A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

NTL 600k Broadband @ £19.99 up to £24.99



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 8th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default NTL 600k Broadband @ £19.99 up to £24.99

If you were an early adopter like me who shelled out £150 for their
Cable Modem in order to get the service for £19.99 PM, check your
bill. They have just upped it to £24.99 without any warning. In effect
you are paying £5 PM to rent your own equipment from them.

After calling them to ask about the price hike they refused to budge.
I shall be a BT customer as of a week on monday & getting F2S ADSL
shortly after that.

Way to go NTL.

CD.
  #2  
Old July 9th 04, 06:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default NTL 600k Broadband @ £19.99 up to £24.99

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 05:23:23 GMT, phoenix
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:39:28 +0100, CD wrote:

If you were an early adopter like me who shelled out £150 for their
Cable Modem in order to get the service for £19.99 PM, check your
bill. They have just upped it to £24.99 without any warning. In effect
you are paying £5 PM to rent your own equipment from them.


Not quite.You can ask them to give you a cable modem.


The original deal was pay £24.99/m and "rent" a modem, or pay £19.99/m
and buy the modem outright. They've now upped the price for all
customers who bought their modem.
--
Richard Sobey

  #3  
Old July 9th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default NTL 600k Broadband @ £19.99 up to £24.99

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:26:46 GMT, phoenix
wrote:

The original deal was pay £24.99/m and "rent" a modem, or pay £19.99/m
and buy the modem outright. They've now upped the price for all
customers who bought their modem.


Yes, I understand what was said. IIRC, NTL actually changed the terms in
early 2002 regarding the rental of modems and monthly fees (although I'm
not certain that they put the fees up at that time).


I see I'm not one for reading T&C small print - if I want the
service I've got to sign them anyway so can't see the sense in
wasting an hour
--
Richard Sobey

  #4  
Old July 9th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default NTL 600k Broadband @ £19.99 up to £24.99


"phoenix" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 06:49:17 +0100, Richard Sobey wrote:
As the o/p said he was an early adopter of NTL I guess he's had his ROI

for
purchasing the modem. If it were me I'd just get a modem from NTL and

carry
on with the service. He seems determined to go to ADSL so I hope he's

happy
with the service.


I was extremely miffed by the fact that I only found out about the hike when
I opened my bill. Some folks who may not scrutinise the bill closely may not
notice.

I've seen lot's of NTL bashing on various groups, but personally I have had
no problems with them (& Diamond Cable before) in almost 10 years.

I had been toying with the idea of going ADSL since my local exchange was
enabled not long ago.

As it turns out switching my phone to BT saves me a quid on line rental, I
keep my number & can choose from umpteen ADSL providers, many cheaper than
£19.99PM (subject to caps etc. I know). F2S looks favourite after looking at
adslguide.org.

My OP wasn't intended as an anti NTL rant, I just wanted to make folks
aware. I guess there aren't that many who bought the modems outright back
then though.

CD


  #5  
Old July 9th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 207
Default NTL 600k Broadband @ £19.99 up to £24.99

phoenix wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 06:49:17 +0100, Richard Sobey wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 05:23:23 GMT, phoenix
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:39:28 +0100, CD wrote:

If you were an early adopter like me who shelled out £150 for
their Cable Modem in order to get the service for £19.99 PM,
check your bill. They have just upped it to £24.99 without any
warning. In effect you are paying £5 PM to rent your own
equipment from them.

Not quite.You can ask them to give you a cable modem.


The original deal was pay £24.99/m and "rent" a modem, or pay
£19.99/m and buy the modem outright. They've now upped the price
for all customers who bought their modem.


Yes, I understand what was said. IIRC, NTL actually changed the
terms in early 2002 regarding the rental of modems and monthly fees
(although I'm not certain that they put the fees up at that time).

As they haven't allowed people to buy modems to connect to their
service for some time and if the fee has only just gone up then I
guess it's to bring the fees into line with the 'rental' users. I'm
sure some people will say it's just a cynical ploy to raise funds
for a cash-strapped company. ;-)

As the o/p said he was an early adopter of NTL I guess he's had his
ROI for purchasing the modem. If it were me I'd just get a modem
from NTL and carry on with the service. He seems determined to go
to ADSL so I hope he's happy with the service.


Only porblem with that is that you have to pay an extra £25 for the NTL
contractor to visit to deliver the modem.....


  #6  
Old July 10th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default NTL 600k Broadband @ £19.99 up to £24.99

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:43:09 GMT, phoenix
wrote:

As it turns out switching my phone to BT saves me a quid on line rental, I
keep my number & can choose from umpteen ADSL providers, many cheaper than
£19.99PM (subject to caps etc. I know). F2S looks favourite after looking at
adslguide.org.


Looks like I may be still be an NTL customer, for 12 months anyway.
Just had them call me begging to stay & I was offered half price phone
line & half price broadband, to be reviewed after a year. I told her
to call me back next week, I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face
if I turn that down.

CD
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swapping to NTL's 600K and back again five uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 February 28th 04 01:40 AM
A good router for ntl cable 600k ? Doz uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 December 4th 03 04:22 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.