cheap router recommendation for Mac

Old July 6th 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne

Default cheap router recommendation for Mac

Hi,

I'm just wondering what you'd recommend for a cheap (but reliable)
router for a Mac. (I'm running 8.6, and would rather not upgrade- as it
would go into the ethernet port on my laptop, that's probably not an
issue, I hope.)

I don't need anything fancy. I'm just tired of some of the usb issues...

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old July 6th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm just wondering what you'd recommend for a cheap (but reliable)
router for a Mac.
I don't need anything fancy. I'm just tired of some of the usb issues...

Any should work afaik - you usually connect to the router via an inbuilt
web interface, so I can`t imagine that having a problem with almost any
machine built in the last 10 years :-}

I`ve got the (now unavailable) AR41 from ebuyer and i`ve had no problems
at all with it, and others have had varied luck with the ASR-8400 which
is still available £27.99+VAT (4 port) their ref: 48449

Old July 6th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:35:38 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

I'm just wondering what you'd recommend for a cheap (but reliable)
router for a Mac.
I don't need anything fancy. I'm just tired of some of the usb issues...

Any should work afaik - you usually connect to the router via an inbuilt
web interface, so I can`t imagine that having a problem with almost any
machine built in the last 10 years :-}

I`ve got the (now unavailable) AR41 from ebuyer and i`ve had no problems
at all with it, and others have had varied luck with the ASR-8400 which
is still available £27.99+VAT (4 port) their ref: 48449

2nd that .. I've AR11, works like a horse, 1.5 years running without
switching it off. No idea if the Origo ASR-8400 is as reliable as the
AR11/41 but for the mentioned price above from ebuyer.co.uk, you won't go
wrong with it.
Old July 6th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne

Colin Wilson wrote:

I'm just wondering what you'd recommend for a cheap (but reliable)
router for a Mac.
I don't need anything fancy. I'm just tired of some of the usb issues...

Any should work afaik - you usually connect to the router via an inbuilt
web interface, so I can`t imagine that having a problem with almost any
machine built in the last 10 years :-}

Many thanks- that's what I suspected.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old July 6th 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne

Wira One wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 10:35:38 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

I'm just wondering what you'd recommend for a cheap (but reliable)
router for a Mac.
I don't need anything fancy. I'm just tired of some of the usb issues...

Any should work afaik - you usually connect to the router via an inbuilt
web interface, so I can`t imagine that having a problem with almost any
machine built in the last 10 years :-}

I`ve got the (now unavailable) AR41 from ebuyer and i`ve had no problems
at all with it, and others have had varied luck with the ASR-8400 which
is still available £27.99+VAT (4 port) their ref: 48449

2nd that .. I've AR11, works like a horse, 1.5 years running without
switching it off. No idea if the Origo ASR-8400 is as reliable as the
AR11/41 but for the mentioned price above from ebuyer.co.uk, you won't go
wrong with it.

Well, this will probably sound terrible, but I couldn't resist waiting,
and went out to PC World and bought a Zoom X3. Probably not the best
deal, I'm sure, but I'm very happy with it so far.

I'm now scratching my head wondering why I put up with having a stinking
USB modem for so long...

It works like a dream, and the best thing is that no amount of USB stuff
(from using the keyboard to printing stuff out to using my midi
keyboard) affects the adsl performance. Fab!

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net