WTD - Help from Local Networking Guru Set Up SOHO ADSL wireless network In beds

Old July 8th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Aquazur-Dra

Default WTD - Help from Local Networking Guru Set Up SOHO ADSL wireless network In beds

Any one wiling to trvel to linslade Beds willing to visit / Help newbie
Decide how

Set up SOHO needs help / local technical advice on set suitable hardware

Looking to set up a wireless 108Mips 802.11g / 108Mips 802.11b compatible
ADSL broad band system to connect up

1) access ADSL broadband connection *into existing Sony digital TV / 5.1
surround system ( In lounge)via USB port on netgem I - player ]

* see http://forum.netgem.com/viewtopic.php?t=1408

2) Dell latiutude 610 laptop ( O.S WIN 2000 with pcmia card bus x 2 : USB
1.1 port x 1 female ethernet lead connection )

Use - anywhere in house /Garden - wirelessly via broadband connection +
surf internet etc via VPN network firewall+ share usb printer

3) hammerhed pentablet ( O.S WIN 2000 with 1 X USB 1.1 port )

Use - anywhere in house Connect to Work VPN network wirelessly via adsl
broadband connection
+surf internet etc via my Employers VPN network /external firewall

4) MAIN PC ( O.S WIN 98se ) In ist floor office fitted [ NB NO i slot spare
to fit internal PCI Ethernet connection]

a) Pci USB2card and

B) external 120 mb Hard disk NO Ethernet connection

C) epson USB printer

----
Telephone cabling

NB Main BT box has a cover plate fitted ( no terminal) telephone extension
cabling from incoming socket goes independantly to :-

a) socket serving Office on first floor - serving phone /current 56k Dun
connection on PC ( chip board floor immediately above TV)
b) socket in Kitchen - serving digital cordless phone and extension to
lounge.
----
NB Need to be able to

a) share /print /transfer files from /to each computer hard disks and also
external USb 2 120 mb Hardisk [back up drive ]fitted on pc

b) broadband internet to USB connection on netgem I - player scart lead to
existing AV 2 input to sony digital TV / 5.1 surround system

c) Laptop/ Pentablet to acess VPN network / surf internet via internal
VPNfirewall
----
ADVICE

a) Which ADSL modem/router should I buy and why ?

b) What other hardware /software /wiring cables etc do I need ?

c) Should Main PC /or Laptop be used to set up /maintain ADSL broadband
connection ?

d) Best to site Wireless ADSl router in lounge or office

--
compliments Dave Armes