Do all DSL lines "whistle"?

Old July 17th 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

Default Do all DSL lines "whistle"?

Do all DSL lines "whistle"?

I only ask because I've been trying to get a broadband connection going and
nothing is working. There's no audible disturbance on the line if I don't
use a microfilter so I'm starting to suspect the line's not actually
enabled. The ISP is BT - their broadband basic offering.

I've set up a DSL connection before, but that was using one of those BT
socket plate things so I never got to head any tone.

Jonathan

Old July 18th 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Jonathan wrote:
Do all DSL lines "whistle"?

I only ask because I've been trying to get a broadband connection
going and nothing is working. There's no audible disturbance on the
line if I don't use a microfilter so I'm starting to suspect the
line's not actually enabled. The ISP is BT - their broadband basic
offering.

I've set up a DSL connection before, but that was using one of those
BT socket plate things so I never got to head any tone.

Hello

Your line will not make a noise if a connection is not established, and it
may not make a noise in any case. You should use the lights on the
modem/router to determine whether the line has been activated. Is the
link/sync/WAN light flashing or steady? Have you tried different equipment?
Has the activation date passed?

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
24 hour service status information telephone: 0870 760 5933

Old July 18th 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
[...]

The router has a light labelled "ADSL" which is flashing slowly. The manual
says this means "ADSL training in progress" - but it just flashes all the
time - the link never gets established. The activation date has passed.
Maybe I better try BT's modem and see if that works - but I've tried the BT
generic login, and I'm pretty sure all my settings are correct on the
router:

PPPoA settings:

VPI=0
VCI=38
Mode=g.dmt
Auth=chap
Idle reconnect=0

Jonathan

Old July 18th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
[...]

If the light is flashing it means there is no synchronisation on the line
i.e. it is not activated, or something is preventing sync'. The BT login
will make no difference here, since the line must be sync'd before any login
details are sent. Try the modem, and if that doesn't work call BT.

Dominic

Old July 18th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
[...]

OK cheers - thanks for your help. It's a sunny day out there though, you
should be in the jacuzzi with a pina colada, not stuck inside giving me tips
on DSL synching.

Jonathan

Old July 18th 04, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in
message ...
Jonathan wrote:
Do all DSL lines "whistle"?

I only ask because I've been trying to get a broadband connection
going and nothing is working. There's no audible disturbance on
the line if I don't use a microfilter so I'm starting to suspect
the line's not actually enabled. The ISP is BT - their broadband
basic offering.

snip

OK cheers - thanks for your help. It's a sunny day out there though,
you should be in the jacuzzi with a pina colada, not stuck inside
giving me tips on DSL synching.

It's not so sunny here (Bucks) - overcast with occasional showers.

Old July 18th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in
message ...
Jonathan wrote:
Do all DSL lines "whistle"?

I only ask because I've been trying to get a broadband connection
going and nothing is working. There's no audible disturbance on
the line if I don't use a microfilter so I'm starting to suspect
the line's not actually enabled. The ISP is BT - their broadband
basic offering.

snip

OK cheers - thanks for your help. It's a sunny day out there though,
you should be in the jacuzzi with a pina colada, not stuck inside
giving me tips on DSL synching.

It's not so sunny here (Bucks) - overcast with occasional showers.

Oh well, perhaps better then since I'm still nowhere on getting this BT
connection working. The BT ADSL modem fails to connect with the exactly the
same error (status is "training") as the router.

I'll have to try BT. Thanks anyway.

JJ

Old July 22nd 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus Luxton

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:11:45 +0100, "Jonathan"
wrote:

"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in
message ...
Jonathan wrote:
Do all DSL lines "whistle"?

I only ask because I've been trying to get a broadband connection
going and nothing is working. There's no audible disturbance on
the line if I don't use a microfilter so I'm starting to suspect
the line's not actually enabled. The ISP is BT - their broadband
basic offering.

snip

OK cheers - thanks for your help. It's a sunny day out there though,
you should be in the jacuzzi with a pina colada, not stuck inside
giving me tips on DSL synching.

It's not so sunny here (Bucks) - overcast with occasional showers.

Oh well, perhaps better then since I'm still nowhere on getting this BT
connection working. The BT ADSL modem fails to connect with the exactly the
same error (status is "training") as the router.

I installed a BT Broadband connection for my godmother last week and
we had much the same problem, although the line did in fact "whistle"
in this case - I heard it while I was on the phone to the BT engineer
as I forgot to install the microfilter on that extension...

But I digress. The problem turned out to be something to do with a box
or filter that had been installed on the phone line into her house
because it interfered with Radio 4 otherwise?! I'm having to take her
word for what BT actually said the problem was so it could be rubbish,
but the broadband works now, after a BT engineer visited her house to
fix the problem. Just a thought

Gus.

cut the spamtrap to reply
Old July 22nd 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

But I digress. The problem turned out to be something to do with a box
or filter that had been installed on the phone line into her house
because it interfered with Radio 4 otherwise?! I'm having to take her
word for what BT actually said the problem was so it could be rubbish,
but the broadband works now, after a BT engineer visited her house to
fix the problem. Just a thought

There was a thread on this NG about just this problem OP date 15/7/04
Subject = Speed touch problem / maximum reach of broad band / rf filters?

Look it up on Google Groups if your NNTP server has expired it.

Graham.

--
%Profound_observation%