Recommended wireless routers for AOL broadband..?

Old July 14th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

Default Recommended wireless routers for AOL broadband..?

Hihi,

A customer of mine, against my recommendation, has chosen AOL as their
ADSL broadband supplier. They wish to share their connection between
the office & childrens' computers & so I have natrually recommended a
wireless router, the D-link DWL-G604T.

I chose the D-Link because it's a name brand and because its stocked by
my favorite supplier (Light Computers) who treat me very well as a
customer. But I am rather disappointed with the interface, and my
customer is unable to access the Internet on the LAN machines, except
from within the AOL browser software - sites accessed via Internet
Explorer just time out.

I have read on a Google search of this group http://tinyurl.com/684zs
http://tinyurl.com/5h8jf http://tinyurl.com/6vm8t that AOL
broadband requires the MTU to be set to below 1400, however I cannot
find how to configure the D-Link to do this. I have tried hacking the
MTU in the Windows registry
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/280/ but this has made
no difference.

Clearly the best solution is to replace the router. So that I don't
encounter similar issues again, what routers are people using with AOL
broadband, please..? I really need one that supports wireless G.

Thanks in advance for any & all responses,

Stroller.

Old July 14th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Stroller wrote in
:

[...]

If you or your friend already have access to AOL, all is explained at
keyword Home Networking.

The DSL-G604T works just fine with AOL (as do all routers that I am
aware of...). The trick is to set the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit)
to 1400 and the Receive Window (RWIN) to 13600.

You can set the MTU on the DSL-G604T. Just make sure you have the
current firmware which you can get from he
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-g604t/
as the initial firmware didn't allow this.

Or you can set MTU and RWIN on each PC using the DrTCP tool which you
can get from he
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

And you really shouldn't need to hack the Registry by hand. It really
is pretty straightforward. If you need advice on issues like this,
either look to the AOL forum on ADSLGuide or to the dedicated D-Link
DSL-G604T forum at eXpansys.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old July 16th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

On 2004-07-14 23:27:16 +0100, Richard Perkin said:

Stroller wrote in
:
A customer of mine, against my recommendation, has chosen AOL as
their ADSL broadband supplier. ... I have natrually
[...]

Ah! Many thanks. The new firmware resolved the issue toot sweet.

Or you can set MTU and RWIN on each PC using the DrTCP tool which you
can get from he
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

And you really shouldn't need to hack the Registry by hand. It really
is pretty straightforward.

Well, no, my customer shouldn't have to setup anything non-standard
anytime they want to connect a visitor's laptop to their LAN. Whilst I
am prepared to work with AOL's non-standard configuration as a part of
a one-off installation, both hacking the registry and requiring an
after-market tool on each client machine are both inelegant.

Generally speaking, if something requires changing in the registry on a
one-off basis & I do not have a familliar tool at hand for the task, I
of of the disposition to make the changes by hand, rather than to look
for a new tool for job. In this way I know the changes have been made
correctly, rather than relying on the unknown quantity of the author of
unknown software.

In much appreciation of your assistance,

Stroller.