Plusnet beta usenet server completion improving again.

Old July 2nd 04, 06:48 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default Plusnet beta usenet server completion improving again.

First some statistics for one large MP3 group, then later figures for
a DVD group.

Looking at headers split by date (not present on the servers on those dates,
but by the Date: header).

Headers is total for the date, not is non-binary parts in the group(s)
in question, complete is the number of multipart complete binaries,
single is the number of single part binaries, total is total number of
multipart binaries, and percent is the percentage of those complete.

A lot better than it was.

The percentage figures are misleading for articles that include PAR
files, as almost all of these can be recovered.

MP3s.

29.Jun
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
16908 1137 110 632 92 742 85.1741
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
23795 1407 86 943 108 1029 91.6415
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
23972 1408 84 962 113 1046 91.9685
30.Jun
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
21184 2008 45 818 81 863 94.7845
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
21613 2041 38 825 82 863 95.5956
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
21615 2042 40 824 82 864 95.3693
01.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
19193 2668 46 657 63 703 93.4553
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
18365 2398 22 667 63 689 96.8056
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
19255 2681 31 672 63 703 95.589

DVD group.

29.Jun
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
56258 15 52 337 6 389 86.6302
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
60776 49 36 498 31 534 93.2567
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
60770 46 34 500 31 534 93.6312
30.Jun
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
55932 784 81 479 322 560 85.5342
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
58053 826 39 565 325 604 93.5415
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
58052 824 41 563 324 604 93.2104
01.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
38534 52 52 353 22 405 87.1583
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
38554 36 19 386 22 405 95.3063
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
38548 30 18 387 22 405 95.5532
Old July 2nd 04, 09:22 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
First some statistics for one large MP3 group, then later figures for
a DVD group.

Looking at headers split by date (not present on the servers on those

dates,
but by the Date: header).

Headers is total for the date, not is non-binary parts in the group(s)
in question, complete is the number of multipart complete binaries,
single is the number of single part binaries, total is total number of
multipart binaries, and percent is the percentage of those complete.

A lot better than it was.

The percentage figures are misleading for articles that include PAR
files, as almost all of these can be recovered.

MP3s.

snip

Hi there,

Indeed we have good news on the beta news server front and hopefully we will
be rolling it live next week. More details can be found on the Service
Status posting he

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.htm...vice_id=usenet

--
+ ----
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---+

Old July 3rd 04, 11:38 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

The percentage figures are misleading for articles that include PAR
files, as almost all of these can be recovered.

MP3s.

29.Jun
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent

Ian how do you manage to come up with stats for the Newsgroups?

Steven.

Old July 4th 04, 02:24 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

In plusnet.service.customer-feedback Steven Campbell wrote:
The percentage figures are misleading for articles that include PAR
files, as almost all of these can be recovered.

MP3s.

29.Jun
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent

Ian how do you manage to come up with stats for the Newsgroups?

Script that I wrote a few years back (awk) to download binaries.
Binary decoding removed, stats-reporting added.
Old July 4th 04, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 04 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Ian Stirling wrote:

Script that I wrote a few years back (awk) to download binaries.
Binary decoding removed, stats-reporting added.

I may have asked in a plusnet group, before, but are you willing
to share the script please ? Peter M.
Old July 4th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

poster wrote:
On 04 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Ian Stirling wrote:

Script that I wrote a few years back (awk) to download binaries.
Binary decoding removed, stats-reporting added.

I may have asked in a plusnet group, before, but are you willing
to share the script please ? Peter M.

I've modified it somewhat recently.
I'll roll it into a ball with not too many messy ends, and mail it to you.
If you don't get it in the next couple of days, mail me.
Old July 7th 04, 06:09 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

In plusnet.service.customer-feedback Ian Stirling wrote:
First some statistics for one large MP3 group, then later figures for
a DVD group.

Looking at headers split by date (not present on the servers on those dates,
but by the Date: header).

snip
To add more recent data.

In general, it seems to be modestly improving, to on a par (for completion,
not retention) with giganews over many of the last four days or so.

Improvement most noticable on DVD/VCD groups.

MP3s.

01.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
19193 2668 46 657 63 703 93.4553
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
18365 2398 22 667 63 689 96.8056
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
19255 2681 31 672 63 703 95.589

02.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
17834 1946 55 764 73 819 93.2834
news.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
2282 70 534 41 71 575 7.13031
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
18232 1963 51 783 74 834 93.8838
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
18229 1962 51 783 74 834 93.8838
03.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
17970 1915 34 609 71 643 94.7108
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
17981 1926 34 609 71 643 94.7108
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
17990 1926 34 610 71 644 94.719
04.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
23516 2733 31 787 99 818 96.2091
news.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
1975 151 657 21 95 678 3.0973
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
22925 2780 24 781 99 805 97.0174
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
23570 2780 24 795 99 819 97.0684
05.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
17281 1426 33 755 76 788 95.811
news.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
2475 83 516 57 65 573 9.94747
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
17310 1436 32 757 78 789 95.943
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
17308 1435 32 758 77 790 95.9482
06.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
14251 744 23 662 79 685 96.6409
news.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
1665 135 514 27 74 541 4.99067
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
15114 761 24 702 81 726 96.6929
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
14873 757 20 697 81 717 97.2092

DVD group.

snip
01.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
38534 52 52 353 22 405 87.1583
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
38554 36 19 386 22 405 95.3063
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
38548 30 18 387 22 405 95.5532

02.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
14576 12 24 169 20 193 87.5602
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
14678 24 26 168 20 194 86.5935
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
14675 22 26 168 20 194 86.5935
03.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
46860 85 31 318 4 349 91.1149
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
46862 90 31 318 4 349 91.1149
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
46863 88 29 320 4 349 91.6879
04.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
27105 256 44 306 16 350 87.4261
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
27124 294 31 319 16 350 91.1403
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
27116 278 31 319 16 350 91.1403
05.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
23743 21 24 361 36 385 93.7638
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
23733 31 23 362 17 385 94.0235
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
23734 29 26 359 17 385 93.2443
06.Jul
beta.usenet.plus.net
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
31356 29 35 284 16 319 89.0254
news.usenetserver.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
30061 36 32 269 16 301 89.3658
news-60.giganews.com
site headers not incomplete complete single total percent
29804 28 40 258 15 298 86.5743

Old July 11th 04, 11:58 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

In uk.telecom.broadband Ian Stirling wrote:
snip

The server has now gone a few days ago.

Over the past 5 days, on no day has completion in either a MP3 group,
or two DVD/VCD groups fallen below 0.3% lower than giganews.

On many days it's higher.

Last post on this, unless it breaks.