Extension wiring.

Old July 11th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Default Extension wiring.

Lovely problem here, don't know if anyone can help..

Essentially I need to know what the pin wiring must be for both ends of
an RJ11 cable to be used to connect to the data port of a filter.

Complicated explanation follows:

I have an extension running from the data port which is causing line
loss. I've rewired and reduced the line loss.
An engineer has physically tested the extension and there is no loss on
any of the cables.

The problem appears to lie in the wiring yet to my knowledge it is wired
correctly.

Setup as goes:

Filter (Data port) -
RJ11 plug to BT socket convertor -
Extension cable with BT plug on one end terminated by a BT socket -
Cable with BT plug and RJ11 plug -
Modem port on router.

The reason for going to BT style then back is because nowhere round here
seems to sell long cables with an RJ11 plug on the end and there are no
modular RJ11 sockets that I can find for the wall mount.

When there is no loss, a simple RJ11 - RJ11 cable from the data port to
the modem works fine. Only the two centre pins are connected in a
crossover fashion.

I wired the extension exactly the same, ensuring that each end of the
extension matched regardless of all the stuff in between.
Result? No data connection.
If I connect up the two unused wires then I get a connection, but with
high loss:

Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 42.5 dB
Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 27.5 dB

At the moment I have it wired up so the ends of the RJ11 cable are
effectively two crossovers. Pin 5 in the plug of one end goes to pin 2 in
the plug of the other end, 4 to 3, 3 to 4 and 2 to 5

So the question is, if every single piece of hardware and wire has been
tested okay on its own - what am I missing?

--
Colin
Old July 11th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

cw wrote:

[...]

As far as I know, ADSL is not polarity concious - so there's no need for any
cross-overs. The unfiltered incoming signal is on pins 2 and 5 of the BT
socket. This needs to go into your ADSL modem on the centre 2 pins - but
micro-filters or BT to RJ11 adapters should take care of that.

What sort of telephone extension cable are you using? If it is a flexible
extension with a plug one end and a moulded-on socket at the other end, it
probably doesn't use twisted pair cables and could be the source of a lot of
line noise.

Why have the filter *before* the extension? I would use a proper extension
kit (with twisted pair cable and wirable socket at the remote end) and plug
the microfilter and modem cable in to the remote socket close to the
computer. This will hopefully resolve your problems.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 12th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in
:

As far as I know, ADSL is not polarity concious - so there's no need
for any cross-overs.

All of the RJ11-RJ11 cables that I have which are intended for ADSL use
have a crossover in them so I did the same, if it isn't polarity
conscious though that would explain why it still works with it wired up
different ways although doesn't explain the loss.

What sort of telephone extension cable are you using? If it is a
flexible extension with a plug one end and a moulded-on socket at the
other end, it probably doesn't use twisted pair cables and could be
the source of a lot of line noise.

It was one of those cables however I cut the moulded socket off and wired
it into a wall mount socket. I can therefore alter the wiring into this
socket to however I want and have done so.

Why have the filter *before* the extension? I would use a proper
extension kit (with twisted pair cable and wirable socket at the
remote end) and plug the microfilter and modem cable in to the remote
socket close to the computer. This will hopefully resolve your
problems.

Because I have a master faceplate filter and a couple of voice extensions
running off the back of that. If I were to move the filter from that
location I would need one filter at the end of each extension rather than
just one at the master.
There is nothing wrong with the filter or the extensions as the line loss
measures fine with all the extensions connected and the router wired in
to the filter without using the extension.
I'd leave the router down there but it is a narrow hallway and there
simply is nowhere to put it, plus for the wireless it is better to have
it higher up.

--
Colin