Speed touch problem / maximum reach of broad band / rf filters?

Old July 15th 04, 11:20 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
James Salisbury

Default Speed touch problem / maximum reach of broad band / rf filters?

Hi,

My parents have just signed up with pipex, when they try to log in they
get a red and green flashing led on the modem. Pipex think it may be a
problem with the ADSL provison. What is the maximum line length ADSL can
support? I do know that they do have a BT rf filter (two coils) in the
dropwire termination unit. Should they call BT out to check?

Old July 16th 04, 12:41 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

My parents have just signed up with pipex, when they try to log in they
get a red and green flashing led on the modem. Pipex think it may be a
problem with the ADSL provison.

The line sounds like its not active yet... can BT confirm if they have
activated it yet ?

Old July 16th 04, 12:52 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Workie

James Salisbury wrote:

Hi,

My parents have just signed up with pipex, when they try to log in they
get a red and green flashing led on the modem. Pipex think it may be a
problem with the ADSL provison. What is the maximum line length ADSL can
support? I do know that they do have a BT rf filter (two coils) in the
dropwire termination unit. Should they call BT out to check?

The so called maximum line length is actually a rough guide. The issue
is the noise or db rating on your line. Is the ADSL light flashing all
the time, in other words prior to their trying to sign in because if
that is the case there is no ADSL signal on the line and it is a BT
exchange issue.
When they applied for ADSL they should have been given a line activation
date by Pipex which is given to Pipex by BT for the work at the exchange
to activate ADSL on their phone line. Has this date passed ? Pipex will
normally only send out the kit and login details once this date has been
given but it can be several days before the activation date when the kit
arrives.
Also when the modem was installed did your parents make sure they
installed the drivers before they plugged the modem into the computer ?
If not rip the drivers off and reinstall them before plugging the modem in.
Dodgy filters will not normally stop you logging in. The issue that
arises with dodgy filters is that the connection drops whenever the
phone is used.
If the ADSL light is flashing ( nine green and one orange if I remember
correctly ) it sounds like the line has not yet been activated for ADSL
at the telephone exchange. If the activation date has passed they will
need to Phone Pipex as BT will only deal with the ISP and so any BT
related problems have to be dealt with via Pipex.
Old July 16th 04, 07:21 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The RF filtering will stop it stone dead. Explain to your ISP and they have
BT remove them.

--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers to email me

Old July 16th 04, 11:05 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Laurie

Peter Crosland wrote:
The RF filtering will stop it stone dead. Explain to your ISP and
they have BT remove them.

But of course, you could then be back to whatever problem you had that
caused them to install the RF filtering in the first place. This is most
likely breakthrough on the phone handset, so be prepared to change that (or
get *it* filtered).

--
Laurie

Old July 16th 04, 01:36 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The ones on my line did not show up.
Steve wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:20:29 +0100, "James Salisbury"
wrote:

Hi,

My parents have just signed up with pipex, when they try to log
in they get a red and green flashing led on the modem. Pipex think
it may be a problem with the ADSL provison. What is the maximum line
length ADSL can support? I do know that they do have a BT rf filter
(two coils) in the dropwire termination unit. Should they call BT
out to check?

Wouldn't/shouldn't the filter have shown up on the line test?

Old July 16th 04, 05:25 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Pengbo

"Laurie" wrote in
:

But of course, you could then be back to whatever problem you had that
caused them to install the RF filtering in the first place. This is
most likely breakthrough on the phone handset, so be prepared to
change that (or get *it* filtered).

Aren't there newer versions of the rf filters that are ADSL compliant that
they can replace them with?

Seem to remember somone mentioning it on AG ages ago.
Old July 16th 04, 06:39 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
James Salisbury

"Laurie" wrote in message
Peter Crosland wrote:
The RF filtering will stop it stone dead. Explain to your ISP and
they have BT remove them.

But of course, you could then be back to whatever problem you had that
caused them to install the RF filtering in the first place. This is most
likely breakthrough on the phone handset, so be prepared to change that

(or
get *it* filtered).

--
Laurie

The problem was BBC Moorside edge and a old dial telephone. Since then the
dropwire and the phone have both been replaced, if I still get an RF
problem, I could arrange for all the phones to be behind an ADSL filter,
hope fully they have sufficent attenuation at 909, 1089 and 1215 KHz.

Old July 16th 04, 06:45 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Laurie

Pengbo wrote:
Aren't there newer versions of the rf filters that are ADSL compliant
that they can replace them with?

Yes, I think you are right.
Although I suspect the temptation will be just to rip the old filter out and
hope for the best :-)

--
Laurie

Old July 16th 04, 07:36 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

They definitely need to lose that RF choke.

I was going to advice you to ask BT to do it, but looking at Tx2's later
posting I am now wondering if you should ask your ISP to request BT to
remove the filter, as its presents is now a strictly Broadband issue.
I wonder if Luke could say if PN has ever had such a request.

'Course if it was me I would just rip the thing out myself and use it on the
PSTN side of an ADSL filter (if it was still needed)
Or, of course, leave it out and call it Music-on-Hold.

Graham.

--
%Profound_observation%