Broadband & Calls Package

Old July 13th 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Broadband & Calls Package

I've been holding off from getting broadband until better packages come
along. I did get an email from Onetel saying they were going to do a
broadband and calls package combined for a flat fee. I understand that this
is going to be £29.99 for broadband and all local and national landline
calls, plus you get the modem and connection free. Calls to mobiles are just
a bit reduced but not much. The broadband bit will require a one year
contract but not the phone element. At present Onetel are asking for £23.99
a month just for broadband. So is this good value and are Onetel any good in
the broadband stakes? TIA.

Steve

Old July 13th 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Steve wrote:

I've been holding off from getting broadband until better packages
come along. I did get an email from Onetel saying they were going to
do a broadband and calls package combined for a flat fee. I
understand that this is going to be £29.99 for broadband and all
local and national landline calls, plus you get the modem and
connection free. Calls to mobiles are just a bit reduced but not
much. The broadband bit will require a one year contract but not the
phone element. At present Onetel are asking for £23.99 a month just
for broadband. So is this good value and are Onetel any good in the
broadband stakes? TIA.

Steve

I guess it depends on how many calls you make.

You can get a perfectly good ADSL service for under 20 quid per month -
condsiderably under if you're prepared to accept a download cap of 1 or 2 GB
per month.

Using indirect operators, you need not pay more than 1p per minute for
daytime geographic calls. Using BT Together Option 1 - which is now not an
option at all, but is bundled into the line rental - you can make offpeak
calls of up to an hour each for 5.5p

You can therefore make quite a lot of calls - more than I do, at any rate -
for the difference in price between the 29.99 which you quote and cheaper
ADSL options.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 13th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Steve wrote:

I've been holding off from getting broadband until better packages come
along. I did get an email from Onetel saying they were going to do a
broadband and calls package combined for a flat fee. I understand that
this is going to be £29.99 for broadband and all local and national
landline calls, plus you get the modem and connection free. Calls to
mobiles are just a bit reduced but not much. The broadband bit will
require a one year contract but not the phone element. At present Onetel
are asking for £23.99 a month just for broadband. So is this good value
and are Onetel any good in the broadband stakes? TIA.

Steve

If you have broadband you do not need the high prices of the old pots
phones. The reason BT and others have launched much lower prices if the
advent of the Broadband telephone which is free and still can connect to
conventional phones.

Just get a Greentel phone and calls to greentel phones are free anywhere in
the world. You can also call conventional phones anywhere in the world far
cheaper than BT eg 3p a minute to mobiles in India. See the prices at
www.greentel.cjb.net.

Don't recommend Onetel though, as their contention ratio fetches calls down
to less than 8Kbps, my friend has it and he is dragged down to a crawl
often less than his old V modem. I would recommend, Nildram, Zen and
Bulldog. I would also look at NDO as they are a long standing provider with
really good help forum (ndouser.com). Their £14.99 package on dialup is
good and I would suggest their adsl will be good as well.

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.
Old July 13th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

[...]

Thanks Tim, could you tell me what an "indirect operator" is and maybe give
an example of how to do this?

Steve

Old July 13th 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:30:37 UTC, Tiny Ramsden
wrote:

(Oh dear, he's back)

If you have broadband you do not need the high prices of the old pots
phones. The reason BT and others have launched much lower prices if the
advent of the Broadband telephone which is free and still can connect to
conventional phones.

Of course, it could just be the ongoing competition. Only a small
percentage have BB telephones; and they're not generally free.

No the calls between phones are free, but all handsets have to be paid for.
The Greentel usb phone cost £99 and is the next generation of phone
technology.

If you are aware of the latest news then you should know that BT is planning
to move to the web technolgy rather than the switched network ethos, so
they even recognize the march of technology.

Just get a Greentel phone and calls to greentel phones are free anywhere
in the world.

On commission, no doubt. Or is this another of your little 'operations'?

of course I have one it's great, but since you obviously haven't heard of
the system then I can give you my number it's 6808453.

Oh, and you're still not admitting that Lioncom (advertised in your
signature) is actually YOU.

Why should I look at my website. I bet you even think my singing is lousy
too?

Old July 13th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:30:37 UTC, Tiny Ramsden
wrote:

(Oh dear, he's back)

If you have broadband you do not need the high prices of the old pots
phones. The reason BT and others have launched much lower prices if the
advent of the Broadband telephone which is free and still can connect to
conventional phones.

Of course, it could just be the ongoing competition. Only a small
percentage have BB telephones; and they're not generally free.

Just get a Greentel phone and calls to greentel phones are free anywhere in
the world.

On commission, no doubt. Or is this another of your little 'operations'?

Oh, and you're still not admitting that Lioncom (advertised in your
signature) is actually YOU.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old July 13th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Steve wrote:

[...]

An indirect operator is a company such as 18866 [ http://www.18866.com ] or
Tiscali SmartTalk [
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/services/sm...rccode=COD_200 ]
who route your phone calls over their voice network rather than BT's.

There are 2 ways of using this type of service - either by dialling a prefix
before the called number or by means of CPS (carrier pre-select) in which
virtually *all* your calls go out over the third party network without
requiring a prefix. Not all operators use CPS (I think that 18866 probably
doesn't) but they can all use a prefix - which enables you to control what
happens better.

All my daytime calls are made using Tiscali SmartTalk - at 2p per minute.
The 1615 prefix is programmed into a button on my phones to make it easy. I
get a bill every month for these calls from Tiscali, and they don't appear
on my BT bill. [I could save even more by changing to 18866 - but I spend
very little anyway, so it's not worth the hassle].

Hope this makes sense.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 14th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tiscali Tim" wrote:

All my daytime calls are made using Tiscali SmartTalk - at 2p per minute.
The 1615 prefix is programmed into a button on my phones to make it easy.

My daytime calls are either free (dialling someone on TalkTalk) or cost 1p
connection and 0.5p per minute to other geographic landlines. Cheaper ?!?
Old July 14th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Tiny Ramsden wrote:

Oh, and you're still not admitting that Lioncom

Why should I look at my website.

He wasn't talking about the website. However, anyone here will point out
that you have more than impartial interest in Lioncom if you recommend a
bit of equipment from 'them'.
Old July 15th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grendel