Intermittent ADSL problems with audible noises on line

Old July 14th 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default Intermittent ADSL problems with audible noises on line

I'm trying to help my father-in-law with an ADSL problem, and would
appreciate anyone's comments.

His ADSL line was working fine for a couple of months, but now it's
started intermittently having connection problems. He's tried a D-Link
DSL300T modem and a Solwise ADSL router, and gets the same problem
with both. Therefore it seems pretty certain that it's a line fault.
The problem is, because it's intermittent, Sod's Law strikes so that
every time he gets a BT engineer round to look into it, the problem
doesn't happen. And of course BT then send him a bill. Recently he's
noticed that at the times when the modem or router is having problems,
he can here faint "squeaks" on the voice circuit (he describes it as
being a little bit like a mouse). Has anyone ever heard of something
like this before?
--
Clive Backham

Does your father-in law have an intruder alarm that uses Redcare monitoring?

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 14th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

[...]

Note: As a spam avoidance measure, the email address in the header
is just a free one and doesn't get checked very often. If you want to email
me, my real address can be found at: www [dot] delback [dot] co [dot] uk
Old July 14th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Clive Backham wrote:
I'm trying to help my father-in-law with an ADSL problem, and would
appreciate anyone's comments.

Swap the microfilter for another one, preferably known good, definitely
conforming to SIN356.

I spent the weekend in the press and photographers centres at
Silverstone, inter alia doing a little light support of photographers'
DSL circuits. Dodgy microfilters were a good portion of the problems.

ian
Old July 14th 04, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian G Batten

In article ,
wrote:
I have put up with this problem for over 12 months had several BT bods
round and all have said nothing wrong with your line it must be your
equipment and pointed to our router they shut their gobs and buggered
off when I told them we have had four different routers all giving the

Did you try changing the microfilters? For proper compliant ones?

ian
Old July 15th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Backham

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:22:42 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

Does your father-in law have an intruder alarm that uses Redcare monitoring?

I'm pretty certain he doesn't (he lives in a small village in
Cornwall: not exactly a hotbed of crime!), but will check with him.
Thanks for the suggestion.