adsl on a one way line?

Old July 17th 04, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

Default adsl on a one way line?

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:19:12 GMT, "Mark Crowther"
strung together this:

can I get ADSL on a one way (incoming only) BT line? Tiscali say yes, BT say
no.

Depends why it's a one way line. If BT say no it's probably because
you\whoevers line it is are bad debtors.

also, the BT operator told me one way lines are only for people who can't
afford two way. nonsense surely??

Only time I've ever come across one way lines is when people don't pay
the bill.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Old July 17th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Mark Crowther wrote:
can I get ADSL on a one way (incoming only) BT line? Tiscali say
yes, BT say no.

also, the BT operator told me one way lines are only for people who
can't afford two way. nonsense surely??

There is no physical reason why you couldn't have DSL on an OCB line, but BT
have said that it will not supply it on one.

As BT are the suppliers you are stuck...

Old July 17th 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:03:17 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:19:12 GMT, "Mark Crowther"
strung together this:

can I get ADSL on a one way (incoming only) BT line? Tiscali say yes, BT say
no.

Depends why it's a one way line. If BT say no it's probably because
you\whoevers line it is are bad debtors.

also, the BT operator told me one way lines are only for people who can't
afford two way. nonsense surely??

Only time I've ever come across one way lines is when people don't pay
the bill.

Was, and probly still is, quite common for an intuder alarm system.
But then that was for outgoing calls only.

David Bradley
Old July 17th 04, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tim Clark" wrote:

In this case, I don't believe it is disallowed. Within the past year I
was involved in getting a batch of over 500 lines with ADSL, which had
both incoming and outgoing calls barred. There was a BT person involved
who ensured everything was strictly by the book.

There's quite a difference between having call barring on an otherwise
two-way line without special tariffs (eg LUS, one of the 'marketing'-
chosen reasons not to supply) and having an "In Contact" or similar
line, surely. I assume the 500 lines were residential/business but
all on full line rental and call barring (plus some other services,
perhaps) rather than some "special case"

So if BT persist in claiming you can't have outgoing calls barred and
ADSL, ask them for chapter and verse for this alleged restriction.

If it is only "call barring" then I'd agree, but I doubt it's somehow!

Old July 17th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"Mark Crowther" writes:

can I get ADSL on a one way (incoming only) BT line? Tiscali say yes, BT say
no.

also, the BT operator told me one way lines are only for people who can't
afford two way. nonsense surely??

As others have said, technically it's no problem, but many limitations
are due to admin restrictions (of the "there isn't a box on the form for
it" type), or marketing reasons.

Old July 17th 04, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

When I was involved with phone systems (some years ago) I saw quite a lot of
this, usually multiple lines in Private Hire offices. No doubt full line
rental is paid on such a line so I cannot see any technical or
administrative reason why ADSL cannot be provisioned.

I also came across systems provisioned with earth-start lines. I imagine
there would be a serious problem with such lines losing sync each time the
line is seized by the PABX. Wonder if someone currently involved could
comment.

Graham.

--
%Profound_observation%

Old July 18th 04, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
poster writes:

On 17 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tim Clark" wrote:

In this case, I don't believe it is disallowed. Within the past year I
was involved in getting a batch of over 500 lines with ADSL, which had
both incoming and outgoing calls barred. There was a BT person involved
who ensured everything was strictly by the book.

There's quite a difference between having call barring on an otherwise
two-way line without special tariffs (eg LUS, one of the 'marketing'-
chosen reasons not to supply) and having an "In Contact" or similar
line, surely. I assume the 500 lines were residential/business but
all on full line rental and call barring (plus some other services,
perhaps) rather than some "special case"

Yes, the lines were quite standard. They were on residential tariff
since little is to be gained from the better fault response on business
tariff, if the PSTN side isn't being used, since the ADSL doesn't have a
service level definition. The incoming calls barred and outgoing calls
barred were no cost options, though the BT guy did say it was unusual to
have both those options together on a line! I chose it to be absolutely
sure no call charges would arise, as outgoing calls barred doesn't stop
reverse charge calls.

Back to the original. I hadn't thought of the line being on LUS. I
assumed the "one way (incoming only)" was simply the outgoing calls
barred option.

--
Tim Clark
Old July 19th 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:19:12 GMT, Mark Crowther wrote:

Hi,

can I get ADSL on a one way (incoming only) BT line? Tiscali say yes, BT
say
no.

BT Wholesale classify an incoming call only line as being incompatible
with ADSL so unfortunately you can't subscribe to an ADSL service on one.

also, the BT operator told me one way lines are only for people who can't
afford two way. nonsense surely??

This might be the most common reason, I don't know, but it certainly isn't
the only reason. When I was at University one of my friends had an
incoming call only line because his landlord didn't want to get a huge
phonebill from the students in the house making calls.

--
Regards,

Old July 29th 04, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Sykes

"Tim Clark" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
In article ,
"Mark Crowther" writes:

can I get ADSL on a one way (incoming only) BT line? Tiscali say yes, BT

say
no.

also, the BT operator told me one way lines are only for people who

can't
afford two way. nonsense surely??

As others have said, technically it's no problem, but many limitations
are due to admin restrictions (of the "there isn't a box on the form for
it" type), or marketing reasons.

In this case, I don't believe it is disallowed. Within the past year I
was involved in getting a batch of over 500 lines with ADSL, which had
both incoming and outgoing calls barred. There was a BT person involved
who ensured everything was strictly by the book.

So if BT persist in claiming you can't have outgoing calls barred and
ADSL, ask them for chapter and verse for this alleged restriction.

I know someone who had ADSL installed with outgoing calls barred only 2 or 3
months ago.
So it can be done - although I don't know if he's actually tried to make any
outgoing calls on it....