Connection Distance, what do I do now?

Old July 11th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

Default Connection Distance, what do I do now?

In message , Peter Sutcliffe
writes
I was hoping to connect to ADSL broadband but have found there are real
problems in sorting out the details.
I live within 1 mile of the centre of Ipswich and the telephone exchange as
far as I can tell.
The 17070 test does not give me a distance.
The various web sites say that my number is not OK even though other wires
from the same pole are said to be OK.
Who can I contact to find out what is going on? I've tried ISP and all they
do is the same check and tell me they can't provide the service..

Http://www.samknows.com/broadband/vi...hp?ecode=EAIPS

use vispa or aa?

--
Nigel J Carron

Old July 11th 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

I live 3In message , Peter
Sutcliffe writes
I was hoping to connect to ADSL broadband but have found there are real
problems in sorting out the details.
I live within 1 mile of the centre of Ipswich and the telephone exchange as
far as I can tell.
The 17070 test does not give me a distance.
The various web sites say that my number is not OK even though other wires
from the same pole are said to be OK.
Who can I contact to find out what is going on? I've tried ISP and all they
do is the same check and tell me they can't provide the service..

I live 3.5 miles from the centre of Maidenhead and can se the exchange
as I type this. However I have been informed that it is not the distance
that is the problem but the QUALITY OF THE LINE .
It seems that you cant win even though we are told that well over 90%
of people are in range of an exchange .
--
Ronald Jones
Old July 11th 04, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:55:32 +0100, Ronald Jones uttered forth the
following...

I live 3.5 miles from the centre of Maidenhead and can se the exchange
as I type this. However I have been informed that it is not the distance
that is the problem but the QUALITY OF THE LINE .
It seems that you cant win even though we are told that well over 90%
of people are in range of an exchange .

You could both try requesting a new drop cable, ie the cable that runs
from the pole to your house. I had mine replaced a few years back due to
line degradation. The BT engineer said the cable was more then 20 years
old and he hadn't seen one like it in over 10 years.
Old July 11th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Sutcliffe

That doesn't sound promising!!!
It seems a strange sort of product that you can't get fixed if it isn't up
to the required quality especially as the supplier of the lines is a
monopoly. There must be a way to get this problem fixed but I'm damned if I
can think waht it is.

Old July 11th 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

In message , Peter Sutcliffe
writes
[...]

Go to www.adslguide.org.uk goto forums and look for isp feedback
forums. Vispa and AA are two smaller ISPs that will place a manual order
for you - they have had a lot of success getting orders turned into ADSL
for people who should qualify but don't. Worst case scenario is you at
least should end up knowing your reason for no adsl.

--
Nigel J Carron

Old July 11th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

http://www.vispa.net/

http://aaisp.net/

--
Alec McKenzie

Old July 11th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

In message , Sean
writes
On the Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:55:32 +0100, Ronald Jones uttered forth the
following...

I live 3.5 miles from the centre of Maidenhead and can se the exchange
as I type this. However I have been informed that it is not the distance
that is the problem but the QUALITY OF THE LINE .
It seems that you cant win even though we are told that well over 90%
of people are in range of an exchange .

You could both try requesting a new drop cable, ie the cable that runs
from the pole to your house. I had mine replaced a few years back due to
line degradation. The BT engineer said the cable was more then 20 years
old and he hadn't seen one like it in over 10 years.

This is a new and interesting piece of information which I will follow
up
I have lived here for nearly fifty years when the house was built and
the line installed. It has indoors the original cotton braiding to the
junction box which gives an indication as to is age
How did you approach BT about "drop line"
Thanks for the info.
--
Ronald Jones
Old July 12th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:09:48 +0100, Ronald Jones uttered forth the
following...
This is a new and interesting piece of information which I will follow
up
I have lived here for nearly fifty years when the house was built and
the line installed. It has indoors the original cotton braiding to the
junction box which gives an indication as to is age
How did you approach BT about "drop line"
Thanks for the info.

I rang up and complained that my lnie was noisy and my dial-up
connection at the time had dropped from over 40kbps down to under
28kbps. When I got home a BT engineer was replacing my cable. All on the
same day!