Wireless Setup for a PVR

Old July 15th 04, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Stone Free

Default Wireless Setup for a PVR

I am interested in setting up a wireless network as part of my PVR
solution. I want the PVR located next to the TV (Duh!) and it will get
its TV listings from digiguide.

Here is some ASCII art illustrating the situation:
| TV+PC PVR |\
| | \
| | \
| | \
| | \
| | S |
| | l |
| L i v i n g | o |
| | p |
| R o o m | i |
| | n |
| | g |
| ___________| |
| | | r |
| | | o |
| | Telephone | o |
| | Point | f /
| |___________| /
| | /
|_______________________________________________ Doorway |/
| |
| |
| |
| |
________________________________________________| C |
| | o |
| Door r |
| way r |
| __| i |
| | d |
| ________| o |
| | | o |
| | P.C | r |
| B E D R O O M | + | |
| | Tel | |
| | Point | |
| |________| |
| | |
| | |
|_______________________________________________| |
| | |

Possibility 1:

Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
room.
Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card

Possibility 2:
As above, but connect PC in Bedroom using a PCI ADSL Modem (Turning off
Router when using Bedroom PC)

Possibility 3+:
Anything you intelligent people suggest

Peter

Old July 15th 04, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Ian Stirling

In uk.telecom.broadband Stone Free spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis wrote:
I am interested in setting up a wireless network as part of my PVR
solution. I want the PVR located next to the TV (Duh!) and it will get
its TV listings from digiguide.

Here is some ASCII art illustrating the situation:
| TV+PC PVR |\
| | \

snip.
Possibility 1:

Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
room.
Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card

What is the compositoin of the wall between the living room and bedroom.

I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.

Possibility 2:
As above, but connect PC in Bedroom using a PCI ADSL Modem (Turning off
Router when using Bedroom PC)

You'll probably need to unplug it.

Possibility 3+:
Anything you intelligent people suggest

Me, I'd stick wires in.
But then you probably don't have a 100m reel of cable sitting.
Old July 15th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Stone Free

Ian Stirling wrote in
:

Possibility 1:

Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
room.
Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card

What is the compositoin of the wall between the living room and
bedroom.

It is stud partition plasterboard.

I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.

Possibility 2:
As above, but connect PC in Bedroom using a PCI ADSL Modem (Turning
off Router when using Bedroom PC)

You'll probably need to unplug it.

Possibility 3+:
Anything you intelligent people suggest

Me, I'd stick wires in.
But then you probably don't have a 100m reel of cable sitting.

No, your right I dont
Old July 15th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Ian Stirling

In uk.telecom.broadband Stone Free spam_KillKillKillstone_freeNoSpamPleaseWereBritis wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote in
:

Possibility 1:

Buy Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access point in living
room.
Connect PVR in Living room with PCI WiFi Card
Connect PC in Bedroom with PCI WiFi Card

What is the compositoin of the wall between the living room and
bedroom.

It is stud partition plasterboard.

In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
Ensure any PCI cards that you use have antennas that can be seperated
out a bit from the card, on a short bit of cable.
Otherwise, you can run into problems with the PCs shielding the signal.

Old July 23rd 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.internet.wireless
Stone Free

Ian Stirling wrote in
:

In that case, it should almost certainly work fine.
Ensure any PCI cards that you use have antennas that can be seperated
out a bit from the card, on a short bit of cable.
Otherwise, you can run into problems with the PCs shielding the
signal.

I'd say this is your best option, if wireless works OK.

I am thinking of buying the equipment from amazon, but I am still not
sure which PCI card to get. The Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter for 36
says it has a "Detachable Antenna" but the picture in amazon shows it
connected and I dont know if it will come with any cable.

I had a quick look in PC World (not for the prices obviously!) but I
could only see a Belkin 11b card showing one with cable and an aerial.

Is there one that you would recommend, or would I need to buy some sort
of cable for the Linksys adapter?

One bit I left out was I would like to place the router on a table under
the sloping roof. Will it matter that it isnt placed high up as I am
only needing wireless access over one floor, as it is a flat.

At a pinch I could put it in the bedroom if it could be mounted on the
wall, but I would not like to have to put up a shelf.

Thanks