Blueyonder mail server probs

Old July 7th 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default Blueyonder mail server probs

I was called in to try to sort a family members' machine tonight - they
have a primary and a single secondary email address set up.

Now I know that the servers are a sack of [email protected] at the moment, but what I
found strange was that the secondary account would check without any
problems, but the primary would time out waiting for a server response.

Add into this, I installed an old beta of mailwasher for them while I was
there (that`s how I found out the secondary account was fine), but for
some reason lookOut doesn`t appear to be checking the accounts at all -
as though it can`t resolve the IP of the mail server, and the send /
receive window flashes on and off screen again in about 0.2 seconds

lookOut had managed to access one of the accounts when it was first run,
but I did have a play around with some settings (trying to force a LAN
connection etc) when subsequent checks resulted in the behaviour above.

Does anyone know if secondary accounts are somehow "free" of the problems
the primary accounts are having at the moment ?

Old July 8th 04, 06:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:52:05 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Does anyone know if secondary accounts are somehow "free" of the problems
the primary accounts are having at the moment ?

Accounts are stored on different "clusters" [storage areas] and hence
when we're having issues they can be intermittent as to which accounts
they affect as the mailboxes are randomly dispersed across the storage
areas decided on based upon to a particular provisioning algorithm.

HTH

Alex

--

Alex Brown
Technical Manager, blueyonder Internet Team
Old July 8th 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Does anyone know if secondary accounts are somehow "free" of the problems
the primary accounts are having at the moment ?

Accounts are stored on different "clusters" [storage areas] and hence
when we're having issues they can be intermittent as to which accounts
they affect as the mailboxes are randomly dispersed across the storage
areas decided on based upon to a particular provisioning algorithm.

Cheers Alex, I suspected as much... just need to figure out what the hell
their lookOut`s doing now - because it sure as hell isn`t checking the
one account that _is_ available :-}