Best / cheapest and easiest to setup wirleess router ??

Old July 4th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
____

Default Best / cheapest and easiest to setup wirleess router ??

I'm looking for one which is totally childs play to setup. Any suggestions
?

Also can I contiune to use my internal ADSL modem in the main pc or does
this have to be disabled when using the router with it's own built in adsl
modem ?

Old July 4th 04, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:46:43 +0100, "____" strung
together this:

I'm looking for one which is totally childs play to setup. Any suggestions
?

Not that I've set many up but I haven't found any all that difficult
yet.

Also can I contiune to use my internal ADSL modem in the main pc or does
this have to be disabled when using the router with it's own built in adsl
modem ?

No, you can only have one ADSL modem connected to the ADSL line at any
one time. You can leave the modem in your PC but disconnect it from
the phone line when the router is installed, but once you're connected
through the router you shouldn't need it anyway.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 4th 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

____ wrote:

I'm looking for one which is totally childs play to setup. Any
suggestions ?

Also can I contiune to use my internal ADSL modem in the main pc or
does this have to be disabled when using the router with it's own
built in adsl modem ?

Virtually all wireless routers are a doddle to set up - but are *also* a pig
to set up.

Let me explain.

They will virtually all work straight out of the box with a minimum of
config effort (enter user name & password etc.). BUT, this will give you a
very insecure mode of operation - where casual, or more sinister,
eavesdroppers can hack into your local network with ease.

So you need to turn on all the security measures - like:
- preventing your network ID from being broadcast
- using the highest level of encription available to your router and PCs
- implementing MAC address filtering

These things are *not* simple, and have to be worked at. You are likely to
find that the encription options are not presented in quite the same way on
your router and your PC wireless cards - even if they come from the same
stable. This can present a bit of a challenge to find settings which will
work together whilst providing the required level of security.

It is highly desirable to have at least *one* PC with a wired connection to
the router, to facilitate configuration. If you do your configs over a
wireless connection and you accidentally prevent your PC from talking to the
router (it *can* happen!), you have a *major* headache.

With regard to the use of your existing internal ADSL modem, you can only
have one ADSL device connected to the line at any one time - otherwise
neither will work. So you should unplug your modem, and connect that PC to
the router either via a network cable or wirelessly.

HTH.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 4th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Rogers

Lurch wrote in
:

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:46:43 +0100, "____" strung
together this:
No, you can only have one ADSL modem connected to the ADSL line at any
one time. You can leave the modem in your PC but disconnect it from
the phone line when the router is installed, but once you're connected
through the router you shouldn't need it anyway.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

I'd keep the old modem as backup. I wish I had one a while ago when trying
to debug a problem!

Stuart
Old July 4th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RobertJM

Got a Belkin one (7630) from PC World today for £90 as my modem is on the
wonk, I know , but couldn't be bother waiting for one to be delivered.
Got it set up no bother, although not using the wireless part yet.
Plug router into mains,phone socket and computer LAN socket then just needed
to put in my user name and password, choose PPoA or whatever(using IE) and
that was it.
Though you will need to buy a wireless card for any other computer you want
to connect.

RobertJM

PS. I disable my PCI Modem before hand but left it in , just in case.

Old July 4th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

"RobertJM" wrote in message
Got a Belkin one (7630) from PC World today for £90 as my modem is on the
wonk, I know , but couldn't be bother waiting for one to be delivered.
Got it set up no bother, although not using the wireless part yet.
Plug router into mains,phone socket and computer LAN socket then just

needed

So I have to enable my built in LAN on the pc ? Do you get the RJ45 cable ?

Old July 4th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"___" wrote in message

"RobertJM" wrote in message
Got a Belkin one (7630) from PC World today for £90 as my modem is
on the wonk, I know , but couldn't be bother waiting for one to be
delivered. Got it set up no bother, although not using the wireless
part yet.
Plug router into mains,phone socket and computer LAN socket then
just needed

So I have to enable my built in LAN on the pc ? Do you get the RJ45
cable ?

Yes, to both questions..

Regards
Sunil

Old July 4th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

The best (for home use) is Draytek Vigor 2600G, but as you should KNOW, it
won't be the cheapest !
But it has all the facilities you may need and it will save you days of
tearing your hair out trying to get some cheep Netgear one to work properly.
Don't ask how I know.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 5th 04, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
____

"Martin²" wrote in message
The best (for home use) is Draytek Vigor 2600G, but as you should KNOW, it
won't be the cheapest !
But it has all the facilities you may need and it will save you days of
tearing your hair out trying to get some cheep Netgear one to work

properly.
Don't ask how I know.

Thanks but the Belkin one seems the one I want judging by the comments on
ebuyer where it's somewhat cheaper also than pc world

Old July 5th 04, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 01:37:39 +0100, "____" wrote:

"Martin²" wrote in message
The best (for home use) is Draytek Vigor 2600G, but as you should KNOW, it
won't be the cheapest !
But it has all the facilities you may need and it will save you days of
tearing your hair out trying to get some cheep Netgear one to work

properly.
Don't ask how I know.

Thanks but the Belkin one seems the one I want judging by the comments on
ebuyer where it's somewhat cheaper also than pc world

OK you have been advised what to buy but have decided to purchase a
Belkin product. Plese not the time and effort required to get this up
and running for you and add an entry to this thread when you have
either success or given up with the struggle. We will expect a
configuration that has at least some security on your wireless network
and not using the default settings.

David Bradley