PIPEX Newsgroups - Any GOOD?

Old July 7th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

Default PIPEX Newsgroups - Any GOOD?

news.ntlworld.com wrote:
Be getting BB soon, Hurrah!!

Anyone have any opinions on which ISP's has the best newsgroup access.
Looking firstly at PIPEX as their deal suits me - 512d/l & no limit.
Any others considered of course.

Pipex groups were rubbish when I left them a month ago.

Old July 7th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:40:20 GMT, "Deag"
strung together this:

Pipex groups were rubbish when I left them a month ago.

They're fine here. You were probably on the binary server, which is
absolute donkey spunk. The text only ones are much quicker.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 7th 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:31:51 GMT, "news.ntlworld.com"
wrote:

Be getting BB soon, Hurrah!!

Anyone have any opinions on which ISP's has the best newsgroup access.
Looking firstly at PIPEX as their deal suits me - 512d/l & no limit.
Any others considered of course.

D.

You will get lots of complaints about Pipex newsgroups, but for some
odd reason, I find them just fine.

For text only stuff, use the text only server.

news-text.dsl.pipex.com

Moves very quickly here.

If you want to get at binaries, just be patient. People moan about
waiting a second or so between messages. But the stuff that I go for,
mp3 "bootlegs" and off-air recordings, are pretty big and the gap
between messages is much smaller than the download time. So just get
on with something else. You have to be pretty obsessive to be sitting
there watching a download meter for an mp3 file.

The files stay on the server for quite a while. So let it do its thing
overnight. Isn't that what broadband is for.

I have not tried movie downloads, which seems to be the cause of some
of these complaints.

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old July 8th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message
Be getting BB soon, Hurrah!!

Anyone have any opinions on which ISP's has the best newsgroup access.
Looking firstly at PIPEX as their deal suits me - 512d/l & no limit.
Any others considered of course.

D.

Can't comment on Pipex, but been with Zen for ages and there news server has
become very good of late, bit pricey at 28pm inc VAT for 512k but they say
retention is 7 days on most binaries stuff, don't know about 7 days but I
have grabbed stuff 5 days old with no problems, plus contract is very short
so if your not happy move.

Old July 8th 04, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JERRY

wrote:

news.ntlworld.com wrote:
Be getting BB soon, Hurrah!!

Anyone have any opinions on which ISP's has the best newsgroup access.
Looking firstly at PIPEX as their deal suits me - 512d/l & no limit.
Any others considered of course.

Pipex groups were rubbish when I left them a month ago.

still rubbish now i'm leaving this week

Please remove -REMOVE- to reply

JERRY
Old July 8th 04, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GD

I agree - the binary ones are rubbish - but I don't need them.. I use the
Pipex text newsgroups and there are great :-)

Old July 8th 04, 03:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Main

Yes their newsgroups are ****! They are so slow to appear on screen when
you click onn a thread. Can take anything from 1 minute to 3 mins!!! Pipex
are aware of this and have been for months now but no fix as yet.

Old July 8th 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news.ntlworld.com

"Jim" wrote in message

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message
Be getting BB soon, Hurrah!!

Anyone have any opinions on which ISP's has the best newsgroup access.
Looking firstly at PIPEX as their deal suits me - 512d/l & no limit.
Any others considered of course.

D.

Can't comment on Pipex, but been with Zen for ages and there news server

has
become very good of late, bit pricey at 28pm inc VAT for 512k but they

say
retention is 7 days on most binaries stuff, don't know about 7 days but I
have grabbed stuff 5 days old with no problems, plus contract is very

short
so if your not happy move.

Thanks - maybe I 'll NOT be looking at PIPEX then.

Old July 8th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:33:11 GMT, "news.ntlworld.com"
wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

"news.ntlworld.com" wrote in message
Be getting BB soon, Hurrah!!

Anyone have any opinions on which ISP's has the best newsgroup access.
Looking firstly at PIPEX as their deal suits me - 512d/l & no limit.
Any others considered of course.

D.

Can't comment on Pipex, but been with Zen for ages and there news server

has
become very good of late, bit pricey at 28pm inc VAT for 512k but they

say
retention is 7 days on most binaries stuff, don't know about 7 days but I
have grabbed stuff 5 days old with no problems, plus contract is very

short
so if your not happy move.

Thanks - maybe I 'll NOT be looking at PIPEX then.

I think Pipex have fairly good news servers. 6 different ip's that let
you access 4 threads each - I regularly max out my 1MB connection.
And a dedicated text server, its pretty good for no extra charge -
some isps dont even carry news servers.
If you want a pay-for service Astranews has good value plans.