router / cable question

Old July 15th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trevsmith

Default router / cable question

We're going to have ADSL installed shortly. I'm trying to suss out exactly
how I can get my PC to work upstairs and my XBOX downstairs, without
trailing cables around. Wireless solutions are not an option at the moment.

I currently have a basic telephone extension cable running up the stairs
underneath the carpet - is it possible that I can use this instead of
network cable, and have a converter at either end to connect to the router
and the XBOX?

Old July 15th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

We're going to have ADSL installed shortly. I'm trying to suss out

exactly
how I can get my PC to work upstairs and my XBOX downstairs, without
trailing cables around. Wireless solutions are not an option at the

moment.

I currently have a basic telephone extension cable running up the stairs
underneath the carpet - is it possible that I can use this instead of
network cable, and have a converter at either end to connect to the router
and the XBOX?

Assuming an XBOX is an Ethernet device with an RJ45 socket (I have no
interest in games)
and the phone cable contains at least 2 twisted pairs, and is not very long,
just crimp an RJ45 at each end wiring pins 1&2 with one pair and pins 3 &
6with the other pair at both ends and connect it to your router.
I wouldn't try this if you have the usual non-twisted flat 4 conductor
extension cable,

Why don't you replace it with a run of CAT5 anyway?

Graham.

--
%Profound_observation%

Old July 15th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

trevsmith wrote:

We're going to have ADSL installed shortly. I'm trying to suss out
exactly how I can get my PC to work upstairs and my XBOX downstairs,
without trailing cables around. Wireless solutions are not an option
at the moment.

I currently have a basic telephone extension cable running up the
stairs underneath the carpet - is it possible that I can use this
instead of network cable, and have a converter at either end to
connect to the router and the XBOX?

Very unlikely! I assume that the XBOX has an ethernet connection and would
ordinarily plug straight into the router? In that case, either get yourself
a long ethernet cable and run it alongside your phone cable under the carpet
or lay a length of CAT-5 cable alongside the phone cable, terninated by an
RJ45 socket each end and use short patch cables.

Is it fair to assume that the phone cable will be needed anyway for the
extension socket where the router is connected?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 16th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

trevsmith wrote:

We're going to have ADSL installed shortly. I'm trying to suss out
exactly how I can get my PC to work upstairs and my XBOX downstairs,
without
trailing cables around. Wireless solutions are not an option at the
moment.

I currently have a basic telephone extension cable running up the stairs
underneath the carpet - is it possible that I can use this instead of
network cable, and have a converter at either end to connect to the router
and the XBOX?

Yes, you can if you know how to connect the correct twisted pair to the
connect terminals on the RJ45 and your cable has 4 pairs in. As to
converters I do not see any converters that use BT sockets that will
provide the connection of all the correct pairs. (Usually only 3 wires have
been used by the installer.) You would need to disconnect the existing
sockets and crimp on RJ45 plugs which are cheap and the tool is about 16
unless you can borrow one.

It's cheaper though to just add another ethernet cable (20mtr for about 9
from lioncom).
--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.