Wired or Wireless

Old July 15th 04, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niaz Khan

Default Wired or Wireless

I'm still deciding on which broadband ISP to go with either Pipex or Zen.
Zen seem to have the better Usenet server but are slightly more expensive.
But Pipex do not charge an activation fee unlike Zen.

Now I have been thinking about my next question.
I have 3 pc's in the house which would all like to use the broadband
connection.

Do I go for a wired option or wireless ?
I assume wireless but now I get confused I don't understand what the 802.11g
means ? & you can buy 54mbps & 108mpbs
I don't want to have a fast 512k connection & then slow it down by having a
slow network ? Does that make sense ?

Also any recommendations on hardware would be great.

--
Niaz Khan
'..getting old & still playing video games..'

Old July 15th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Niaz Khan" wrote in
:

I'm still deciding on which broadband ISP to go with either Pipex or
Zen. Zen seem to have the better Usenet server but are slightly more
expensive. But Pipex do not charge an activation fee unlike Zen.

I've not had a bad experience with Zen, though I migrated to PlusNet for
a number of reasons (nothing to do with bad experience with Zen).

Now I have been thinking about my next question.
I have 3 pc's in the house which would all like to use the broadband
connection.

Do I go for a wired option or wireless ?

Whether you go wired or wireless really depends on where your computers
are located (convenience of installation) and whether you want to move
about the house.

I assume wireless but now I get confused I don't understand what the
802.11g means ? & you can buy 54mbps & 108mpbs
I don't want to have a fast 512k connection & then slow it down by
having a slow network ? Does that make sense ?

Even the slowest wireless connection is faster than the ADSL connection!
512Kbps = 0.5Mbps. So for pure Internet access 802.11g will be more
than adequate. Transferring files between computers on your network on
the other hand is slower than a wired network.

802.11g is rated at 54Mbps, but you'll only get 20 - 25Mbps throuput out
of that in reality. I'd probably stay away from 108Mbps wireless as
they're proprietry extentions to 802.11g and different brands may not
work together.

802.11b, which I have is rated at 11Mbps, but in reality I get 5Mbps
throughput which is still more than adequate for Internet access.
Transferring large files between my file server and laptop is very slow
though.

Also any recommendations on hardware would be great.

I'd go for an wireless ADSL router (NOT one marked as broadband or
Cable/DSL router as these don't have built in ADSL modems). The Netgear
DB834, Belkin and Dlink ones seem popular.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old July 15th 04, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

I agreed with much Phil has to say.

Some other things to bear in mind :
Wired is a lot more secure than wireless, there is a lot of debate about
wireless networks and their encryption, WEP is considered to be weak. It
depends on what you are going to use your network for. I look after a
network for a large corporate and wireless is a big No No unless its
unavoidable.

Construction of your house can be a factor for example
I use a Linksys WAG54G Wireless router and a Linksys WPC54G pc card in a
laptop (802.11g max 54Mbs 2.4Ghz). If I use the laptop in the same or
adjacent room (one brick wall) I get 54Mbs no problem. Moving further away
(two brick walls) it drops down to about 24Mbs.
Using another laptop, this with built in wireless functionality (only
802.11b max 11Mbs) I get 11Mbs and 1 or 2Mbs respectively. These figures are
without encryption, add this in and your effective throughput is not as high
as you may expect.

Some Cordless phones and appliances (microwaves) can kill your wireless
network.

In summary there many factors to consider, so your wireless network may work
like a dream or it could be a complete nightmare depending on your
circumstances.

"Phil Chung" wrote in message
"Niaz Khan" wrote in
:

Old July 15th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Niaz Khan wrote:

I'm still deciding on which broadband ISP to go with either Pipex or Zen.
Zen seem to have the better Usenet server but are slightly more expensive.
But Pipex do not charge an activation fee unlike Zen.

Definetely Zen they give you 8 static ip addressess for free. Which you woud
need if you want to alot each machine with it's own ip address.

Now I have been thinking about my next question.
I have 3 pc's in the house which would all like to use the broadband
connection.

Do I go for a wired option or wireless ?

Wireless much cheaper 69 for the box and 23 for each machine (wireless
usb's) Saves earache from wives to over cables round the house and add the
cost of network cables installation times you save loads.

I assume wireless but now I get confused I don't understand what the
802.11g means ? & you can buy 54mbps & 108mpbs

G is the new less used system faster but less than half the range. Most
wireless sites use the b because they cover more customers than g and more
customers use b in their laptops.

g is really for thos who have 8Mbps connections such as modern Japanease
apartments. It will be years before we see this in the UK.

I don't want to have a fast 512k connection & then slow it down by having
a slow network ? Does that make sense ?

You will not notice.

Also any recommendations on hardware would be great.

I quoted the lioncom adsl wireless and their wireless usb's which I use the
desktops and laptops. I also use Zen because each machine can have it's own
ip address and the speed is always good unlike my friends who have chosen BT
and Onetel services.

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.
Old July 15th 04, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:12:50 +0100, Phil Chung
wrote:

"Niaz Khan" wrote in
:

Do I go for a wired option or wireless ?

Whether you go wired or wireless really depends on where your computers
are located (convenience of installation) and whether you want to move
about the house.

Wired if you can away with it. It is much faster, more secure and far
less likely to encounter problems.

Wireless, on the other hand, is more versatile and frees you up to
move around as you see fit. But there can be complications and it can
be a total s**t if it goes wrong.

Personally I prefer and use wireless, but I have had to solve a number
of problems along the way that some might prefer not to have had to
deal with.

I assume wireless but now I get confused I don't understand what the
802.11g means ? & you can buy 54mbps & 108mpbs
I don't want to have a fast 512k connection & then slow it down by
having a slow network ? Does that make sense ?

Even the slowest wireless connection is faster than the ADSL connection!
512Kbps = 0.5Mbps. So for pure Internet access 802.11g will be more
than adequate. Transferring files between computers on your network on
the other hand is slower than a wired network.

Agreed - the WLAN will be vastly faster than the ADSL connection, but
no where near as fast wired.

802.11g is rated at 54Mbps, but you'll only get 20 - 25Mbps throuput out
of that in reality. I'd probably stay away from 108Mbps wireless as
they're proprietry extentions to 802.11g and different brands may not
work together.

802.11b, which I have is rated at 11Mbps, but in reality I get 5Mbps
throughput which is still more than adequate for Internet access.
Transferring large files between my file server and laptop is very slow
though.

The OP mentions the 108mbps systems. Whereas 802.11g is an approved
and certified standard the 108mbps systems are not. Essentially what
this means is that THEORETICALLY all 11g systems should interact
happily. 108mbps system however are proprietry systems i.e. there is
no accepted standard currently so the different manufacturers are
using different technology which is not necessarily intercompatible.

As mentioned wireless also has issues with the environment in which it
operates - the presence of nearby WLAN's, DECT phones and microwaves
can have an impact, as can the construction of your building.
Furthermore you'd be wise to take some security precautions on the
network and these will have processing overheads which will chew up
some of the theoretical 54mb bandwidth.

Also any recommendations on hardware would be great.

I'd go for an wireless ADSL router (NOT one marked as broadband or
Cable/DSL router as these don't have built in ADSL modems). The Netgear
DB834, Belkin and Dlink ones seem popular.

I came very close to the Belkin F5D7630. I've also heard that the
3Com OfficeConnect is very good.

Belkin and 3Com seem to have pretty decent reputations. Netgear is
also very popular but has a reputation for dodgy firmware. Personally
I've found my Netgear DG834G to be excellent, although the Netgear PCI
and PCMCIA cards seem a little quirky and can be frustrating.

I have no experience of Linksys, but their reputation on this and
other wireless forums I read seems to be one of love 'em or hate 'em
with little in between. Buffalo, D-Link and US Robotics are other
well known names worth considering.
Old July 15th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Simon Pleasants wrote:

Personally I prefer and use wireless, but I have had to solve a number
of problems along the way that some might prefer not to have had to
deal with.

Would you care to eaborate?

I came very close to the Belkin F5D7630. I've also heard that the
3Com OfficeConnect is very good.

I'm using a 3Com OfficeConnect (54g) wireless router which came bundled with
a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop. This is fine, and the wireless bit is
easy enough to set up with no security. However, configuring the security
options is a different matter - not least because the same feature is
described differently on the two devices - even though they came from the
same stable and were sold as a package. I got there in the end - but only
after a lot of swearing and grinding of teeth!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 16th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:48:50 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"

Simon Pleasants wrote:

Personally I prefer and use wireless, but I have had to solve a number
of problems along the way that some might prefer not to have had to
deal with.

Would you care to eaborate?

I stopped short in the previous post because I did not believe the OP
would benefit from a recount of my problems.

The problems to which I refer do not really relate to the router
(Netgear DG834G) which has caused minimal problems itself and had two
successful firmware upgrades (1.03 - 1.04 - 1.05).

The problems are really to do with the cards which connect to it. The
PCMCIA card in the laptop (WG511) is used vastly more often and has
been the happier of the two cards. Setting up the initial connection
was no problem with 128bit WEP enabled. The trouble came later as it
became clear that the Netgear GUI did not work in limited accounts as
the other users of the laptop were. This required me to disable the
Netgear GUI and start using the rather unsophisticated XP zero config
utility. This was a pain but ultimately successful, if the Netgear
GUI had not tried to re-assert control every time the machine was
started.

Subsequent upgrades (two in one week) of the software and drivers have
brought the Netgear GUI back into play as it now works in limited
accounts AND provides support for WPA-PSK which I have therefore now
switched to. The first half of the week saw me using the WPA-PSK
ability in the Netgear GUI but then having to turn off the GUI and go
back to zero config for the limited users. Getting it to work
properly with WPA was damn near impossible and at the end of the week
Netgear released yet another update which now gave limited user
accounts the ability to use the Netgear GUI so I upgraded again and
things have been okay since.

The PCI card in the main computer (WG311v2) has been much more
difficult. Fortunately I have only used it occasionally, but from
this weekend it will become the only connection so I am going to have
to battle it out with it. The main problem is that it cannot see the
available networks at all. Typically it scans around the available
channels and only spots one or two of four or five available networks.
Usually they are the ones located in the channels 1-5 region and the
rest are not spotted. However if you sit and keep clicking "scan" it
will spot a different collection of networks each time. Even the
latest Netgear GUI does not support WPA-PSK or limited user accounts
so once again I've had to use the poxy zero config. Unfortunately
this is even less able to find my network than the Netgear GUI.
Getting a connection to the network is a total lottery as you can
battle for 30 mins with it not finding the network and then whilst you
go for a cup of tea it can suddenly find it. Once connected it can
stay stable for hours - just pray you don't have to re-start the
computer. Other times it connects immediately. You just don't know
what you're going to get.

Even more frustrating is that the WG311v2 appears to be the forgotten
device. The WG311 itself has WPA-PSK and limited account support
included and the turbo WG311T also has these features. Both have had
these features for some time.

I can't help wondering if the scanning problem indicates that I
actually have a faulty card but I've had it several months so it might
be a bit late to complain now!

I came very close to the Belkin F5D7630. I've also heard that the
3Com OfficeConnect is very good.

I'm using a 3Com OfficeConnect (54g) wireless router which came bundled with
a PCMCIA wireless card for my laptop. This is fine, and the wireless bit is
easy enough to set up with no security. However, configuring the security
options is a different matter - not least because the same feature is
described differently on the two devices - even though they came from the
same stable and were sold as a package. I got there in the end - but only
after a lot of swearing and grinding of teeth!

The reviews I've read of the OfficeConnect appear to indicate that it
is basically a very good but more difficult to set up security and
other features than some other similar units. For this reason it
dropped to second place in the last round of reviews I saw - the
Netgear DG824G coming first!
Old July 16th 04, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
somewhat

"Niaz Khan" wrote in message

Do I go for a wired option or wireless ?

I gave wireless (802.11b) a go a few months back. Got my wireless
modem/router and client devices all working and then I noticed getting
headaches during and after using the internet which would last hours. My
girlfriend didn't seem to suffer though. I was reluctant to dismantle the
whole setup so I persisted with the pain for a few more days. I'm 100%
convinced it was the radio/microwaves from the wireless eqpt. In the end I
sold off the stuff and got a wired solution and no headaches

BTW I also have a bad time with mobile phones and need to use a handsfree
device.

So when people say there's no health risk, well, I say there is for me...

S.

Old July 17th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Do I go for a wired option or wireless ?

I gave wireless (802.11b) a go a few months back. Got my wireless
modem/router and client devices all working and then I noticed getting
headaches during and after using the internet which would last hours. My
girlfriend didn't seem to suffer though. I was reluctant to dismantle the
whole setup so I persisted with the pain for a few more days. I'm 100%
convinced it was the radio/microwaves from the wireless eqpt. In the end I
sold off the stuff and got a wired solution and no headaches

BTW I also have a bad time with mobile phones and need to use a handsfree
device.

So when people say there's no health risk, well, I say there is for me...

S.

No, I am not worried by the alleged GSM or wi-fi health issues.

I'll tell you what DOES concern me though
The Mars Express data is convincing many scientists that primitive
amoeba-like life could exist on Mars after all, so they are thinking of
sending a probe to bring some specimens back to Earth.
Now that's scary

Graham.