More questions about WPA (sorry!)

Old July 7th 04, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

Default More questions about WPA (sorry!)

Okay, further to the previous thread, I decided I would switch over to
WPA from WEP. I do not really require that level of security but
since the facility is there I figured I might as well use it.

Setting up WPA-PSK was a simple task, just telling the router the
passcode I wanted it to use and applying it. I then started the
laptop and and couldn't log in (it was offering up the 128 bit WEP
key). It was a simple matter in the Netgear GUI to switch to advanced
security and enter the key. The laptop then logged in successfully.

So am I now way more secure than before? The help information on the
router interface seems to think I am. However, and this is the bit I
don't get, why does the Netgear GUI on the laptop still show my
network has having WEP as its security when it scans for available
networks. Net Stumbler also has WEP as my security type. Am I
missing something here?

I even tried being smart. I set the router to use WPA-802.1x instead.
Of course now I couldn't even log in to my own network (what's a
radius server, btw) but I could still detect it with Netstumbler.
Still it said WEP, as did the Netgear GUI.

Clearly there is something about WPA which I just don't get! Anyone?
Old July 7th 04, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:21:22 +0100, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

So am I now way more secure than before?

Yes, assuming you entered a maximum length key.

I even tried being smart. I set the router to use WPA-802.1x instead.
Of course now I couldn't even log in to my own network (what's a
radius server, btw)

If you need to ask that question dot 1x is not for you.

greg

--
Konnt ihr mich horen?
Konnt ihr mich sehen?
Old July 7th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

So am I now way more secure than before?

Yes, assuming you entered a maximum length key.

I was just experimenting at that stage so no. I have subsequently
used a longer a more complicated key.

I even tried being smart. I set the router to use WPA-802.1x instead.
Of course now I couldn't even log in to my own network (what's a
radius server, btw)

If you need to ask that question dot 1x is not for you.

I didn't think it was, I was just trying to work out why all my
scanning equipment showed my network security as being WEP when it is
actually WPA. No-one has commented on this particular question.

WPA-PSK is an absolute doddle. Using it appears to have made no
difference whatsoever in terms of throughput across the network, I
just can't figured why all the network scanning software calls it WEP.