Laptops and Broadband

Old July 6th 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Default Laptops and Broadband

Hi,

I have a laptop and want to get broadband but would like to get it on the
laptop via a wireless connection, how can I do this? Can you get a
braodband router which is wireless and a wireless PCMCIA card and be good to
go? If so, which would you recommend?

--

Dan Pickard
-----------------------

Old July 6th 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:47:53 +0100, "Dan"
strung together this:

Hi,

I have a laptop and want to get broadband but would like to get it on the
laptop via a wireless connection, how can I do this? Can you get a
braodband router which is wireless and a wireless PCMCIA card and be good to
go?

Pretty much, yes. As long as there's a modem in there somewhere.

If so, which would you recommend?

Linksys were just doing a deal, (or was it D-Link), for a router and
card bundle. It's in this group somewhere recently.

--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 6th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jimbo

wrote:

Hi,

I have a laptop and want to get broadband but would like to get it on the
laptop via a wireless connection, how can I do this? Can you get a
braodband router which is wireless and a wireless PCMCIA card and be good to
go? If so, which would you recommend?

I've got the same setup as you ..

I'm using a DLink D604T Wireless Router (80 from PC World) and a 13
PCMCIA wireless card from Maplins

No problems at my end ..

Jim
Old July 6th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dan" wrote in message

I have a laptop and want to get broadband but would like to get it on
the laptop via a wireless connection, how can I do this? Can you get
a braodband router which is wireless and a wireless PCMCIA card and
be good to go? If so, which would you recommend?

Yes. just make sure your "broadband router" includes a built in ADSL modem.

I would personally go for the Belkin 7630 ADSL wireless modem/routerand a
Belkin wireless card..

Regards
Sunil

Old July 6th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Sunil Sood wrote:

"Dan" wrote in message

I have a laptop and want to get broadband but would like to get it on
the laptop via a wireless connection, how can I do this? Can you get
a braodband router which is wireless and a wireless PCMCIA card and
be good to go? If so, which would you recommend?

Yes. just make sure your "broadband router" includes a built in ADSL
modem.

I would personally go for the Belkin 7630 ADSL wireless
modem/routerand a Belkin wireless card..

Regards
Sunil

Whatever kit you go for, make sure that you can also set up a *wired*
connection between the laptop and router when you want to tweek the configs.

If your *only* connection is wireless, and you foul up the config of the
router such that the laptop no longer talks to it, your stuffed!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 6th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Good point. I never thought of that. Cheers.

--

Dan Pickard
-----------------------

Old July 6th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Thanks for the confirmation and recommendations, that really helped.
Hopefully by next week I will be wirelessly speeding along with broadband.

--

Dan Pickard
-----------------------

Old July 6th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:33:52 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"Dan" wrote in message
I have a laptop and want to get broadband but would like to get it on
the laptop via a wireless connection, how can I do this? Can you get
a braodband router which is wireless and a wireless PCMCIA card and
be good to go? If so, which would you recommend?

Yes. just make sure your "broadband router" includes a built in ADSL modem.

I would personally go for the Belkin 7630 ADSL wireless modem/routerand a
Belkin wireless card..

Sunil here looked closely at the Netgear DG834G and bought the Belkin
7630. I looked closely at the Belkin 7630 and bought the Netgear
DG834G.

I think we're both happy with our purchases :-) and both routers would
serve the purpose you are looking for. ebuyer.com are generally
amongst the cheapest for this equipment (did someone say PC World?)
and in same cases are doing package deals which include the PCMCIA
card you would need.

You will also see similar equipment there from manufacturers like
3Com, Buffalo, DLink, Linksys and US Robotics.

Whichever you chose I would recommend that you buy the PCMCIA card
from the same manufacturer.

You probably should also know that cable and ADSL connections are not
the same. If you are planning to go with Blueyonder or NTL World the
ADSL routers would not be appropriate. However most manufacturers
also do a cable variant.
Old July 12th 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

If you have a recent laptop check to see if it is "wireless enabled", look
for a Wi Fi label or similar, in which case you will not need the PCMCIA
card