How can I test if ADSL has been enabled yet?

Old July 8th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Default How can I test if ADSL has been enabled yet?

Hi all,

I'm supposed to be getting my broadband enabled today. Between 8:00 and
10:30 they said... but I don't *think* its been done yet! So how can I
be sure?

I've got a Netgear DG834G (v1.0.05.00 firmware) which I think I've setup
correctly but it doesn't want to connect.

I've also tried plugging the phone in without any filters and the
dial-tone sounds the same as usual.

The only possible issue is that my router is plugged in to the end of an
extension lead rather than the prefered "right into the main socket"
location! I could move it to test.... but its a pain in the arse (cables
to unplug etc) so I've like to be sure the ADSL enabling has actually
happened first.

Cheers in advance!!

Peter.
Old July 8th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred

"Peter X" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm supposed to be getting my broadband enabled today. Between 8:00 and
10:30 they said... but I don't *think* its been done yet! So how can I
be sure?

I've got a Netgear DG834G (v1.0.05.00 firmware) which I think I've setup
correctly but it doesn't want to connect.

I've also tried plugging the phone in without any filters and the
dial-tone sounds the same as usual.

The only possible issue is that my router is plugged in to the end of an
extension lead rather than the prefered "right into the main socket"
location! I could move it to test.... but its a pain in the arse (cables
to unplug etc) so I've like to be sure the ADSL enabling has actually
happened first.

Cheers in advance!!

Peter.

Hi Peter,

It may well be that you aren't on yet. The extension lead should not be a
problem. The dial tone won't sound any different, not even a quiet line
will until your router is sync'd and there is data flying around.

Old July 8th 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Peter X wrote:

Hi all,

I'm supposed to be getting my broadband enabled today. Between 8:00 and
10:30 they said... but I don't *think* its been done yet! So how can I
be sure?

I've got a Netgear DG834G (v1.0.05.00 firmware) which I think I've setup
correctly but it doesn't want to connect.

I've also tried plugging the phone in without any filters and the
dial-tone sounds the same as usual.

The only possible issue is that my router is plugged in to the end of an
extension lead rather than the prefered "right into the main socket"
location! I could move it to test.... but its a pain in the arse (cables
to unplug etc) so I've like to be sure the ADSL enabling has actually
happened first.

Cheers in advance!!

Peter.

To part answer my own question, the line went dead at 13:00 and when I
next checked (about 5 minutes later) it was alive and my router now
connected!

Strangely, the dial-tone still sounds the same with or without a filter.

So its not quite so important now, but I'm still intereted to know how
to check if ADSL has been enabled.

Ta!

Peter.
Old July 8th 04, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:34:30 +0000 (UTC), Peter X
strung together this:

I'm supposed to be getting my broadband enabled today. Between 8:00 and
10:30 they said... but I don't *think* its been done yet! So how can I
be sure?

Who's "they"? BT may not enable the line until 18:00, your ISP may
have setup your account but until BT do their bit, you can't use it.
The only conclusive test is to plug the router in and wait for the
light to go green.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 8th 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Norman

wrote:

Hi all,

I'm supposed to be getting my broadband enabled today. Between 8:00 and
10:30 they said... but I don't *think* its been done yet! So how can I
be sure?

I've got a Netgear DG834G (v1.0.05.00 firmware) which I think I've setup
correctly but it doesn't want to connect.

I've also tried plugging the phone in without any filters and the
dial-tone sounds the same as usual.

The only possible issue is that my router is plugged in to the end of an
extension lead rather than the prefered "right into the main socket"
location! I could move it to test.... but its a pain in the arse (cables
to unplug etc) so I've like to be sure the ADSL enabling has actually
happened first.

Cheers in advance!!

Peter.

The only difference you will notice when your line is activated will
be that the ADSL led on your modem/router will change from flashing to
a steady constant light as the modem synchronises with the exchange.
My activation occurred at about 4.30pm on the due day so you will have
to be patient. You may have to wait until 6.30pm (BT staff home time)

Norman

Old July 11th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Lurch wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:07:45 +0000 (UTC), Peter X
strung together this:

So its not quite so important now, but I'm still intereted to know how
to check if ADSL has been enabled.

Er, think you've answered your own question there. (Keywords - router
& connected).

Yes thank you! :-)

At the time of the original post however, I had a "router non-connected"
type situation so I couldn't be sure if I had not configured it
correctly or if the problem was simply that the ADSL had been enabled.

Cheers for the reply though!!

--
Peter.
Old July 11th 04, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter X

Lurch wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:34:30 +0000 (UTC), Peter X
strung together this:

I'm supposed to be getting my broadband enabled today. Between 8:00 and
10:30 they said... but I don't *think* its been done yet! So how can I
be sure?

Who's "they"? BT may not enable the line until 18:00, your ISP may
have setup your account but until BT do their bit, you can't use it.
The only conclusive test is to plug the router in and wait for the
light to go green.

"they" was Metronet, who presumably were told the same from BT. To quote
my email from Metronet:

"This is to confirm that your ADSL application has been approved, and
the conversion of your line has been scheduled for 08 July 2004 between
8:00 and 10:30."

Anyway.... thanks all!! :-)

--
Peter.
Old July 11th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:33:11 +0000 (UTC), Peter X
strung together this:

At the time of the original post however, I had a "router non-connected"
type situation so I couldn't be sure if I had not configured it
correctly or if the problem was simply that the ADSL had been enabled.

Unfortunately the telecoms world is full of catch 22 situations!
(Unless you happen to have thousands of pounds worth of equipment
laying around that you could use)
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 12th 04, 04:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:56, in uk.telecom.broadband, Lurch wrote:

(Unless you happen to have thousands of pounds worth of equipment
laying around that you could use)

or a spare ADSL router (something like the one which cost 25 quid
from Ebuyer - but sadly no longer sold - would have been enough