Homechoice £13 a month

Old July 2nd 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
·.¸¸.·´¯`Underground Zero´¯`·.¸¸.·

Default Homechoice £13 a month

This is an amazing deal www.homechoice.co.uk
If this service rolls out of London I'm having it

--
·.¸¸.·´¯`Underground Zero´¯`·.¸¸.·

" OFM#20 - Going, Going, G....... Yeah you wish"

Old July 2nd 04, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
catherine

"·.¸¸.·´¯`Underground Zero´¯`·.¸¸.·" wrote in message
This is an amazing deal www.homechoice.co.uk
If this service rolls out of London I'm having it

£13.75 for 1st 3 months only, if ordered by 16th July

http://www.homechoice.co.uk/hc_packages.html

* Usual price for 512k £27.50, 1Mb £35.00, Half price for
first 3 months if ordered by 16th July. Pay-per-rental,
TV Bundle and Premium Package prices will apply.
Subject to terms and conditions, 12 month contract
and local availability. BT line required.

Old July 3rd 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

This is an amazing deal www.homechoice.co.uk
If this service rolls out of London I'm having it

How does the TV work?
Looks like a Freeview/Topup TV STB to me.
The site says you have got to have ADSL available but doesn't seem to
mention that you've got to be in range of a DTT transmitter.

Old July 3rd 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB

How does the TV work?
Looks like a Freeview/Topup TV STB to me.
The site says you have got to have ADSL available but doesn't seem to
mention that you've got to be in range of a DTT transmitter.

The TV service is provided via a BT phone line and has nothing to do with
DTT.

Old July 3rd 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
·.¸¸.·´¯`Underground Zero´¯`·.¸¸.·

"Graham" wrote in message ...

-snip-
How does the TV work?

Over ADSL it's REAL Video on demand not like the Sky Digi nonsense and Tivo.
All content is stored on Remote Content servers at the HC server centres and
you control what you want to watch and when based on the content they
supply.

Looks like a Freeview/Topup TV STB to me.

Totally off the mark - look at their website for how it works.

The site says you have got to have ADSL available but doesn't seem to
mention that you've got to be in range of a DTT transmitter.

Why a DTT transmitter? ADSL doesn't require it so why would HC ;-)

Old July 4th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 02 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "catherine" wrote:

£13.75 for 1st 3 months only, if ordered by 16th July

* Usual price for 512k £27.50, 1Mb £35.00, Half price for first 3
months if ordered by 16th July. Pay-per-rental, TV Bundle and
Premium Package prices will apply.

Thanks for the warning. It still looks fairly good value if one has no Sky
or Freeview and wants extra channels. I don't know how good the quality is
for services like Channel 5, but I already have a Freeview and Sky box (out
of contract, so pay them nothing). I'd certainly be tempted as they seem to
include some channels in their "Broadcast TV" line-up which need a sub with
Sky to be viewable (Discovery, E4, Paramount for starters). Peter M.
Old July 4th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"poster" wrote in message
I don't know how good the quality is
for services like Channel 5, but I already have a Freeview and Sky box

(out
of contract, so pay them nothing). I'd certainly be tempted as they seem

include some channels in their "Broadcast TV" line-up which need a sub

with
Sky to be viewable (Discovery, E4, Paramount for starters). Peter M.

I have seen a couple of HomeChoice installations - this is from before they
launched their LLU service and were relying on BT VideoStream.. and I have
to say the quality of the TV/Video on Demand wasn't at all bad.

With LLU they have even more bandwidth to play with..

The only thing I would have liked to see improve was the time taken to
change between menu's etc to choose what you wanted to watch.. no doubt
partly contributable to the fact that they liked playing "hi quality" music
with each menu (with different music for each menu) so buffering that
sometimes took time.

Of course, the service is limited to SW/W/NW London at the moment - with a
"all London" rollout expected by the end of the year.

HomeChoice have never (yet) in 5 years offered a service outside the M25 -
perhaps their LLU solution is more viable than the BT VideoStream one
though.. I once worked out they could be losing up to £70/month a customer
on that...

Regards
Sunil

Old July 5th 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
·.¸¸.·´¯`Underground Zero´¯`·.¸¸.·

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
-snip-
HomeChoice have never (yet) in 5 years offered a service outside the M25 -
perhaps their LLU solution is more viable than the BT VideoStream one
though..

The wholesale price on Videostream was the problem Sunil the LLU option is
much more viable for them now.

I once worked out they could be losing up to £70/month a customer
on that...

It was in fact costing considerably more than that per subscriber in the old
days and if they left the service you can work out roughly how long they'd
need to subscribe to re-coup that cost ;-)