Fax over Boradband again ( or over Web at any rate)

Old July 5th 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Default Fax over Boradband again ( or over Web at any rate)

A little while ago, someone posted a link [
http://www.tpc.int/sendfax.html ] which enables faxes to be sent directly
from the internet without requiring a fax machine or fax modem - and without
incurring any telephone call charge for so doing.

I have succeeded in making this work, using the web form, as referenced.
This works ok, but requires a bit a manual effort to formulate the "fax
number" which is, in fact, a complicated email address with the recipient's
fax number embedded in it - and it's also not too hot on attachments.

The link also includes a reference to downloadable software in the form of a
client application and pseudo printer driver which, together, purport to be
able to turn any printable document into a fax and send it over the tpc.int
network. This would be brilliant, but I can't get it to work! The driver
builds the fax email address, which is supposed to include
" but *actually* says [email protected] etc
(with a dot instead of a dash, so that it doesn't work).

The link contains an email address for support, but this is invalid!

Has anyone had any more success than me with this? Any help would be much
appreciated.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 5th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:02:44 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
strung together this:

Has anyone had any more success than me with this? Any help would be much
appreciated.

I tried setting it up last year and have just tried again but gave up
as all my current fax numbers are 07*** *** *** so I couldn't test it,
(it doesn't send to mobile numbers). I find it easier to use the old
56k modem method for the amount I send faxes. If I were sending a
large amount I probably wouldn't want to rely on the tcp project and
would buy a fax machine.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 5th 04, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Tiscali Tim wrote:

[...]

I have sent one to my 0551 number. And it worked ok.
Old July 5th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

sean -k wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

[...]

Yes, but how did you generate the fax? Did you use the HQFAX2K software
downloaded from the tpc.int site, or did you create it entirely manually? I
can successfully send manually produced ones - it's when I try to use the
software that I'm having problems.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 5th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

Hi TT
I saw that post and tried the web-based tcp.int and it works every time.

However, try as I might I could get no joy at all from the downloadable
application FaxHQ
It doesn't ring the target phone and I just get a failure email like this:-

The original message was received at Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:57:11 +0100 (BST)
from [213.78.161.175]

----- The following addresses had permanent delivery errors -----

This is the Manchester landline I was trying to fax with interdigit periods
and reversed. Is that right?

The phone number field in FaxHQ is divided into 3 - I was putting the
number in the following format
44-161-7731188

The version of FaxHQ I've got is positively ancient. Only recognises 8.1
filenames etc.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 6th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Graham wrote:

[...]

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. What OpSys are you using - because there seem to be
several versions of HQFax for various versions of Windows. The most recent
version seems to be aimed at Windows2000. This is the version I'm trying to
use on XP because there isn't an XP version per se. I even tried running it
in 2000 Compatibility Mode.

The email address it has rejected looks ok to me. Did the rejection come
from tpc or from your ISP? [My understanding is that the address can be in
either of 2 forms - either like you have it, or with the fax number the
right way round without dots but with .iddd between the last digit and
..tpc.int]

Did you generate the email address manually, or did the software generate
it? In my case, the software generates it but gets it wrong - putting
remote.printer rather than remote-printer.

I would like to get this sorted but there doesn't seem to be any support for
it - the writer seems to have stopped developing the software a couple of
years ago. I don't send many faxes, but this would be a neat way to do it if
it could be made to work.

I have a fax-2-email facility with PlusNet for *incoming* faxes for which
they have issued me with an 0870 number. I need to receive a fax every month
or so to keep the number active - otherwise they de-allocate it.

I was trying to use the tpc facility to send myself this fax. Surprisingly,
if I do it manually, it works - I wasn't expecting it to with an 0870
number! I just need this last little bit to put the icing on the cake . .

Thanks for your interest.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 7th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Tiscali Tim wrote:
[...]

Do you send many faxes? If you’re just sending to 01 and 02 numbers, and its nothing
confidential, I will send them for you.
Old July 7th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

sean -k wrote:

Do you send many faxes? If you’re just sending to 01 and 02 numbers,
and its nothing confidential, I will send them for you.

Thanks for your kind offer - but I actually send very few faxes. The only
regular ones are to myself, to keep my fax2email facility from lapsing - and
that is an 0870 number.

Just occasionally - very infrequently - someone who doesn't have email
access might ask me to fax something to them. I can do it perfectly easily
by plugging my old fax modem into the phone line, but the idea appealed to
me of doing it for free using tpc.int. As I explained earlier, I *can* do
this if I use the web form and construct the email address mauually, but I
would prefer to automate it by means of the HQFax software - except that it
doesn't work!

So I'm not stuck - but I'm still looking for someone who has used HQFax
successfully to tell me what I am doing wrong.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 7th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Tiscali Tim wrote:
sean -k wrote:

[...]

I’ve got free calls to 01 and 02 numbers, so wouldn’t bother me!