Static Ip's and BT - I have just recieved A BT router with 5 static IP Addresses. However, I want 5 computers in the office to use only one of the addresses. ery Difficult Question

Old July 12th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nattasian

Default Static Ip's and BT - I have just recieved A BT router with 5 static IP Addresses. However, I want 5 computers in the office to use only one of the addresses. ery Difficult Question

I have just recieved A BT router with 5 static IP Addresses. However,
I want 5 computers in the office to use only one of the addresses.

The BT standard router is not configurable SO - I need to link the BT
router to my own router (generic - no brand-name router) and get my
router to use one of the BT addresses, then share this address over
NAT.

How do I configure my router - I can set up these connections on my
router

Protocol:
RFC 1483 (MPoA) bridged mode
RFC 1483 (MPoA) routed mode
RFC 1577 (IPoA) routed mode
RFC 2364 (PPPoA) routed mode
RFC 2516 (PPPoE) routed mode

I want to set up one interface to take the IP address from the BT
router, and another interface to share this Ip address through NAT.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old July 12th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

Nattasian wrote:

[...]

http://5861.uk-bug.net

You can always configure it with the console cable Running 2 routers
is asking for trouble!
Old July 13th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Nattasian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have the same router, is it a black box? with some flashing green lights
on it, if so its a siemans router I think, you have obviously gone for the
NON NAT router rather than the NAT configuration they do on there managed
services.

You have 5 IP address's so you have a few choices, firstly plug the router
into a firewall, it needs to go into a firewall as your connection is always
open with the non nat service, I sugest you buy a NETGEAR firewall or
somthign similar, around 150 quid will do.

You could plug the router into a pc and then use another network card to do
the NAT into a hub then out to the other PC's.

You can also use another router, you wont be using pppoe or A as thats the
protocols for the dial up for adsl, you just give the router one of your
fixed IP's and plug it into the BT router, then set the router to DHCP and
plug it into your HUB or switch and share the connections.

I would have another switch in before the 2nd router so you can use one of
the IP's for somthing else if you need too, webserver,ftp,email etc
otherwise your wasting the 4 other IP's and you could have gone for a NAT
managed router from BT

Hope this helps

Ronny

Old July 13th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Ronny" wrote in message

"Nattasian" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Actually I think its made by Fujitsu, you know what i mean though