Home Highway and Airport extreme

Old July 6th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Perryman

Default Home Highway and Airport extreme

Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I'm about to move into an area which doesn't have broadband or adsl. I've
decided to opt for BT's Home Highway instead, after which I'll get some
unmetered ISDN access from an ISP (does anyone have any suggestions? I was
looking a package at MacAce.)

The thing is this:

I have a new iBook and a PC running Windows XP. I wanted to set up a
wireless network using an Airport Extreme base station and I was assuming
this could be done using the USB port (which connects the Airport Extreme to
the USB socket on the Home Highway box).

However, now I'm not sure whether you can use the Airport with the Home
Highway set-up (and the new BT midband isn't Mac compatible). Is it
possible? Does anyone know for sure?

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's driving me potty!

Thanks

Neil

Old July 6th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Neil Perryman" wrote in message

I'm about to move into an area which doesn't have broadband or adsl.
I've decided to opt for BT's Home Highway instead

Have you checked if/when your exchange is being ADSL enabled?

Most exchanges will have it by next Summer and will have a "go live" date
already assigned to it.

The only reason, I mention this, is remember Home Highway/Midband have a
minimum 12 month contract, unless you decide to get ADSL from a "BT Branded"
ISP (BT Broadband and BT Yahoo)

The thing is this:

I have a new iBook and a PC running Windows XP. I wanted to set up a
wireless network using an Airport Extreme base station and I was
assuming this could be done using the USB port (which connects the
Airport Extreme to the USB socket on the Home Highway box).

The USB port would be expecting a ISDN TA/router with the appropiate USB
drivers installed - I seriously doubt a WiFi base station would work

http://www.mckerracher.org/highway/ has a lot of good information on
HH/ISDN.

and the new BT midband isn't Mac compatible

BT Midband will work fine with a Mac - you will just need to supply your own
ISDN PCI Card or a Terminal Adapter and not use their USB driver software

Regards
Sunil

Old July 6th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 6 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

you will just need to supply your own ISDN PCI Card or a Terminal Adapter

( or an ISDN router, with ethernet connections to the kit )

and not use their USB driver software

and dig out the phone number(s) to use as they did not seem to make that
info widely available, assumed one had a PC and used their connection s/w
(I used BT Midband with my router a year or so ago, for a month or two)
Old July 7th 04, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Perryman

"poster" wrote in message
On 6 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

you will just need to supply your own ISDN PCI Card or a Terminal Adapter

( or an ISDN router, with ethernet connections to the kit )

and not use their USB driver software

and dig out the phone number(s) to use as they did not seem to make that
info widely available, assumed one had a PC and used their connection s/w
(I used BT Midband with my router a year or so ago, for a month or two)

Thanks for all your help so far. I think I'm going to try a Wireless
ADSL/ISDN router - that should do the trick, shouldn't it?

Neil

Old July 7th 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Norris

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 00:19:09 +0100, "Neil Perryman"
wrote:

"poster" wrote in message
.. .
On 6 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

you will just need to supply your own ISDN PCI Card or a Terminal Adapter

( or an ISDN router, with ethernet connections to the kit )

and not use their USB driver software

and dig out the phone number(s) to use as they did not seem to make that
info widely available, assumed one had a PC and used their connection s/w
(I used BT Midband with my router a year or so ago, for a month or two)

Thanks for all your help so far. I think I'm going to try a Wireless
ADSL/ISDN router - that should do the trick, shouldn't it?

Neil

That would probably be your best bet - a Vigor 2600VGi? -
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600v.html

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc
Old July 7th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Perryman

"Alan Norris" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 00:19:09 +0100, "Neil Perryman"
wrote:

"poster" wrote in message
.. .
On 6 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

you will just need to supply your own ISDN PCI Card or a Terminal

Adapter

( or an ISDN router, with ethernet connections to the kit )

and not use their USB driver software

and dig out the phone number(s) to use as they did not seem to make

that
info widely available, assumed one had a PC and used their connection

s/w
(I used BT Midband with my router a year or so ago, for a month or two)

Thanks for all your help so far. I think I'm going to try a Wireless
ADSL/ISDN router - that should do the trick, shouldn't it?

Neil

That would probably be your best bet - a Vigor 2600VGi? -
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600v.html

Yep, that's the one I have my eye on - apparantly it is compatible with Home
Highway and I'm assuming my Airport Extreme Card in my iBook will work with
it too?

Thanks for all your help

Neil

Old July 7th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 7 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Neil Perryman" wrote:

Thanks for all your help so far. I think I'm going to try a Wireless
ADSL/ISDN router - that should do the trick, shouldn't it?

Unless the price is especially low you might be better off with an ADSL
modem/router which has wireless facilities in it (something compatible
for your Apple kit) and a cheap(ish) ISDN router (which might be had on
Ebay s/h), to use for now and sell later, unless you expect to make use
of ISDN as a fallback in future. You may be paying OTT cost for such a
combined unit if you will only ever be using part of it, but that's my
view, and if the cash is burning a hole.... :-)
Old July 10th 04, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Neil Perryman wrote:
Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help me.
I'm about to move into an area which doesn't have broadband or adsl. I've
decided to opt for BT's Home Highway instead, after which I'll get some
unmetered ISDN access from an ISP (does anyone have any suggestions? I was
looking a package at MacAce.)

Demon do one, premier connect plus, 19.99/month.
Cobined with surftime 24/7 (or whatever they are calling it now) this
is around 40 quid/month for 24*7 access.
Old July 10th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 10 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Ian Stirling wrote:

this is around 40 quid/month for 24*7 access.

closer to 50 now... BT Surftime Anytime went up to 30 a month on 01/07/04
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Customer_Opts.boo/1246.htm
Old July 10th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

poster wrote:
On 10 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Ian Stirling wrote:

this is around 40 quid/month for 24*7 access.

closer to 50 now... BT Surftime Anytime went up to 30 a month on 01/07/04
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Customer_Opts.boo/1246.htm

Right, forgot that, as I'm not using it anymore.
(using plusnet ADSL, as demon did not support migration of HH to ADSL)