Very Strange Internet Problems..

Old July 9th 04, 09:54 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
GD

Default Very Strange Internet Problems..

I'm on Broadband (Pipex) but I am having some serious problems with my
connection. After a period of time it seems every sites I go to either
doesn't load or only loads up a few images (shows lots of broken images).

I have tried large sites like the BBC & CNN, and it still happens so its
certainly something happening at my end as these are both extremely reliable
sites.

The strange thing is..... all my peer 2 peer programs run fine, and so does
msn
messenger - it is just browsing using any of the browsers I use (IE, Firefox
& MyIE2) & accessing my mail through Outlook Express.
OE returns the following error - "A TCP/IP error occured while trying to
connect to the server."

I use this internet connection shared using (internet connection sharing) my
PC is
the host, and my sisters uses another laptop as client. However, even though
experience problems with general browsing after a period of time, it works
absolutely fine on the laptop without any problems browsing etc..

This makes me feel it is definately a problem on my pc and not directly the
internet connection.
I feel like reinstalling windows again as this is really frustrating - I
have to log off my windows profile every 30mins - 60mins or so to continue
using the internet for browsing purposes.

PS I use Agnitum Outpost firewall.. but i've disabled it so its isnt that
causing the problem.

Any ideas whats happened - is there a virus around that does anything
similar to this... it just seems to block the ports used for browsing,
whereas p2p and msn are fine.

Old July 9th 04, 04:25 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Plato

GD wrote:

I'm on Broadband (Pipex) but I am having some serious problems with my
connection. After a period of time it seems every sites I go to either
doesn't load or only loads up a few images (shows lots of broken images).

It sounds like your internet cache folder is "filled up" eg perhaps you
are limited in hard drive space. Try deleting your temp internet files
and all subfolders within the internet cache folder. Cant hurt to try.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Old July 9th 04, 10:15 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I have tried large sites like the BBC & CNN, and it still happens so its
certainly something happening at my end as these are both extremely reliable
sites.
The strange thing is..... all my peer 2 peer programs run fine

Depending on which p2p apps you use, windows can have trouble when a
large amount of connections have been in use - i`ve seen problems with
certain bittorrent clients that don`t allow you to restrict the maximum
number of connections, where any app that needs to initialise a
connection can`t because of socket errors / tcp/ip buffer deadlocks etc.

You may find that if you stop the p2p client the page will load normally
- in some cases you may need to reboot, but normally closing down the app
that caused the problem will resolve matters for a while.

Windows seems to have a habit of not releasing all the connections
properly, so you may find the problem gets worse after the machine has
been on for an extended period of time (or you`ve had lots of p2p
activity)