BT Broadband and SMTP

Old July 10th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Deinhardt

Default BT Broadband and SMTP

I'm aware that BT Broadband "Classic" (the 25 quid/month one) does not
provide an SMTP facility. What I want to know is whether my own SMTP
server (PostCast) will work OK using this service. I wouldn't
normally choose BT but it suits circumstances, given that is saves me
the best part of 100 to switch over from Home Highway.

Cheers
Neil
Old July 10th 04, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Neil Deinhardt" wrote in message
I'm aware that BT Broadband "Classic" (the 25 quid/month one) does not
provide an SMTP facility. What I want to know is whether my own SMTP
server (PostCast) will work OK using this service. I wouldn't
normally choose BT but it suits circumstances, given that is saves me
the best part of 100 to switch over from Home Highway.

It should be fine..

Regards
Sunil

Old July 11th 04, 01:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Neil Deinhardt wrote:
I'm aware that BT Broadband "Classic" (the 25 quid/month one) does not
provide an SMTP facility. What I want to know is whether my own SMTP
server (PostCast) will work OK using this service. I wouldn't
normally choose BT but it suits circumstances, given that is saves me
the best part of ?100 to switch over from Home Highway.

I belive that BT BB does dynamic IPs.
If this is correct, then there is a risk when your IP changes (dodgy line,
power cut, ...) that when your mail is presented to the machine that
gets it next, it will do something undesirable.
(responding with a permenant error code, or presenting your mail to the
user of that machine..)
Old July 11th 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Neil Deinhardt" wrote in message
m...
I'm aware that BT Broadband "Classic" (the 25 quid/month one) does not
provide an SMTP facility. What I want to know is whether my own SMTP
server (PostCast) will work OK using this service. I wouldn't
normally choose BT but it suits circumstances, given that is saves me
the best part of 100 to switch over from Home Highway.

Cheers
Neil

I run my own mail server on BT Broadband, without any issues at all.

The Dynamic IP could cause problems if your not using a router that can
automatically update DNS when you log into the net. I use NoIP.com to host
my DNS and Mx records. That way no matter what my actual IP address is the
domain name is fixed. (The best bit is its totally free).

Old July 11th 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Deinhardt

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
Neil Deinhardt wrote:
I'm aware that BT Broadband "Classic" (the 25 quid/month one) does not
provide an SMTP facility. What I want to know is whether my own SMTP
server (PostCast) will work OK using this service. I wouldn't
normally choose BT but it suits circumstances, given that is saves me
the best part of ?100 to switch over from Home Highway.

I belive that BT BB does dynamic IPs.
If this is correct, then there is a risk when your IP changes (dodgy line,
power cut, ...) that when your mail is presented to the machine that
gets it next, it will do something undesirable.
(responding with a permenant error code, or presenting your mail to the
user of that machine..)

This is where my knowledge is a bit thin...I thought that having a
dynamic IP didn't matter if you host your own SMTP server, unless you
want to act as an SMTP relay. I'm just sending mail from my own LAN,
so all I seem to need to specify is the DNS used by the service
provider and my local IP 127.0.0.1. This seems to be reinforced by
the fact that I can run PostCast OK via my normal dialup access (which
itself uses a dynamic IP allocation). I can see that you'd need a
static IP to successfully run a POP3 server, but is it really the case
for SMTP?

Cheers
Neil
Old July 11th 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Neil Deinhardt wrote:
I'm aware that BT Broadband "Classic" (the 25 quid/month one) does not
provide an SMTP facility. What I want to know is whether my own SMTP
server (PostCast) will work OK using this service. I wouldn't
normally choose BT but it suits circumstances, given that is saves me
the best part of ?100 to switch over from Home Highway.

I belive that BT BB does dynamic IPs.
If this is correct, then there is a risk when your IP changes (dodgy line,
power cut, ...) that when your mail is presented to the machine that
gets it next, it will do something undesirable.
(responding with a permenant error code, or presenting your mail to the
user of that machine..)

This is where my knowledge is a bit thin...I thought that having a
dynamic IP didn't matter if you host your own SMTP server, unless you
want to act as an SMTP relay. I'm just sending mail from my own LAN,

If sending mail, there is no problem.

so all I seem to need to specify is the DNS used by the service
provider and my local IP 127.0.0.1. This seems to be reinforced by
the fact that I can run PostCast OK via my normal dialup access (which
itself uses a dynamic IP allocation). I can see that you'd need a
static IP to successfully run a POP3 server, but is it really the case
for SMTP?

For reception, yes.
For sending, no, not really.

Old July 11th 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

Neil Deinhardt wrote:
[...]

To send mail you don't really need a static IP or static DNS name.
To receive however is a different story, the other mail servers need to know
where to send it, hence you need a DNS and Mx record which has to be fixed.
If the IP address isn't fixed you need a way of updating DNS. This is where
DynDNS.com and NoIP.com come into play.

Old July 11th 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:34:35 UTC, "Paul Landregan"
wrote:

To send mail you don't really need a static IP or static DNS name.
To receive however is a different story, the other mail servers need to know
where to send it, hence you need a DNS and Mx record which has to be fixed.
If the IP address isn't fixed you need a way of updating DNS. This is where
DynDNS.com and NoIP.com come into play.

So you get a new IP, and then someone sends you mail before the DNS is
updated......?

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old July 11th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"Neil Deinhardt" wrote...
I'm aware that BT Broadband "Classic" (the 25 quid/month
one) does not provide an SMTP facility.

The normal btinternet SMTP server works fine on BT Broadband
connections, as does the news server. They are just not officially
supported.

Or you could use a server which accepts mail from any connection using
SMTP authorisation. I know smtp.orange.net works from BT Broadband, sign
up for a free Orange Net email account to get a userid & password for
it.

Old July 11th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On 11 Jul 2004 14:13:18 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

So you get a new IP, and then someone sends you mail before the DNS is
updated......?

You hope there is no server listening on port 25 on the new IP and the
mail is routed via the backup MX Besides, with the amount of spam I
get, I wouldn't mind a few 5xx responses to the senders.
--
Richard Sobey