Wanadoo/Freeserve launch "LiveBox"

Old July 19th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Wanadoo/Freeserve launch "LiveBox"

A Wanadoo/freeserve press release..

---
Wanadoo, the UK's favourite ISP and a leading European Broadband provider,
today announces the launch of "Livebox" - the UK's first Broadband Gateway
solution for the home, offering a full Wireless Broadband solution.

At launch in August, Wanadoo's Livebox will initially offer Wireless
Broadband as standard. Over the next few months, as the UK Broadband market
evolves, the revolutionary piece of equipment, which is being rolled out
across Europe, will accept a variety of new Broadband services being
introduced by Wanadoo, including Bluetooth, Voice over Internet Protocol
(VoIP) and TV on demand.

Livebox's Wireless functionality enables Wanadoo Broadband customers to use
their Broadband connection anywhere in the house and garden - within a range
of approximately 30 metres - as well as connecting multiple machines and
gaming consoles to create their own home network.

- No more cumbersome cables, letting users connect from any room in the
house, or move around with a laptop
- Everyone in the home can access the Internet at the same time from their
own computer, with no wires needed
- A single connection serves all the computers and gaming consoles in the
home
- Livebox has a range of up to 30 metres - making working in the garden
dependent only on the weather
- Secure connection - Wanadoo's Livebox uses the latest security
technologies to keep users' wireless connections private, including a
built-in firewall, and enhanced protection features provided at no
additional cost to all Wanadoo customers, including McAfeeT Privacy Service,
email spam filtering and email virus protection
- Online gaming without the wires - Wanadoo Broadband is an official
Broadband partner for PlayStation Net

This offer is particularly attractive for Broadband users who have two or
more PCs or laptops at home (53 per cent of UK Broadband users), and for
families with children (approx. 39 per cent of Broadband users)

Eric Abensur, Wanadoo CEO, said: "The launch of Livebox marks the start of
an exciting new phase in the UK Internet market. As our Broadband service
continues to grow, Livebox's secure Wireless solution brings users greater
freedom to surf not only whenever they want, but from wherever they want,
opening up a host of new uses. This solution is matched to the needs and
expectations of all our customers and perfectly illustrates our core value
of simplicity. We look forward to announcing further uses and benefits of
the Livebox over the coming months."

Priced at just 79.99 for everything users need to get connected wirelessly,
Wanadoo believes its new Gateway is the best value for money and most
user-friendly Wireless offer on the market, and also benefits from the fact
that customers will be able to add a whole new range of functionality to the
product as the Broadband market develops. Wanadoo's Livebox is only for use
with Wanadoo Broadband - subscribers get high speed Broadband for only
17.99 per month with Wanadoo's popular Broadband 512k product.

Setting up Livebox takes only a few minutes. Wanadoo will provide a simple
guide for customers to follow, removing any worries customers may have in
setting up a Wireless connection.

Customers who want a Wanadoo Livebox, can register their interest now by
emailing
---

Regards
Sunil

Old July 19th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spoon

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:18:08 +0100, [Sunil Sood] mentioned :-

A Wanadoo/freeserve press release..

..

perhaps they want to stop their abyssmal service of spam pr0n dialler
hosting first. perso.wanadoo.es not to mention their voila.fr servers
being continually abused by a pr0n spammer.

They have little clue about how to stop it. They do not reply to abuse
emails, or shut down these "personal" servers, they ignore it. This is
spam support.
Old July 19th 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
A Wanadoo/freeserve press release..

---
Wanadoo, the UK's favourite ISP and a leading European Broadband provider,
today announces the launch of "Livebox" - the UK's first Broadband Gateway
solution for the home, offering a full Wireless Broadband solution.

snip

[...]

Err, that sounds just like a wireless router, or have I missed something
?!...

Old July 19th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 19 Jul 2004, :::Jerry:::: uttered the following:

Err, that sounds just like a wireless router, or have I missed something
?!...

That's what it appears to be...

--
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?
Old July 19th 04, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Phil Chung wrote:
On 19 Jul 2004, :::Jerry:::: uttered the following:

Err, that sounds just like a wireless router, or have I missed something
?!...

That's what it appears to be...

No, it's a wireless router as described by a marketing team.

I got bored with the press release and stopped reading - did they manage
to jam in the words 'solution' or 'system' too?

L3K

Old July 19th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Linker3000 wrote:

Phil Chung wrote:

On 19 Jul 2004, :::Jerry:::: uttered the following:

Err, that sounds just like a wireless router, or have I missed something
?!...

That's what it appears to be...

No, it's a wireless router as described by a marketing team.

I got bored with the press release and stopped reading - did they manage
to jam in the words 'solution' or 'system' too?

L3K

Ah - 'solution' - 3 lines in, twice! (I really did give up early!)

Extra points to the marketing droids for:

'evolution'
'revolutionary'
'functionality'
'exciting'

Old July 19th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 19 Jul 2004, Linker3000 uttered the following:

Ah - 'solution' - 3 lines in, twice! (I really did give up early!)

Extra points to the marketing droids for:

'evolution'
'revolutionary'
'functionality'
'exciting'

Maybe they've been playing with this:

http://www.dack.com/web/bull****.html

--
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
Old July 19th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Wanadoo, the UK's favourite ISP

Really ?????

Dave
Old July 19th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Ah - 'solution' - 3 lines in, twice! (I really did give up early!)

Extra points to the marketing droids for:

'evolution'
'revolutionary'
'functionality'
'exciting'

Maybe they've been playing with this:

My wife and I don't bother to read the Chairman of the Governors annual
report of my Sons school, we simply count the number of times the word
'ETHOS' is used

Old July 21st 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
Wanadoo, the UK's favourite ISP and a leading European Broadband
provider, today announces the launch of "Livebox" - the UK's first
Broadband Gateway solution for the home, offering a full Wireless
Broadband solution.

Err, that sounds just like a wireless router, or have I missed
something ?!...

Well, it has bluetooth support as well...

I think the biggest problem is that I believe this one will only be
available to Wandoo customers and probably locked down - so it can only be
used on their service (until someone works out how to hack it )

The Bluetooth support is an interesting addition though - I wonder if they
plan to compete with BT's BluePhone plans - probably using Orange (as they
are all FT owned)

Regards
Sunil