Broadband Newbie

Old July 3rd 04, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
deezer

Default Broadband Newbie

Hi, I've decided to sign up to Wanadoo Broadband but I'm confused
about
the home connecting kit. I have the main BT box downstairs, and an
extension box in the main bedroom and one in the computer room. Would
I be able to just
connect the broadband modem to the extension box in the computer room
or would it involve connecting things to the other boxes. I apologise
in advance as I'm
not very tech aware and am afraid of destroying anything. Thanks in
advance.
Old July 3rd 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Eden

deezer wrote:
Hi, I've decided to sign up to Wanadoo Broadband but I'm confused
about
the home connecting kit. I have the main BT box downstairs, and an
extension box in the main bedroom and one in the computer room. Would
I be able to just
connect the broadband modem to the extension box in the computer room
or would it involve connecting things to the other boxes. I apologise
in advance as I'm
not very tech aware and am afraid of destroying anything. Thanks in
advance.

Extension box - Microfilter - ADSL modem

Main BT Box - Microfilter - telephone

Don't worry - you won't be able to blow anything up :-)

Terry

Old July 4th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RobertJM

AFAIK, you only need a splitter on any box that is being used for normal
use(ie non ADSL).
I have no splitter on the ext I use for my computer as I dont use it for
making phone calls.

RobertJM

om...

Old July 4th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Terry Eden:

Extension box - Microfilter - ADSL modem

That's WRONG, ADSL modem doesn't need microfilter !

Only telephone's, faxes etc. need filters to block the ADSL signal which
causes high pitch noise,
(but some phones do work without microfilter).
Regards,
Martin

Old July 5th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 23:37:20 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:

Terry Eden:

Extension box - Microfilter - ADSL modem

That's WRONG, ADSL modem doesn't need microfilter !

Only telephone's, faxes etc. need filters to block the ADSL signal which
causes high pitch noise,
(but some phones do work without microfilter).
Regards,
Martin

You have opened a can of worms here. A filter DOES NOT block an ADSL
signal to the POTS device, it is the other way round.

I have read most of the threads concerning filters on this newsgroup
for over 18 months now and it is obvious to me that:
1) If your line quality is excellent then no filters are actually
required even if POTS equipment is connected anywhere on the exchange
line.
2) Filters are there to screen oout troublesome interference from POTS
devices.
3) You don't need an individual filter on each POTS device, it is
quite in order to use a 'doubler' down stream from a filter.
4) You can exchange the face plate on the master socket to have an
ADSL socket + POTS socket at that location but all downstream hired
wired extensions will only be suitable for POTS equipment.
5) There appears to be a replacement face plate for the master socket
that would give both ADSL and POTS on down stream extensions but
details of the items required and a wiring diagram seem hard to come
by.
6) The use of extension leads with an ADSL service hanging off the end
is depreciated; better to have fixed wiring in place (something to do
with the twisting of pairs, within the cable run, apparently].
7) Some filters do not do what the say on the tin. Exchanging a
filter for a more upmarket version often resolves end user problem.
BUT no one has actually given an order of merit for filters so its
difficult to know what is a good or less satisfactory filter.
8) The most expensive place to buy filters is apparently PCWorld.
9) A pre-requisite for a self install ADSL circuit is that not only do
you need a BT Line but your home wiring must have a socket to plug the
service into! There are still some hard wired telephones out there.
10) The filter provides an easy method to connect your ADSL modem to.
11) A SKY box needs to be downstream of a filter.

NOW, anyone diasgree with any of these statements?

David Bradley
Old July 5th 04, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 07:13:29 UTC, David Bradley
wrote:

1) If your line quality is excellent then no filters are actually
required even if POTS equipment is connected anywhere on the exchange
line.

A sweeping statement. It may work for you but it is not a good starting
point. The connected equipment is a factor.

http://www.clarity.it among others

6) The use of extension leads with an ADSL service hanging off the end
is depreciated; better to have fixed wiring in place (something to do
with the twisting of pairs, within the cable run, apparently].

I think that's 'deprecated' - which is completely different.

7) Some filters do not do what the say on the tin. Exchanging a
filter for a more upmarket version often resolves end user problem.
BUT no one has actually given an order of merit for filters so its
difficult to know what is a good or less satisfactory filter.

There is a good websiite for this but I forget the name. Someone?

10) The filter provides an easy method to connect your ADSL modem to.

I think that's a sentence...?

11) A SKY box needs to be downstream of a filter.

Superfluous - it's POTS equipment and already covered by an earlier
statement.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old July 5th 04, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Reader

David Bradley wrote:
Terry Eden:
Extension box - Microfilter - ADSL modem

That's WRONG, ADSL modem doesn't need microfilter !

The filter is needed where POTS CPE (eg, a telephone) is to be connected.

The OP may have a filter there with both a telephone and an ADSL modem
connected.

Only telephone's, faxes etc. need filters to block the ADSL signal which
causes high pitch noise,
(but some phones do work without microfilter).

You have opened a can of worms here. A filter DOES NOT block an ADSL
signal to the POTS device, it is the other way round.

My reading of BT SIN 346, and other documentation referencing ITU-T G992.1
is that the filter does indeed attenuate the high frequency DSL signal
towards the POTS equipment.

That's why the POTS (voice) circuit from the combined Master Socket /
Filter is only suitable for voice - the DSL signal has been filtered.

"A low pass filter prevents high frequency data traffic from entering the
POTS terminal equipment. It provides sufficient attenuation of the local
upstream ADSL signals to eliminate interference to the POTS equipment from
the subscribers own modem. This could be harmful to the POTS equipment as
it frequently contains many non-linear devices which can act as
demodulators when presented with high frequency signals, resulting in
voice band noise." (http://www.isomatic.co.uk/Splitters-Filters.htm)

snip

NOW, anyone diasgree with any of these statements?

Yes.

Please provide references that support your position.

I haven't obtained the text of ITU-T G992.1, but BT SIN 346 & other
documents which reference G992.1 appear to support my understanding that
the filters are low-pass filters which pass only voice-band signals to the
POTS CPE.

d.

Old July 6th 04, 02:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

David Bradley:
(long WRONG and confusing explanations snipped)
NOW, anyone diasgree with any of these statements?

Obviously I DO.
See Dave Readers post as to why.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 6th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Martin²" wrote in message
Terry Eden:

Extension box - Microfilter - ADSL modem

That's WRONG, ADSL modem doesn't need microfilter !

Only telephone's, faxes etc. need filters to block the ADSL signal which
causes high pitch noise,
(but some phones do work without microfilter).
Regards,
Martin

Quire right.
About 25% of filters I see are "wasted" because they are mealy acting as an
RJ11 to BT plug converter and serve no other purpose ie. Modem only no POTS
device.

The ADSL port of all the filters I have examined are wired directly to the
line and have a LPF between the line and the POTS port. Maybe some high
grade filters do have a Hi Pass to the ADSL but I haven't seen one.

Graham.

--
%Profound_observation%