newb asks - BT or plus net?

Old July 12th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default newb asks - BT or plus net?

hi all about to sign up to broadband at home

read lots of good things about plus net, but also see bt have best
price at the moment

plus net 21.99 per month but also have to pay activation fee and
modem (approx 70 extra)

bt 24.99 but no activation or modem fee

BT looks like the clear winner (ok it has 15gb download limit, but as
i understand that's a fairly decent amount)

anyone has an opinion either way... speak now!

thanks
Old July 12th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

BT looks like the clear winner (ok it has 15gb download limit, but as
i understand that's a fairly decent amount)
anyone has an opinion either way... speak now!

Plusnet / Pipex / Nildram / Zen

Anything but BT or AOL !

Personally i`m on Pipex, and there`s a package that might do you (which
i`m on the equivalent of) - Solo 500, free setup, free modem, no download
limit or p2p blocks 23.44 a month

Old July 12th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I'm on pipex 1mb but thinking of migrating because it's starting to look
slightly over-priced.

Dan

t...

Old July 12th 04, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

anyone has an opinion either way... speak now!

thanks

www.adslguide.org.uk..... pronto !!

Dave

Old July 12th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

[email protected] wrote:
hi all about to sign up to broadband at home

read lots of good things about plus net, but also see bt have best
price at the moment

plus net 21.99 per month but also have to pay activation fee and
modem (approx 70 extra)

bt 24.99 but no activation or modem fee

BT looks like the clear winner (ok it has 15gb download limit, but as
i understand that's a fairly decent amount)

anyone has an opinion either way... speak now!

thanks

Plusnet without a doubt...

you could of course, use my referal code: mgillespie
But this has nothing todo with my recomendation (honestly). Plusnet
simply do have the best customer service going, and there are many other
great things: 250Mb all-frills webspace, a decent newsserver (took a
while to get there thou..), static IP etc etc...

I say take the 70 hit, and then make it up on the monthly savings, also
he Modem all ISP's give out, is pretty rubbush, you are better buying a
router..

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old July 12th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Bob Eager" wrote:

So, after 2 years with PlusNet you'll be ahead anyway. And with PlusNet
you get customer service.

worth noting the setup fee is only 70 quid for one month contract terms,
but lower if an annual contract is acceptable... as a PlusNet customer,
it is also possible to get reductions when recommending the service, if
the new customer has a suitable account (commission ranges up to ~ 250p
for some business accounts) so with enough new customers one may pay no
fee at all... I guess the poster isn't likely to be swayed because of
the up-front costs, but the service is pretty good, IMHO :-) Peter

--
PlusNet - good value for money - http://tinyurl.com/24ymz
Fixed IP as standard, generous webspace, IMAP support,
Old July 12th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Kris wrote:

[email protected] writes:

bt 24.99 but no activation or modem fee
anyone has an opinion either way... speak now!

Where did the 24.99 price come from ? Just saw BT Yahoo page and it
suggests 26.99 for the 500 kbps service. Unless the OP means the BT
Broadband service (which has had some positive comments, perhaps as
a result of there being no news/mail/webspace included with it :-)

Clara is superb for usenet and email, ... they have a 10 a year
text-news and email account. I am quite protective of my Clara
email account; they have superrrrrrrrrb server-side filters

Yes, I'd vouch for them on mail filters and the mail + news a/c
Old July 12th 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:47:32 UTC, poster wrote:

worth noting the setup fee is only 70 quid for one month contract terms,
but lower if an annual contract is acceptable... as a PlusNet customer,
it is also possible to get reductions when recommending the service, if
the new customer has a suitable account (commission ranges up to ~ 250p
for some business accounts) so with enough new customers one may pay no
fee at all... I guess the poster isn't likely to be swayed because of
the up-front costs, but the service is pretty good, IMHO :-) Peter

Yes...I'm not persoanlly with PlusNet (as many here will know) as I
prefer the 'techie' approach of AAISP. However, if anyone asks me to set
them up on broadband I use PlusNet...!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old July 12th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Bob Eager" wrote:

if anyone asks me to set them up on broadband I use PlusNet...!

That's certainly another vote of confidence (even if I wasn't
using the service, as I still am, well over a year from first
getting it... and yes, I can think of 6 people who are on PN
(several on Home Surf, so no commission involved, just suited
their needs for an economic account) and none unhappy :-) PGM