ADSL checker says I can only have 512kb ... but I already have a 2mbit line???

Old July 7th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

Default ADSL checker says I can only have 512kb ... but I already have a 2mbit line???

Hi,

I'm looking to switch to Bulldog and their PrimeTime 2000 product. Just done
a check with my phone number on their site and they say my line is only
capable of 512kb.

Of course I would believe this, were it not for the fact that I already have
a 2mbit line with Eclipse. Even more strange, on the eclipse site they also
say I can only have 512kb.

What's going on?!?!?!?

Gerard

Old July 7th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message

I'm looking to switch to Bulldog and their PrimeTime 2000 product.
Just done a check with my phone number on their site and they say my
line is only capable of 512kb.

Of course I would believe this, were it not for the fact that I
already have a 2mbit line with Eclipse. Even more strange, on the
eclipse site they also say I can only have 512kb.

What's going on?!?!?!?

It just means the BT Wholesale checker is wrong - it happens quite a lot..

In fact, I have the same "issue" with my 2MB line here as well. - after it
was installed the checker started saying "512K only"

All the ISP's will be using the same BT Wholesale database, hence you
getting the same result on various checkers.

If Bulldog raise this as an issue/reject your order for this, just explain
to them that you have/had a 2MB service on this line and ask them to submit
what is called a "manual order" to BT - this bypasses the ADSL Checker and
means BT will actually retest your line for you.. -- which you should then
pass and the order will go ahead.

Finally, I'd be grateful, if you do decide to use Bulldog's service if you
could quote my referral code when signing up - just quote "bdol 87431" when
signing up online (under "How did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a
Friend") or mention it when ordering by telephone.

I am using PrimeTime 2000 in SW London, so if you have any other questions,
let me know.

Regards
Sunil

Old July 7th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Precious

Gerard McGovern wrote:

I'm looking to switch to Bulldog and their PrimeTime 2000 product. Just
done a check with my phone number on their site and they say my line is
only capable of 512kb.

Of course I would believe this, were it not for the fact that I already
have a 2mbit line with Eclipse. Even more strange, on the eclipse site
they also say I can only have 512kb.

What's going on?!?!?!?

The BT availability checker has decided, in its infinite wisdom that your
line can't support it. Eclipse and Bulldog's checkers will both use BT's
checker to get the information, as will just about every UK ADSL ISP.

Double check the result with BT's own checker, if that says the same, either
contact BT (150 I guess) or try to get Bulldog to escalate it to BT for you
- might help.

Cheers

Dave P

--
David Precious
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

Old July 7th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:13:35 +0100, "Gerard McGovern"
wrote:

What's going on?!?!?!?

Gerard

You tell me!

Small world
--
Richard Sobey

Old July 8th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gerard McGovern

If Bulldog raise this as an issue/reject your order for this, just explain
to them that you have/had a 2MB service on this line and ask them to

submit
what is called a "manual order" to BT - this bypasses the ADSL Checker and
means BT will actually retest your line for you.. -- which you should

then
pass and the order will go ahead.

In theory, that's a good idea. However they are refusing to do a manual
order.

Aggggghhhhh!

Old July 9th 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message

If Bulldog raise this as an issue/reject your order for this, just
explain to them that you have/had a 2MB service on this line and ask
them to submit what is called a "manual order" to BT - this bypasses
the ADSL Checker and means BT will actually retest your line for
you.. -- which you should then pass and the order will go ahead.

In theory, that's a good idea. However they are refusing to do a
manual order.

Odd - they did it for me, just under a year ago.

If you have no luck (phoning up and talking to someone else) - email me and
I will suggest 1/2 names you can contact over there, who may be able to help
you.

Regards
Sunil