Telewest Broadband Wireless Routers

Old July 9th 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default Telewest Broadband Wireless Routers

I have a colleague who has Telewest Broadband

I gather he needs an ethernet wireless router (as opposed to an ADSL one) to
set up wirless network sharing the connection

I have looked at linksys etc but not sure which models would be suitable.
There seem to be a number that would work ? Just don't want to buy the wrong
kit and presume if there are different models then they do different things?

Can anyone suggest makes and model numbers that will work so he can make an
informed choice

cheers

Ian

Old July 9th 04, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"phoenix" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:06:03 +0100, Ian wrote:

I have a colleague who has Telewest Broadband

I gather he needs an ethernet wireless router (as opposed to an ADSL

one) to
set up wirless network sharing the connection

snip
Can anyone suggest makes and model numbers that will work so he can make

an
informed choice

snip

Any model from the major manufacturers such as Netgear, Linksys, D-Link,
Airport etc. will do. The model would depend on his budget and speed
requirements.

You can post in the Routers or Blueyonder forums at www.cm-forums.co.uk

for
some advice if you want.

Thanks

will have a look in there ...

do they need a specific WAN port and is this just one of the ethernet ports
on the back?

Ian

Old July 10th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Webber

In ,
Ian felt the need to put finger to keyboard and typed:

Thanks

will have a look in there ...

do they need a specific WAN port and is this just one of the ethernet
ports on the back?

I previously used a Netgear WGR614 on Blueyonder before I moved house and
switched to ADSL. I found it to be pretty reliable, although IIRC it does
not support WPA. The Router had 5 ports on the back - 1 dedicated to the
cable modem connection and 4 10/100mbps ethernet ports for fixed networking.
The antenna could not be removed, but provided a reasonably good wireless
signal, certainly good enough to use a laptop in the back garden with the
router upstairs at the front of the house. In terms of reliability I had no
problems and have now purchased the equivalent ADSL model after a brief and
disasterous flirtation with the equivalent D-Link model.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Stephen

You can post in the Routers or Blueyonder forums at www.cm-forums.co.uk

for
some advice if you want.

Thanks

will have a look in there ...

do they need a specific WAN port and is this just one of the ethernet

ports
on the back?

Ian

Hi Ian

SNIP the Ethernet connection for the router. The routers have a separate

port on
the rear for the cable modem connection and four wired ports on the front
for the LAN (configuration may vary slightly for the routers available).

If your colleague currently has his connection via USB it's fairly
straightforward to swap it over to ethernet when you get the

router..........
SNIP
That should do it.

Regards

Bill

Thanks that's very useful - excellent help

One thing is this port on the back and ports on the front.
How do I know which models are suitable?
Is there a list somewhere with all current models that we can choose from?
Just that I know my ADSL router which i could use as a router and switch and
wireless without using the ADSL bit isn't set up like this so presumably
wouldn't work?

cheers

Ian