Network Bridge

Old July 8th 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Network Bridge

I've got a small home network consisting of an ADSL router and WiFi Access
Point.

My Laptop runs XP Home and has a WiFi PC card, it also has a USB BlueTooth
adapter to connect to a mobile phone.

I am trying to do something with my bluetooth phone to connect it to my home
network (I appreciate it may not be possible) and assume I would have to
'bridge' my Bluetooth and WiFi connection.

As soon as I do this my laptop is unable to access the network saying that
the address cannot be found; if I disconnect the bridge the network works
again.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Geoff Lane

Old July 8th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Geoff Lane wrote:

I've got a small home network consisting of an ADSL router and WiFi Access
Point.

My Laptop runs XP Home and has a WiFi PC card, it also has a USB BlueTooth
adapter to connect to a mobile phone.

I am trying to do something with my bluetooth phone to connect it to my home
network (I appreciate it may not be possible) and assume I would have to
'bridge' my Bluetooth and WiFi connection.

As soon as I do this my laptop is unable to access the network saying that
the address cannot be found; if I disconnect the bridge the network works
again.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Geoff Lane

Disable ALL firewalls temporarily. Then try. It should work if the blue tooth can do this.
I have managed to network 3 PC’s with a ‘bridge connection’ on one of them.
Old July 8th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Geoff Lane wrote:
I've got a small home network consisting of an ADSL router and WiFi Access
Point.

My Laptop runs XP Home and has a WiFi PC card, it also has a USB BlueTooth
adapter to connect to a mobile phone.

I am trying to do something with my bluetooth phone to connect it to my home
network (I appreciate it may not be possible) and assume I would have to
'bridge' my Bluetooth and WiFi connection.

As soon as I do this my laptop is unable to access the network saying that
the address cannot be found; if I disconnect the bridge the network works
again.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Geoff Lane

I had a problem with Network bridges and my WiFi card, and spent hours
messing around, XP claimed to have bridged the connection, but no data
was being transferred, I eventually found this nugget of info that
sorted my problems. You might want to try it...

Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/default...348&#appliesto

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old July 9th 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"sean" -k wrote in message
Geoff Lane wrote:

I am trying to do something with my bluetooth phone to connect it to my

home
network (I appreciate it may not be possible) and assume I would have to
'bridge' my Bluetooth and WiFi connection.

As soon as I do this my laptop is unable to access the network saying

that
the address cannot be found; if I disconnect the bridge the network

works
again.

Disable ALL firewalls temporarily. Then try. It should work if the blue

tooth can do this.
I have managed to network 3 PC’s with a ‘bridge connection’ on one of

them.

I didn't think of that - I'll give it a try, thanks.

Meant to post this to uk.comp.home-networking :-))))

Geoff Lane

Old July 9th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"Black Shuck" wrote in message

I am trying to do something with my bluetooth phone to connect it to my

home
network (I appreciate it may not be possible) and assume I would have to
'bridge' my Bluetooth and WiFi connection.

As soon as I do this my laptop is unable to access the network saying

that
the address cannot be found; if I disconnect the bridge the network

works
again.

I had a problem with Network bridges and my WiFi card, and spent hours
messing around, XP claimed to have bridged the connection, but no data
was being transferred, I eventually found this nugget of info that
sorted my problems. You might want to try it...

Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter

http://support.microsoft.com/default...348&#appliesto

Ah, that is interesting - I'll give that a run.

Geoff Lane

Old July 9th 04, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Geoff Lane wrote:
I've got a small home network consisting of an ADSL router and WiFi

Access
Point..

I am trying to do something with my bluetooth phone to connect it to my

home
network (I appreciate it may not be possible) and assume I would have to
'bridge' my Bluetooth and WiFi connection.

I had a problem with Network bridges and my WiFi card, and spent hours
messing around,

Meant to ask - what happens with the IP addresses, does the 'bridge' get one
or do the bridged network devices keep their own?

Geoff Lane

Old July 14th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"Black Shuck" wrote in message

I am trying to do something with my bluetooth phone to connect it to my

home
network (I appreciate it may not be possible) and assume I would have to
'bridge' my Bluetooth and WiFi connection.

As soon as I do this my laptop is unable to access the network saying

that
the address cannot be found; if I disconnect the bridge the network

works

I had a problem with Network bridges and my WiFi card, and spent hours
messing around, XP claimed to have bridged the connection, but no data
was being transferred, I eventually found this nugget of info that
sorted my problems. You might want to try it...

Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter

http://support.microsoft.com/default...348&#appliesto

Tried it and still no luck but this may be underlying problems with my set
up as DUN is not working; my ICS and local network is but not DUN.

Geoff Lane