Does location detrmine ADSL 'quality' ?

Old July 14th 04, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

Default Does location detrmine ADSL 'quality' ?

Do different ISP's provide a 'better' connection in certain parts of the UK?

Clive

Old July 14th 04, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Houston

"Clive" wrote in message
Do different ISP's provide a 'better' connection in certain parts of the

UK?

Clive

The quality of broadband depends more on how far you are from your
telephone exchange AFAIA rather than individual ISPs, although that
depends greatly on your definition of "ADSL quality." I'm assuming
you mean strength of signal etc.

James H

Old July 14th 04, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

"Clive" wrote in
:

Do different ISP's provide a 'better' connection in certain parts
of the UK?

There are only 2 suppliers of domestic fixed line telephone
connections in the UK, namely BT and Kingston Communications (which
serves Hull and parts of E Yorkshire).

All ISPs offering broadband services over ADSL use (and need to use)
BT connections with the exception of Karoo which uses Kingston
(Kingston is Karoo's parent).

So a 'better' connection does not depend on the local connection, but
may depend on contention at the exchange and the circuits (including
non-BT) circuits which make the onward connection to the ISP.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old July 15th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

J Houston wrote:
"Clive" wrote in message
Do different ISP's provide a 'better' connection in certain parts
of the UK?

Clive

The quality of broadband depends more on how far you are from your
telephone exchange AFAIA rather than individual ISPs, although that
depends greatly on your definition of "ADSL quality." I'm assuming
you mean strength of signal etc.

The quality of the broadband depends on the quality of the network, not on
how far you are from the exchange.