Call to 09xx number

Old July 13th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Default Call to 09xx number

I am sorry if I am posting this on the wrong forum. I have an dial up
internet connection with BT. I am on an anytime package which I dial a
freephone number when i want to use the internet.

Having received my BT bill it seems the calls I made to connect to the
internet have somehow been redirected to a 09xx number. The result is I have
ended up with a large phobe bill.

Am I oblidged to pay this bill. Or the fact that I have actually dialled a
freephone number mean it is BT's liabilty. And advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Old July 13th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Davies

The rogue software which will have got to your pc usually discconects the
freephone connection then redials the premium rate number, so as far as BT
are concerned its not their fault. There is an article in the latest
Computer Active saying BT have had 100,000+ complaints but refuse to budge
on the issue.

Sorry

Si

Old July 13th 04, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Tony" wrote in message
I am sorry if I am posting this on the wrong forum. I have an dial up
internet connection with BT. I am on an anytime package which I dial a
freephone number when i want to use the internet.

Having received my BT bill it seems the calls I made to connect to the
internet have somehow been redirected to a 09xx number. The result is I

have
ended up with a large phobe bill.

Am I oblidged to pay this bill. Or the fact that I have actually dialled a
freephone number mean it is BT's liabilty. And advice would be appreciated

Thanks

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...dialersoftware

Read that, it will explain

I think you have to pay though

Old July 13th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

Yes, you are liable in most cases. The most likely case is that the PC you
are using has been infected with a virus and/or spyware (normally a third
party dialler). You are responsible to protect you PC from virus's etc by
using for example a firewall and virus checker of some sort.

Whether you have to pay all or part of the bill is down to the goodwill of
BT.
Good Luck

Old July 13th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"Tony" wrote in message
Am I oblidged to pay this bill. Or the fact that I have actually dialled a
freephone number mean it is BT's liabilty. And advice would be appreciated

You'll get no joy from BT (as usual!). You obviously have a dialler bot
which hijacks the call.

Start using Spybot Search and Destroy (or similar) on a regular basis.

Old July 13th 04, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Tony" wrote in message

Having received my BT bill it seems the calls I made to connect to the
internet have somehow been redirected to a 09xx number. The result is
I have ended up with a large phobe bill.

Am I oblidged to pay this bill. Or the fact that I have actually
dialled a freephone number mean it is BT's liabilty. And advice would
be appreciated

Have a look at http://www.bt.com/premiumrates/ for BT's advice on this and
for details of ICSTIS.

BT offer free barring of 09xx numbers on their telephone lines - you may
want to take them up on this..

Regards
Sunil

Old July 13th 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kevin Vivian

In article , Tony
writes
Having received my BT bill it seems the calls I made to connect to the
internet have somehow been redirected to a 09xx number. The result is I have
ended up with a large phobe bill.

Am I oblidged to pay this bill. Or the fact that I have actually dialled a
freephone number mean it is BT's liabilty. And advice would be appreciated

Thanks

According to The Guardian last Saturday (Money section), BT has never
taken anyone to Court who has refused to pay rogue dialler charges
because, they suggest, there is legislation (I can't remember the name
of the Act) which would cause BT to lose. (The same legislation would
probably protect you from mobile phone charges run up if your phone is
stolen but before you can report it - with certain caveats.)

The procedure should be, provided that you can demonstrate beyond
reasonable doubt that you would not have dialled the number yourself or
derived any benefit from doing so, to pay the BT bill less the rogue
charges, adding 50p for admin., and send with a covering letter
explaining that this is in full and final settlement of that bill. Then
wait and see what happens.

Incidentally, The Guardian pointed out that you can block 090 numbers
for free with BT, but many of the new diallers call abroad.

Hope this helps. If you choose to follow The Guardian's advice, I would
be interested to hear the outcome!

Cheers
--
Kevin

Old July 13th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:36:41 +0100, Tony wrote:

I am sorry if I am posting this on the wrong forum. I have an dial up
internet connection with BT. I am on an anytime package which I dial a
freephone number when i want to use the internet.

Having received my BT bill it seems the calls I made to connect to the
internet have somehow been redirected to a 09xx number. The result is I
have
ended up with a large phobe bill.

Am I oblidged to pay this bill. Or the fact that I have actually dialled
freephone number mean it is BT's liabilty. And advice would be
appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

As others have said this will likely be the cause of dialler that has been
installed on your PC which will take over the dial-up connection. Two
things to do first, one, run a full scan of your system with anti-virus
and anti-spyware software (such as Spybot and Adaware) to ensure you get
rid of the dialler and also make sure you have all the latest updates for
your operating system.

Second thing to do is go to ICTIS's site http://www.icstis.org.uk/ they
can give you advice regarding this and also you should be able to get the
cost of the premium rate numbers suspended on your BT bill until the
matter is resolved. Whether in the end you'll have to pay the cost or not
I couldn't say.

--
Regards,

Old July 13th 04, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:58:30 +0100, "Roger Cain"
wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
Am I oblidged to pay this bill. Or the fact that I have actually dialled a
freephone number mean it is BT's liabilty. And advice would be appreciated

You'll get no joy from BT (as usual!). You obviously have a dialler bot
which hijacks the call.

Start using Spybot Search and Destroy (or similar) on a regular basis.

Why should BT stand the charges? It is the responsibility of the user
to ensure they are adequately protected. BT did not install the
premium rate dialler, why should they write off the charges paid to
the criminals ? Sue the scammers instead..thats the only way to stop
the problem

Old July 13th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spoon

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:44:54 GMT, [news.ntlworld.com] mentioned :-

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
news
[...]

This happened to me, the amount was 92 for 1 call. Which was refunded in
full.
What I found out was that calls to these numbers should be
cut off automatically by BT

No, the people who *run* the number should limit the call, if they
don't they are fully in breach of the ICSTIS rules.

, when the amount has reached ( I think it was)
17 + vat, about
20. If it is more than that then may refund you.
Don't pay it or they may say you have accepted the bill.