PlusNet News service problems.

Old July 15th 04, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default PlusNet News service problems.

I like other customers of PlusNet have been going through and putting up
with the problems of the news service. Finally I changed back to the
German (Berlin) service, (of which I had already been a subscriber), and
apart from not getting the PlusNet Newsgroups I have been enjoying a
"lightening" service. Assuming the PlusNet service is or will be back to
its proper performance, what advantages would I gain by going back. I
don't miss the PlusNet newsgroups as I can always log on here to get the
service news so what would I miss by staying with the German service. I
have posted this question to the PlusNet forum but would also like to
get the views of posters to this newsgroup.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old July 15th 04, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Derrick Fawsitt wrote in
:

I like other customers of PlusNet have been going through and putting
up with the problems of the news service. Finally I changed back to
the German (Berlin) service, (of which I had already been a
subscriber), and apart from not getting the PlusNet Newsgroups I have
been enjoying a "lightening" service. Assuming the PlusNet service is
or will be back to its proper performance, what advantages would I
gain by going back. I don't miss the PlusNet newsgroups as I can
always log on here to get the service news so what would I miss by
staying with the German service. I have posted this question to the
PlusNet forum but would also like to get the views of posters to this
newsgroup.

You probably won't miss anything if you're not a heavy user of usenet.
I'm using a Polish server at the moment. At home, I have my Linux file
server aggregating three feeds (PlusNet, Gazeta.pl and ClaraNews) into
one so missing posts on one server is retrieved on another server.

I guess heavy users of binary groups would have a 3rd party usenet
service anyway.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old July 15th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Phil Chung wrote:
Derrick Fawsitt wrote in
:

I like other customers of PlusNet have been going through and putting
up with the problems of the news service. Finally I changed back to
the German (Berlin) service, (of which I had already been a
subscriber), and apart from not getting the PlusNet Newsgroups I have
been enjoying a "lightening" service. Assuming the PlusNet service is
or will be back to its proper performance, what advantages would I
gain by going back. I don't miss the PlusNet newsgroups as I can

snip
You probably won't miss anything if you're not a heavy user of usenet.
I'm using a Polish server at the moment. At home, I have my Linux file
server aggregating three feeds (PlusNet, Gazeta.pl and ClaraNews) into
one so missing posts on one server is retrieved on another server.

I guess heavy users of binary groups would have a 3rd party usenet
service anyway.

Actually, at the moment, the plusnet newsserver has a comparable completion
rate to giganews, if not the same retention.
Old July 15th 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Ian Stirling wrote in
:

Actually, at the moment, the plusnet newsserver has a comparable
completion rate to giganews, if not the same retention.

I'm not a binary newsgroup user so wouldn't know about that. I have
experienced missing posts on some of the text groups though hence the
aggragating news proxy I've set up at home.

Old July 15th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Phil Chung wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote in
:

Actually, at the moment, the plusnet newsserver has a comparable
completion rate to giganews, if not the same retention.

I'm not a binary newsgroup user so wouldn't know about that. I have
experienced missing posts on some of the text groups though hence the
aggragating news proxy I've set up at home.

Personally, I've not seen this, apart from occasional lack of appearance
locally of posts to morderated groups.
Old July 15th 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:18:17 +0100, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

I like other customers of PlusNet have been going through and putting up
with the problems of the news service. Finally I changed back to the
German (Berlin) service, (of which I had already been a subscriber), and
apart from not getting the PlusNet Newsgroups I have been enjoying a
"lightening" service. Assuming the PlusNet service is or will be back to
its proper performance, what advantages would I gain by going back. I
don't miss the PlusNet newsgroups as I can always log on here to get the
service news so what would I miss by staying with the German service. I
have posted this question to the PlusNet forum but would also like to
get the views of posters to this newsgroup.

Hi Derrick,

We recently launched our new usenet platform (just last week) and so far
feedback has been very good. Please feel free to try it out and let us
know what you think.

--
Regards,

Old July 15th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Ian Stirling wrote in news:40f68362$0$92635
:

Personally, I've not seen this, apart from occasional lack of appearance
locally of posts to morderated groups.

It's the odd few posts that are are posted through news.gazeta.pl or
news.wanadoo.co.uk/news.freeserve.co.uk that don't arrive - they arrive on
news.clara.net fine though. I was asked to contact PlusNet CS with
message IDs of some of the missing posts, but just got the reply that
completion is not garuanteed even for text groups.

Old July 15th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Johnson

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:43:37 +0100, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

We recently launched our new usenet platform (just last week) and so far
feedback has been very good.

As a PN user I'll support that. It's now red hot, much faster than
I've experienced with either Giganews or Tera.
Old July 15th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , PlusNet Support Team
writes
wrote:

[...]

Dave.

You know I was so happy with news.individual.net, (the new name for the
Berlin news server), that I was simply going to remain with it but your
post was so warm and friendly that I will indeed do so. However, you
might like to match it with the Berlin server in performance so it would
be interesting to hear from anyone who is using PN's and the Berlin one
right now to see how they compare. For my part I find the German one
like lightening and was reluctant to leave it now. You really cannot
blame me after what we all went through while you were doing the work
you had to do in PlusNet. However, as I said above, I will indeed go
back to try it. Perhaps if you have time you might make sure I have the
correct configuration as at this stage I am not sure whether its "to
beta or not to beta", that is the question, (with apologies to Bill
Shakespeare).
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old July 15th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

wrote:

[...]

Leave out the beta, (usenet.plus.net is all you need).

I have used the German server for years, started when it was cis.dfn.de.
Text groups on the Plusnet server, when it was in good health, were always
at least as good and often got posts marginally before the German server.
This situation has returned with the completion of the Plusnet server work
and the new server put on line.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field