DNS Problem

Old July 13th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default DNS Problem

I can choose any active WEB site at random and it will appear OK in my
browser except one: www.mideng.co.uk A check with a friend indicates
its up and running.

In DOS on my machine a ping request resolves the site name to 0.0.0.1
so its bound to fail. My HOSTS file exists and there are no entries
present. I have run AdAware, CWShedder, HiJackThis and Registry
Mechanic and all appears to be in order. Norton AV [with the latest
signatures] reports no problems.

Have disconnected my LAN and used a Dial Up connection but the site
still resolves to 0.0.0.1

Have tried ipconfig /flushdns and this makes no difference. The output
from ipconfig /displaydns can be seen at
http://www.cyberpictures.net/dns/dcb.txt where it is observed that the
'A' record reads 0.0.0.1

I added an entry into my HOSTS file for www.mideng.co.uk as
81.3.70.167 and can then both ping and bring up the site.

My diagnostic skills ends here, so if some kind soul can point out
where this dam 0.0.0.1 is being picked up from and a method to get
back to normality, it would be very, very, very much appreciated.

David Bradley

Old July 13th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"David Bradley" wrote in message
My diagnostic skills ends here, so if some kind soul can point out
where this dam 0.0.0.1 is being picked up from and a method to get
back to normality, it would be very, very, very much appreciated.

Well I just tried to access the site in IE and I can't reach it either. A
ping from my machine to www.mideng.co.uk shows that it resolves to the IP
address 0.0.0.1 (and obviously times out).

So nothing you've done is at fault. Your friend could well be accessing it
from his local cache or via a proxy server.

Looks like a prob with whoever hosts this domain name.

James

Old July 13th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:21:10 +0100, David Bradley
wrote:

snip

Can you post the results of an "ipconfig /all"? Maybe you have an
internal DNS server that you are unaware of? Although it's hard to set
up DNS without your knowledge
--
Richard Sobey

Old July 13th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:31:59 +0100, "James Hurrell"
wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
My diagnostic skills ends here, so if some kind soul can point out
where this dam 0.0.0.1 is being picked up from and a method to get
back to normality, it would be very, very, very much appreciated.

Well I just tried to access the site in IE and I can't reach it either. A
ping from my machine to www.mideng.co.uk shows that it resolves to the IP
address 0.0.0.1 (and obviously times out).

So nothing you've done is at fault. Your friend could well be accessing it
from his local cache or via a proxy server.

Looks like a prob with whoever hosts this domain name.

James

Much appreciated on your effort. The site is hosted by Compila who
say:
"It is possible that you tried accessing this account and your
provider did not connect properly and has now cahced the inactive
session REQUEST.

I have tested your domain NAme and do not have any issues, a trace on
your domain name goes to 81.3.70.167 which is correct and is the Ip
Address for the server where your account is located.

I would suggest that you allow your ISP to update their caching
servers and try again later this evening as this will allow time for
your ISp to update their cached servers."

My ISP is Nildram; are you similarly connected? However I think
Compila is giving me the ran around here and I have responded
accordinly.

David Bradley

Old July 13th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

snip

Can you post the results of an "ipconfig /all"? Maybe you have an
internal DNS server that you are unaware of? Although it's hard to set
up DNS without your knowledge

Did think about doing that but thought there might be a security issue
in doing so, perhaps that was a bit of the top so here it is:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [I have deleted this for
security reasons]
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : GVC-REALTEK Ethernet
10/100 PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : [I have deleted this for
security reasons]
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
213.208.106.213
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 13 July 2004 04:04:59
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 July 2004 04:04:59

There appears to be nothing wrong here.

The PC is connected to a Vigor 2600 plus. All machines on the network
are unable to reach www.mideng.co.uk but can get there, with no entry
in the HOSTS file, with http://mideng.co.uk

I feel pretty frustrated on this one.

David Bradley

Old July 13th 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

wrote:

Well I just tried to access the site in IE and I can't reach it either. A
ping from my machine to www.mideng.co.uk shows that it resolves to the IP
address 0.0.0.1 (and obviously times out).

So nothing you've done is at fault. Your friend could well be accessing it
from his local cache or via a proxy server.

Looks like a prob with whoever hosts this domain name.

My ISP is Nildram; are you similarly connected? However I think
Compila is giving me the ran around here and I have responded
accordinly.

I have tested from both home (ntl) and my work connection and both
resolve to the correct IP address. Demon (from their website tools)
also concur. Perhaps, although a big coincidence, both your ISPs are
having strange DNS issues?
--
Richard Sobey

Old July 13th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

wrote:

snip

Can you post the results of an "ipconfig /all"? Maybe you have an
internal DNS server that you are unaware of? Although it's hard to set
up DNS without your knowledge

Did think about doing that but thought there might be a security issue
in doing so, perhaps that was a bit of the top so here it is:

Deleting the hostname won't make any difference - it's not going to be
particularly unique and since you're behind a NAT firewall there are
no security considerations. Good call on the MAC address deletion
though.

213.208.106.213
There appears to be nothing wrong here.

Agreed, the results show nothing out of the ordinary. If you open a
command prompt, type "nslookup" enter, "server 213.208.106.212"
enter and then at the prompt "www.mideng.co.uk" enter. This will
resolve to one of two things and hopefully will tell you whether
Nildram's DNS is playing up or your PC has something cached locally.

I tried myself but, not surprisingly, Nildram's servers don't like ntl
IP addresses
--
Richard Sobey

Old July 13th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

My ISP is Nildram; are you similarly connected? However I think
Compila is giving me the ran around here and I have responded
accordinly.

David Bradley

Yes David, by coincidence, my ISP is Nildram also. Reading the other posts,
seems the issue is with Nildram and their DNS server.

I'm using the 213.208.106.212 / 213 servers. Changing to the old DNS
servers (195.112.4.7) solves the prob.

James

Old July 13th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

It looks as though an incorrect record may be cached on the DNS server.
I can't check those DNS servers either, but a different Nildram DNS server
195.112.4.7 is showing the correct record, as is our's.

C:\Documents and Settings\Agentnslookup www.mideng.co.uk 195.112.4.7
Server: dns1.nildram.co.uk
Address: 195.112.4.7

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mideng.co.uk
Address: 81.3.70.167
Aliases: www.mideng.co.uk

C:\Documents and Settings\Agentnslookup www.mideng.co.uk 212.159.6.9
Server: ptn-cdns01.plus.net
Address: 212.159.6.9

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mideng.co.uk
Address: 81.3.70.167
Aliases: www.mideng.co.uk

Yes seems problem is with Nildram's main DNS servers (213.208.106.212 /
213). I am on the same as the OP and cannot reach the site in question
either. Changing to the old DNS servers resolves the prob.

Old July 13th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dotcom Computers

In ,
James Hurrell typed:
[...]

Working fine here, and I use Nildram.