Netgear DG834 + DG834G: new firmware released v1.05.00

Old July 3rd 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Netgear DG834 + DG834G: new firmware released v1.05.00

Released yesterday..

----
New Features Overview, Version 1.05.00

ADSL Statistics added.
Added ability to upgrade firmware remotely.

Modifications and Bug Fixes, Version 1.05.00

Improved wireless stability.
Rolled back ADSL microcode to fix syncronization issue on some loops.
In NAT Disabled mode, modified default inbound rule to DROP.
NetMeeting voice support fixed.
-----

Downloadable from http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=784

Upgrade at always, at your own risk etc

Regards
Sunil

Old July 3rd 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Rogers

"Sunil Sood" wrote in
:

Released yesterday..

----
New Features Overview, Version 1.05.00

ADSL Statistics added.
Added ability to upgrade firmware remotely.

Modifications and Bug Fixes, Version 1.05.00

Improved wireless stability.
Rolled back ADSL microcode to fix syncronization issue on some loops.
In NAT Disabled mode, modified default inbound rule to DROP.
NetMeeting voice support fixed.
-----

Downloadable from
http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=784

Upgrade at always, at your own risk etc

Regards
Sunil

Just installed it OK. No need to reconfig router after install. Now adds
line attenuation and noise margin values for up & down stream. However
they have not fixed the logging of the admin properly. It logs the first
login but then nothing. On 1.04 levels I did find that if you changed the
idle time for the admin login it then logged the next access, I did pass
this info to Netgear but any fix obviously did not make this version.

Stuart
Old July 4th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Stuart Rogers" wrote in message
"Sunil Sood" wrote in
:

Released yesterday..

----
[...]

Is there much risk in doing these upgrades? I would really like to try the
latest version, but don't want to do something wrong whilst upgrading it and
stuff up the unit. My unit is currently running 1.03.00. Is it worth me
upgrading it to the latest version?

Thanks
Tony

Old July 4th 04, 04:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 4 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Tony"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Is there much risk in doing these upgrades? I would really like to try the
latest version, but don't want to do something wrong whilst upgrading it and
stuff up the unit. My unit is currently running 1.03.00. Is it worth me
upgrading it to the latest version?

Unless the new version plugs some security hole, or you're having issues with
the current version, why bother? If it ain't broke, etc.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old July 4th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Rogers

"Tony" wrote in
:

[...]

In my book if it ain't broke don't fix it! Are you having any problems
with your 1.03 level? If yes then follow the instructions to the letter
for upgrading and see what happens.

I was having a few problems, nothing major, the early level my box was
shipped at, so I went to 1.04 and it fix nearly all except the logging. I
tried 1.05 to see if logging was fixed and to get the ADSL stats which my
old router used to give me, which help if you are having problems with
the line. I've had no problems at all upgrading. Mine is NOT the wireless
box btw.

As always your mileage might vary!!

Stuart
Old July 4th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Tony
writes

"Stuart Rogers" wrote in message
.. .
"Sunil Sood" wrote in
:

Released yesterday..

----
[...]

Rule 1 - If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Are you having any problems that sound like issues in the release notes.
If not you could just leave well alone.

That said mine came with V1.03 I have now upgraded twice (once to 1.04.4
& now to 1.05). In both cases without any problem at all.

Before you do so however It probably makes sense to download the utility
from Netgear's site to recover from a bad upgrade

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=678

- sod's law says that if you have it on your local machine you will
never need it, but if it's unreachable on the internet you will!!

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old July 4th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

"Tony" wrote in message

Is there much risk in doing these upgrades? I would really like to try
the
latest version, but don't want to do something wrong whilst upgrading it
and
stuff up the unit. My unit is currently running 1.03.00. Is it worth me
upgrading it to the latest version?

1.03.00 didn't support VPN properly. But if you don't use it I wouldn't
bother upgrading. 1.04.01 was terrible (the whole thing froze up regularly).
1.05.00 seems ok, but its only been a day sofar.

Old July 4th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Stuart Rogers:
However
they have not fixed the logging of the admin properly. It logs the first
login but then nothing.

Good grief, you can't expect them to get it right on only the 12th (???)
version,
remember this is NETGEAR...
(I think they hire the people that Microsoft fires for incompetence ;-)
Regards,
Martin

Old July 5th 04, 01:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 15:46:20 +0100, "Tony"
wrote:

Is there much risk in doing these upgrades? I would really like to try the
latest version, but don't want to do something wrong whilst upgrading it and
stuff up the unit. My unit is currently running 1.03.00. Is it worth me
upgrading it to the latest version?

Does 1.03 offer WPA security in any form? WPA is a significant
improvement over WEP so if you are security conscious then that might
be worth considering. Also, being nosey and arguing with BT over
whether or not I can get higher speed services, the attenuation
figures are useful which are now included.

All in all, I'd say look at the list of improvements and fixes made in
1.04 and 1.05 on Netgear's site and judge how many of them you think
will be useful to you.

I've upgraded, no problems as yet, but it's only been a few hours. I
do get a much more stable connection with my laptop now, I have
noticed.
Old July 5th 04, 01:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

wrote:

Is there much risk in doing these upgrades? I would really like to try
the
latest version, but don't want to do something wrong whilst upgrading it
and
stuff up the unit. My unit is currently running 1.03.00. Is it worth me
upgrading it to the latest version?

Does 1.03 offer WPA security in any form? WPA is a significant
improvement over WEP so if you are security conscious then that might
be worth considering. Also, being nosey and arguing with BT over
whether or not I can get higher speed services, the attenuation
figures are useful which are now included.

I've got

Line Attenuation 41 db 27 db
Noise Margin 31 db 28 db

I couldn't get ADSL until they did RADSL but when I did have it fited the
engineer said my line was OK.

Now my line checker says I can't get higher speeds, what is wrong? Is it
worth trying?

Incidently the voice quality of my line is occassionaly crap (before and
after I had ADSL) I haven't had to to look at the figures when this happens.