Broadband in Moscow

Old July 13th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,comp.dcom.xdsl,soc.sulture.russian
Peter Verdon

Default Broadband in Moscow

My parents will be moving to Moscow next year, and have asked me to
investigate Russian providers of broadband Internet connections. I've found
rather less than I would have expected via Google (the fact that I have
only the barest smattering of Russian doesn't help) and so my last hope is
that someone in one of these newsgroups (uk.telecom.broadband,
comp.dcom.xdsl, soc.culture.russian) might be able to give me some clues.

Although I have a reasonable grasp of broadband technology in general, I
know nothing at all about the market in Moscow. Thus, any information at
all is helpful.

Thanks,

Pete
Old July 13th 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Kelly

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:39:41 +0100, Peter Verdon
wrote:

My parents will be moving to Moscow next year, and have asked me to
investigate Russian providers of broadband Internet connections. I've found
rather less than I would have expected via Google (the fact that I have
only the barest smattering of Russian doesn't help) and so my last hope is
that someone in one of these newsgroups (uk.telecom.broadband,
comp.dcom.xdsl, soc.culture.russian) might be able to give me some clues.

Although I have a reasonable grasp of broadband technology in general, I
know nothing at all about the market in Moscow. Thus, any information at
all is helpful.

oh I can't ask my wife now cause she is watching wife swap (probably
thinking of goin on the show herself) :-). But we look at that last
October for our place in Moscow - Russia. So she can help you. over
the weekend. and can translate the things for you. Also they have
"HIGHER" connection rates than we have here in UK (what a surprise.)
But how long are you going for? Also one thing which I remember from
pay as you go mobile phone it was quite difficult to get a connection
if I wanted one. (which might apply to your parents.) (in our case
my wife took out the pay as you go simcard.)
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.
Old July 13th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Kelly

wrote:

My parents will be moving to Moscow next year, and have asked me to
investigate Russian providers of broadband Internet connections. I've found
rather less than I would have expected via Google (the fact that I have
only the barest smattering of Russian doesn't help) and so my last hope is
that someone in one of these newsgroups (uk.telecom.broadband,
comp.dcom.xdsl, soc.culture.russian) might be able to give me some clues.

Although I have a reasonable grasp of broadband technology in general, I
know nothing at all about the market in Moscow. Thus, any information at
all is helpful.

ok two i just found looking myself

(can use babelfish to translate from Russian to english.)

http://tochka.ru/
http://www.stream.ru/

Also there is local area network setup in Moscow, quite common but
being not local do not know how easy it would be for you to get
connected to that type of system.