How can I find out my line loss?

Old July 6th 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Watkins

Default How can I find out my line loss?

Hi there,
Yes, I am one of the unfortunate people who cannot get BB because my job
forces me to live over 6Km from my local exchange (however, not by much, as
some people on my estate can get it!)

My question is -

You all seem to know a lot about your signal levels and attenuation levels
on your BT line - How do you find that out?

Has anyone got any figures quoted by BT that have to be met in order to
receive BB?

Is there any way of finding out the exact LINE LENGTH of my BT line?

Thanks for any help,

Pete W
A frustrated and impatient dialup user.

Old July 6th 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Pete Watkins wrote:
Hi there,
Yes, I am one of the unfortunate people who cannot get BB because
my job forces me to live over 6Km from my local exchange (however,
not by much, as some people on my estate can get it!)

My question is -

You all seem to know a lot about your signal levels and attenuation
levels on your BT line - How do you find that out?

Has anyone got any figures quoted by BT that have to be met in
order to receive BB?

Is there any way of finding out the exact LINE LENGTH of my BT line?

Thanks for any help,

Pete W
A frustrated and impatient dialup user.

The line length only has a rough correlation to your line loss which is
affected by many things (construction of the cables making up your line, how
many joints & how they are made etc). The only way you can get a line loss
figure is by having an ADSL line & testing it or if you're one of the people
right on the edge where BT will send out an engineer to check it before they
make the decision about whether to let you have it or not. The officiall
max line loss, measured in the field (at the moment) is 60db, but you will
find people who have had self-installs who are over that & working ok...

Old July 7th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Pete Watkins wrote:

Hi there,
Yes, I am one of the unfortunate people who cannot get BB because my
job forces me to live over 6Km from my local exchange (however, not
by much, as some people on my estate can get it!)

My question is -

You all seem to know a lot about your signal levels and attenuation
levels on your BT line - How do you find that out?

Has anyone got any figures quoted by BT that have to be met in order
to receive BB?

Is there any way of finding out the exact LINE LENGTH of my BT line?

Thanks for any help,

Pete W
A frustrated and impatient dialup user.

Line loss is one of those "chicken and egg" things! One you have ADSL
installed, your modem or router will measure it for you.

The usual advice to people whose line is being rejected by BT's automatic
check is to find an ISP who will place a manual order for you. BT then have
to measure it properly rather than making an arbitraty decision based on
distance - and you may find that it's ok.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 7th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

"Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Line loss is one of those "chicken and egg" things! One you have ADSL
installed, your modem or router will measure it for you.

Am I misunderstanding something here? The signal reaching your modem or
router has already suffered the loss, so how can it measure the loss
without knowing what it was to start with? Or does it assume some
starting value?

--
Alec McKenzie

Old July 7th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Alec McKenzie wrote:

"Tiscali Tim" wrote:

Line loss is one of those "chicken and egg" things! One you have ADSL
installed, your modem or router will measure it for you.

Am I misunderstanding something here? The signal reaching your modem
or router has already suffered the loss, so how can it measure the
loss without knowing what it was to start with? Or does it assume some
starting value?

Dunno - but this is what my router says:

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 26 dB 25.5 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 19 dBm
Attenuation 31.5 dB 55 dB