Microfilters advice please

Old July 9th 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thepominlaw

Default Microfilters advice please

Hello,

I am very confused with regard to Microfilters and ASDL.

Currently I have a 56k connection to Plusnet, which regularly connects
at 31k so its time to join in with the ASDL. I used to have NTL cable
broadband but after a "disagreement" I had it taken out.

So here goes, I have the following sockets in the house.

1 - Where the phone line comes into the house (all come from this
point)
1 - Old unused Sky socket (nothing in it)
1 - for the Phone in the lounge (phone attached)
1 - in the bedroom (split - extension to PC and Phone)
1 Extension where modem connects.

So I take it I need 5 Microfilters (thought you could only have 4). I
was going to sign up with Pipex Solo 250.

Thanks

John
Old July 9th 04, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

thepominlaw wrote:
Hello,

I am very confused with regard to Microfilters and ASDL.

Currently I have a 56k connection to Plusnet, which regularly connects
at 31k so its time to join in with the ASDL. I used to have NTL cable
broadband but after a "disagreement" I had it taken out.

So here goes, I have the following sockets in the house.

1 - Where the phone line comes into the house (all come from this
point)
1 - Old unused Sky socket (nothing in it)
1 - for the Phone in the lounge (phone attached)
1 - in the bedroom (split - extension to PC and Phone)
1 Extension where modem connects.

So I take it I need 5 Microfilters (thought you could only have 4). I
was going to sign up with Pipex Solo 250.

Thanks

John

Pipex is a good choice!
Old July 9th 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Alec McKenzie wrote in
:

You need a filter where you have *analogue* equipment attached. ADSL
is digital - no filter required.

The microfilter includes the RJ11 socket for the ADSL modem lead as
supplied with the modem. I just didn't want to muddy the waters for
someone who may not be familliar with ADSL equipment. I am aware that the
RJ11 socket on a microfilter is just a pass-through socket with no
filtering.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old July 9th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

thepominlaw wrote:

Hello,

I am very confused with regard to Microfilters and ASDL.

Currently I have a 56k connection to Plusnet, which regularly connects
at 31k so its time to join in with the ASDL. I used to have NTL cable
broadband but after a "disagreement" I had it taken out.

So here goes, I have the following sockets in the house.

1 - Where the phone line comes into the house (all come from this
point)
1 - Old unused Sky socket (nothing in it)
1 - for the Phone in the lounge (phone attached)
1 - in the bedroom (split - extension to PC and Phone)
1 - Extension where modem connects.

So I take it I need 5 Microfilters (thought you could only have 4). I
was going to sign up with Pipex Solo 250.

Thanks

John

As others have said, you need to filter *all* analog devices - phones,
faxes, analog modems etc. You don't need a filter for your ADSL modem or
router - but the RJ11 unfilered outlet on a microfilter acts as a BT socket
to RJ11 adapter - and is thus a convenient point to plug in your ADSL
equipment.

Not sure what you mean by "thought you could only have 4". As far as I am
aware, there is no limit to the number of extension sockets you can have -
each of which may potentially require a microfilter. Maybe you are thinking
of the REN limit - where the REN values of all your analog equipment should
not exceed 4 - otherwise your phones may not ring correctly? If so, that is
not the same thing, and doesn't affect the number of sockets/filters.

Where are you going to connect your ADSL equipment? If you could contrive to
plug it into the master socket - or into a dedicated digital extension run
from from the master socket - you could use a filtered faceplate in the
master socket in place of the removeable faceplate suppled by BT and do away
with the need for *any* microfilters. This is by far the best solution if
your wiring setup makes this possible.

HTH.
--
Cheers,