Oold BT ADSL Box

Old July 10th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

Default Oold BT ADSL Box

I was one of the original adoptee of broadband and an engineer came around
and replaced my master BT socket on my spare line with a new one with two
sockets (BT and ADSL). I am now looking at moving to Bulldog 4mb and moving
the ADSL onto my main line to avoid a 1mth without ADSL in addition I no
longer need this line for anything else. But there is a slight snag in that
this line has my alarm on it and the alarm company want 100 to come and fit
an ADSL filter to it ( I cannot do it as it is inside the box with a tamper
alarm). As I understand it these original BT ADSL sockets replaced the
original BT Master socket and all other slave sockets remained OK (Ie you
didn't need to fit a filter).
My main question is if I was to replace the master socket on my Main line
with this socket would all the other slave sockets then be effectively
filtered thus getting around the problem of having a filter put on the alarm
or on any of the other kit hung of this line (there are an additional 5
slave sockets)?
I understand that I could only takeoff the ADSL from the new main socket but
luckily there is a Phone extension wire in place that runs from that socket
to where I have the modem - would this be man enough for the job? The modem
is Ethernet not USB (DLINK DSL-500)
Alternatively I have CAT 5 cabling between the two points so I could move
the modem to beside the master socket and plug it into the net there.
The alarm is not Redcare so I assume there should be no reason why it should
interfere.
thanks In advance
rgds
Stephen

Old July 10th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Stephen Haley wrote:

[...]

As you rightly say, if you have a filtered faceplate on your master socket -
with all the extension wiring connected to the back of that faceplate - the
extension sockets will be filtered automatically and you won't need
micro-filters in them. If your alarm is an analog device and is hard-wired
into your extension setup, then it will probably work.

Your ADSL modem *must* be connected to an unfiltered connection - usually
the ADSL outlet on the filtered faceplate - and won't work if you plug it
into a filtered extension socket.

In your situation, I think I would buy a modified filtered faceplate from
Clarity [ http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm ] and run a digital
extension from the back of faceplate (one pair of your CAT5 cable is fine -
as is ordinary phone cable) to where the ADSL modem needs to connect.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 10th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Stephen Haley" wrote in message

I am now looking at moving to
Bulldog 4mb and moving the ADSL onto my main line to avoid a 1mth
without ADSL in addition I no longer need this line for anything
else.

You say you don't need this line for anything else, so this probably won't
apply but if you are on a Bulldog LLU exchange - which you must be to get
thr Bulldog4 product - there is only about 30/60 minutes of downtime, while
BT/Bulldog reprovision your line and you change ISP's - its almost treated
like a "migration" in many ways.

It certainly isn't a longer period which is what you would face if you did a
"cease and reprovide" with another ISP..

My main question is if I was to replace the master socket on my Main
line with this socket would all the other slave sockets then be
effectively filtered thus getting around the problem of having a
filter put on the alarm or on any of the other kit hung of this line
(there are an additional 5 slave sockets)?

This should be the case, yes.

The alarm is not Redcare so I assume there should be no reason why it
should interfere.

It doesn't apply in your case but some RedCare installations are now "ADSL
friendly".

If you do decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code when
signing up - just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did
you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or by telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old July 11th 04, 01:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

I spoke with Bulldog and they said I have to do a cease and reprovide and
they were talking about 20 working days for this exchange. If anyone knows
any different direct from the horses mouth I would be interested but truth
be told I dont need the other line any more so I can save 30/qtr.
rgds
stephen

Old July 11th 04, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Stephen Haley wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that - Except for the fact I can backwire the clarity plate is
there any reason I shouldnt switch over the one on the other line that BT
provided. I Kept the original master socket so I can put that back in with a
filter on it pro tem.
rgds
Stephen

Old July 11th 04, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Stephen Haley" wrote in message

I spoke with Bulldog and they said I have to do a cease and reprovide
and they were talking about 20 working days for this exchange. If
anyone knows any different direct from the horses mouth I would be
interested but truth be told I dont need the other line any more so I
can save 30/qtr.

From a Bulldog employee -
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=1301760

This is only on LLU exchanges though - i.e. where the Bulldog 4MB products
are available.

On other exchanges, the person you spoke to on the telephone would be
correct - as BT Wholesale would take longer.

I think Bulldog like to quote the longer time and then "suprise" customers
on LLU exchanges rather than "over promising" at the start.

However, as you say - if you dumped your 2nd line instead you would save the
line rental...

Regards
Sunil

Old July 11th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Stephen Haley wrote:

Thanks for that - Except for the fact I can backwire the clarity
plate is there any reason I shouldnt switch over the one on the other
line that BT provided. I Kept the original master socket so I can put
that back in with a filter on it pro tem.
rgds
Stephen

No, that's fine if that's what you want to do. I suggested the other
solution because I thought it was neater and that you might want ADSL on
both lines for an overlap period. As you say, you can achieve the latter by
reverting to a standard faceplate and using a microfilter in the short term.

[I don't know whether BT will want their ADSL faceplate back when you cease
the line on which they installed it?!]

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 11th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message

[I don't know whether BT will want their ADSL faceplate back when you
cease the line on which they installed it?!]

No, they won't worry themselves with the faceplate.. if they do(very rare),
just tell them you are getting ADSL again..

However, BT may ask for the original ADSL modem back - which legally belongs
to them.. either my coming around to pick it up or sending you a
pre-adressed bag for you to mail it back to them

Regards
Sunil

Old July 15th 04, 04:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

Thanks for all your help. I pulled the faceplate this morning and the alarm
is definately wired onto the faceplate so all I need to do is switch
faceplates and put a filter on the old line pro-tem thus saving the 100 ADT
wanted.
rhds
Stephen

Old July 15th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

You say you don't need this line for anything else, so this probably won't
apply but if you are on a Bulldog LLU exchange - which you must be to get
thr Bulldog4 product - there is only about 30/60 minutes of downtime,

while
BT/Bulldog reprovision your line and you change ISP's - its almost treated
like a "migration" in many ways.

It certainly isn't a longer period which is what you would face if you did

"cease and reprovide" with another ISP..

try 20 working days downtime which is what I have been quoted by two
different people at bulldog.