DACS Line

Old July 9th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anth

Default DACS Line

Am I right in thinking that if you have a DACS line and you place an order
for ADSL then BT are "obliged" to remove the DACS?

And if the on line checker says that you pass the 2mb test but "the records
show that the line has been DACS'd" etc, when the line is unDACS'd should it
still pass the test?

Thanks

Anth

Old July 9th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

Am I right in thinking that if you have a DACS line and you place an order
for ADSL then BT are "obliged" to remove the DACS?

And if the on line checker says that you pass the 2mb test but "the

records
show that the line has been DACS'd" etc, when the line is unDACS'd should

it
still pass the test?

Thanks

Anth

I ran the Broadband test on the bt.com and it stated that 'Our records
indicate that a line-sharing device is connected to your line' and that
'Further investigations would be necessary as part of the ordering process
to confirm whether or not you could receive Broadband service at this
address'

I have no intention of signing up with BT for BB so sent a email asking if
the further investigation could take place prior to an order being placed, a
couple of days later I got the following reply:-
------------
Thank you for contacting BT,
If your line has a line sharing devise on it you can arrange to have that
removed by customer services by calling them on 150 between 8am - 8pm.

Regards
e-Contact advisor
------------
So I phone 150 and having been past from pillar to post, was finally told
that once you place an order with ANY BB provider, BT will be notified and
automatically remove a DACS if it appear on you line, therefore making it
possible to have BB to your address, there is no need to personally contact
BT!

(".)

Old July 9th 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gari P

"anth" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that if you have a DACS line and you place an order
for ADSL then BT are "obliged" to remove the DACS?

No, they are not obliged. They will certainly try and remove the DACS if
possible ... but if there is a real shortage of lines in your area then
they won't be able to.

And if the on line checker says that you pass the 2mb test but "the

records
show that the line has been DACS'd" etc, when the line is unDACS'd should

it
still pass the test?

Read the interesting replies I received in my thread "Accuracy of BB line
checker and
DACS". If the checker shows green for 2Mbit and you get the DACS removed
then
you have a very good chance that your line will pass.

---

Old July 9th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:17:22 +0100, anth wrote:

Am I right in thinking that if you have a DACS line and you place an
order
for ADSL then BT are "obliged" to remove the DACS?

And if the on line checker says that you pass the 2mb test but "the
records
show that the line has been DACS'd" etc, when the line is unDACS'd
should it
still pass the test?

Thanks

Anth

Hi Anth,

Normally BT will be able to remove the DACS from the line, however they do
have a cost limit for the installation of an ADSL line. If the removal of
the DACS takes the cost above that limit then they not do it. I've seen
cases in the past where they had to dig up roads, get planning permission,
bring in cherry pickers and even have a diver remove a DACS.
If the line check says you should get 2Mbps with the DACS then I would
expect the same afterwards, although this isn't a 100% guarantee that you
can get 2Mbps.

--
Regards,

Old July 9th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

sion,
bring in cherry pickers and even have a diver remove a DACS.
If the line check says you should get 2Mbps with the DACS then I would

Well come on... you cant leave something like that untold !, why a diver ?

Dave

Old July 12th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

I exactly had the same thing, spend two days and many hours in BT's call Q's
to be finally told "let your proposed ISP do the running around". Placed
order with Metronet and I was up and running in 5 days including DACS
removal.
I lost phone service for about 12 hours as BT "forgot" to do the "exchange
bit" when they removed the DACS.

I don't think you can force BT to remove a DACS if there is a shortage of
phone pairs in the area.