Cable to ADSL

Old July 11th 04, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

Default Cable to ADSL

My current broadband connection is via cable. I have three PC' networked via
a Netgear RP114.

I am considering changing to ADSL for two reasons;

1. The calbe company I am with is having (for a while now) terrible problems
with it's email platform, some problems (getting worse) with it's news
servers. It is also very 'deep' in debt. Should they go under for technical
or financial reasons I plus the rest of their customers would be stuck.

2. I feel that if I move to ADSL, I have a much wider choice of suppliers
(as they all use my BT line) and a broader range of packages. A lot of ADSL
packages are also cheaper than my current cable telco too.

Should I of shouldn't I make the move to ADSL?

Clive

Old July 11th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Clive wrote:

My current broadband connection is via cable. I have three PC'
networked via a Netgear RP114.

I am considering changing to ADSL for two reasons;

1. The calbe company I am with is having (for a while now) terrible
problems with it's email platform, some problems (getting worse) with
it's news servers. It is also very 'deep' in debt. Should they go
under for technical or financial reasons I plus the rest of their
customers would be stuck.

2. I feel that if I move to ADSL, I have a much wider choice of
suppliers (as they all use my BT line) and a broader range of
packages. A lot of ADSL packages are also cheaper than my current
cable telco too.

Should I of shouldn't I make the move to ADSL?

Clive

It's a matter of personal preference and economics. You don't *have* to use
your ISP's news servers - there are perfectly good third party servers
available (such as news.individual.net from which I am sending this) - and
likewise with email facilities. Does it really matter that your ISP is in
debt - unless you are a shareholder?!

If you can get the facilites you need considerably cheaper by going to ADSL,
then do it. There will, of course, be some setup costs which will offset any
savings in monthly subscriptions for a while. Most ISPs pass on BT's
activation fee, and you'll need an ADSL modem. [If you buy a modem with an
ethernet output rather than (or maybe in addition to) USB, it will probably
work with your existing router].

I am on ADSL (with PlusNet) and it works well. I can't compare it with cable
because there's little prospect of my village ever being 'cabled'.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 11th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keef

"Clive" wrote in message
. uk...
Should I of shouldn't I make the move to ADSL?

I've just moved from NTL to Pipex.

Things to bear in mind :-

Setup costs :-

Activation fee (around 60) - some ISP's wave.
Modem or router - free with some ISPs.
New BT line (99), unless you already have one.

Downtime (unless you run two services side by side for a while).

In my experience Cable was more "stable" than ADSL, but unfortunately NTL
administration is appaling :-(

Regards - Keef
--
Dartford Kent UK
Email

Old July 11th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"phoenix" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:15:02 GMT, Clive wrote:

My current broadband connection is via cable. I have three PC' networked

via
a Netgear RP114.

I am considering changing to ADSL for two reasons;

1. The calbe company I am with is having (for a while now) terrible

problems
with it's email platform, some problems (getting worse) with it's news
servers. It is also very 'deep' in debt. Should they go under for

technical
or financial reasons I plus the rest of their customers would be stuck.

Telewest won't be going bust aytime yet. ;-) You seem to be a little

behind
the times, the news servers have been replaced and are working well at the
moment but there are continuing intermittent problems with the email
platform. It's a matter of personal choice whether you use their solutions
or not. If email is such a problem for you then install your own mail
server, similarly you could also use many of the free news servers around
or install your own news server to collect your usenet needs. I have no
problems with my Blueyonder connection using my own servers.

2. I feel that if I move to ADSL, I have a much wider choice of

suppliers
(as they all use my BT line) and a broader range of packages. A lot of

ADSL
packages are also cheaper than my current cable telco too.

Should I of shouldn't I make the move to ADSL?

If cost is your only criteria and you think you'll get it cheaper then
move, I would suggest you have a look at www.adslguide.org.uk if you want
to see how ADSL providers fare in their customers opinions.

Regards

Bill

The bottom line is I have no confidence in Telewest/Blueyonder anymore (it
would seem many shareholders don't either!). In the past year They have had
so many problems with various things , email, news, etc, etc.

I've got independant POP3 boxes, but the general quality of their service,
be it browsing or news is getting worse.

Other plus side of moving to ADSL - I already have a Ethernet ADSL modem, so
a wires only connection looks good and several ISP's are not even charging a
connection/activation fee

Clive

Old July 11th 04, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Clive wrote:

The bottom line is I have no confidence in Telewest/Blueyonder
anymore (it would seem many shareholders don't either!). In the past
year They have had so many problems with various things , email,
news, etc, etc.

I've got independant POP3 boxes, but the general quality of their
service, be it browsing or news is getting worse.

Other plus side of moving to ADSL - I already have a Ethernet ADSL
modem, so a wires only connection looks good and several ISP's are
not even charging a connection/activation fee

Clive

Sounds like you've already made up your mind then! Why bother to ask the
question?

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 11th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Clive wrote:

The bottom line is I have no confidence in Telewest/Blueyonder
anymore (it would seem many shareholders don't either!). In the past
year They have had so many problems with various things , email,
news, etc, etc.

I've got independant POP3 boxes, but the general quality of their
service, be it browsing or news is getting worse.

Other plus side of moving to ADSL - I already have a Ethernet ADSL
modem, so a wires only connection looks good and several ISP's are
not even charging a connection/activation fee

Clive

Sounds like you've already made up your mind then! Why bother to ask the
question?

--
Cheers,
Tim
______

I was basically questioning the service/quility of BT (as it is their
backbone). Grant made a good point about his ISP offering good service but
being let down by BT's infrastructure.

I understand about the 'Grass being greener....', because before broadband I
tried several different ISP's (dialup) and they all had their faults.

If I stick with Cable (BY) I don't have a choice. Moving to ADSL I can
switch a lot easier between ISP's (especially with my own domains/POP
boxes).

Clive

Old July 11th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Keef" wrote in message

New BT line (99), unless you already have one.

74.99 now for residential lines

Regards
Sunil

Old July 11th 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Keef wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message
. uk...

Should I of shouldn't I make the move to ADSL?

I've just moved from NTL to Pipex.

Things to bear in mind :-

Setup costs :-

Activation fee (around 60) - some ISP's wave.
Modem or router - free with some ISPs.
New BT line (99), unless you already have one.

Downtime (unless you run two services side by side for a while).

In my experience Cable was more "stable" than ADSL, but unfortunately NTL
administration is appaling :-(

Regards - Keef

Pipex have no set up fee's. Check them out
Old July 11th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keef

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Keef" wrote in message

New BT line (99), unless you already have one.

74.99 now for residential lines

Still overpriced, when NTL fit one for nought :-)

Then they want over 10 per month rental, even if you don't use the voice
line. :-(

Oh, and don't bother trying to sort out any problems with BT, they just
aren't interested!

Regards - Keef

Old July 11th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keef

From: "sean" -k
Pipex have no set up fee's. Check them out

They do, just wave it if you are with them for 12 months; at least that's
how I read it?

Regards - Keef