OK what gives?

Old July 20th 04, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dark Star

Default OK what gives?

Just used a "modified" BT extention cable to run from the BT inlet upto my
PC - pre ADSL install - the main pairs on the ADSL V1.0 "master" spliter at
the back on points 2 and 5 - stupidly connect the ADSL point to my dial up
modem then try to connect - only for it to connect no problems. So either
I've bypassed the ADSL filtering some how OR it's not a***d or something...

I give up - technology confoozez me.

Head vrs wall - wall wins.

Thanks for any hints, clues, confused looks and screaming along the lines of
"you ... what?" or "Oi! You! Numpty!"

Take care all and all the best.

--
Beastiality: 9 out of 10 cats said their owners prefered it.
He's cracked! You keep him talking - I'll get a net.

DS

Old July 20th 04, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Just used a "modified" BT extention cable to run from the BT inlet upto my
PC - pre ADSL install - the main pairs on the ADSL V1.0 "master" spliter at
the back on points 2 and 5 - stupidly connect the ADSL point to my dial up
modem then try to connect - only for it to connect no problems. So either
I've bypassed the ADSL filtering some how OR it's not a***d or something...

Well, it took a while for me to decipher wtf you were talking about, but
I think in essence you`ve connected the adsl lead into the telephone
socket on the back of your standard modem.

That would work AFAIK.

Old July 20th 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Kelly

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
Just used a "modified" BT extention cable to run from the BT inlet upto

my
PC - pre ADSL install - the main pairs on the ADSL V1.0 "master" spliter

at
the back on points 2 and 5 - stupidly connect the ADSL point to my dial

up
modem then try to connect - only for it to connect no problems. So

either
I've bypassed the ADSL filtering some how OR it's not a***d or

something...

Well, it took a while for me to decipher wtf you were talking about, but
I think in essence you`ve connected the adsl lead into the telephone
socket on the back of your standard modem.

That would work AFAIK.

Have you been on a special course that allows you to decipher this type of
post?

Old July 20th 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "John Kelly" wrote:

"Colin Wilson" wrote
Well, it took a while for me to decipher wtf you were talking about, but
I think in essence you`ve connected the adsl lead into the telephone
socket on the back of your standard modem.
That would work AFAIK.

Have you been on a special course that allows you to decipher this type of
post?

Whatever the course, I've been on the same one, I think. I had planned to
post that I've swapped the cable from the ADSL modem to a 56k modem to use
(to test the 56k modem; I avoid them nowadays :-) But at 04:00 I thought
it may have been assumed to have taken foreign substances to make head or
tail of the query, and although there's some booze in the house, I had a
bit of cider at lunchtime yesterday, so not under any special influence
Old July 20th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dark Star

Well, it took a while for me to decipher wtf you were talking about,
but
I think in essence you`ve connected the adsl lead into the telephone
socket on the back of your standard modem.
That would work AFAIK.

Have you been on a special course that allows you to decipher this type

of
post?

Whatever the course, I've been on the same one, I think. I had planned to
post that I've swapped the cable from the ADSL modem to a 56k modem to use
(to test the 56k modem; I avoid them nowadays :-) But at 04:00 I thought
it may have been assumed to have taken foreign substances to make head or
tail of the query, and although there's some booze in the house, I had a
bit of cider at lunchtime yesterday, so not under any special influence

Right to confirm this - I have a BT extention cable running from the only BT
socket in the house - the end has been removed and hard-wired into the back
of the filter - not at the BT plug end but at the 3 push-in type connectors
where you physicaly pus the cable into the grippers and it forms a
connection when it bites through the insulator.

From there I have my normal phone connected to the BT point and also at the
ADSL point I have my V.90 modem connected.

I was under the assumption that the ADSL and Phone Line frequencies were
split and were not mixed after the "customer side" of the filter.

Old July 20th 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:01:00 +0100, "Dark Star"
strung together this:

Just used a "modified" BT extention cable to run from the BT inlet upto my
PC - pre ADSL install - the main pairs on the ADSL V1.0 "master" spliter at
the back on points 2 and 5 - stupidly connect the ADSL point to my dial up
modem then try to connect - only for it to connect no problems. So either
I've bypassed the ADSL filtering some how OR it's not a***d or something...

I give up - technology confoozez me.

I've been reading this all morning, now I've worked out the encoding
of it I think I can answer your question. (Was there one)?
Anyway, that's correct, it should work like that, ADSL has no filters
as such.
I can't be arsed to explain in the same style as you posted, but just
don't do anything, it's not wrong.
(My head hurts now)
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 20th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:29:16 +0100, "Dark Star"
strung together this:

I was under the assumption that the ADSL and Phone Line frequencies were
split and were not mixed after the "customer side" of the filter.

No, ADSL filtering doesn't touch the ADSL side of things. Your ADSL
extension socket is directly wired to 2+5 on the master socket. The
filter is between 2+5 on the master and the POTS socket(s).
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 20th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dark Star

I was under the assumption that the ADSL and Phone Line frequencies were
split and were not mixed after the "customer side" of the filter.

No, ADSL filtering doesn't touch the ADSL side of things. Your ADSL
extension socket is directly wired to 2+5 on the master socket. The
filter is between 2+5 on the master and the POTS socket(s).

Ahh, I see now - so the ADSL socket has the full range and the POTS is
filtered to allow only below X frequency.

Thanks all.

Old July 20th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dark Star

I give up - technology confoozez me.

I've been reading this all morning, now I've worked out the encoding
of it I think I can answer your question. (Was there one)?
Anyway, that's correct, it should work like that, ADSL has no filters
as such.
I can't be arsed to explain in the same style as you posted, but just
don't do anything, it's not wrong.
(My head hurts now)

Sorry - It was 2AM when I posted my head wa full of networking and such and
I could not get my brain in the right gear to post - so i just went for it
and hoped someone could understand it.

Take care and thanks again.