Set up router to router VPN ....

Old July 7th 04, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

Default Set up router to router VPN ....

Tx2 wrote:
Yee gads, someone has given me the chance to set up 2 XP machines for
VPN.

Both machines are connected to broadband via routers (one is a Draytek,
i'm not sure what the other is yet)

I can see some tutorials on the net regarding VPN, but they seem to
refer to using dial-up networking in some way, is there anywhere that
will give me an idiots guide to ADSL VPN 'router to router' as it were?

The Draytek site in general and
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup.html in particular is full
of useful info.

JP
Old July 8th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

At which point i have to ask ... what do i do next?

So the routers are configured, but how do i access the remote PC??
I want to be able to see files and directories.
There is something to set up in windows XP?

I've Googled for "how to ... " but it seems to all be Universities et
al.

Assumming you have the VPN set up correctly between the two routers (I
currently do this with two Vigors and it works very well), then all you need
to do is first create a network share on the remote PC (share the folder you
want to access over the VPN) and then use your local PC to access the local
IP address and network share on the remote PC. You need to use a login and
password that are defined on the remote PC.

To map the remote drive on the local PC, use Windows Explorer, Tools Map
Network Drive. Use the "Connect using a different user name" and specify the
login for the remote PC. Put the IP address and network share of the remote
router in the following format:

\\192.168.1.1\network_share

Every time you click the mapped drive locally, your local router will decide
that it resolves to an IP address that is remote and will start the VPN
automatically.

Simple as that.

P.S Make sure that the two routers use different subnets though (i.e
192.168.1.X and 192.168.2.X) otherwise the VPN won't kick in.