Virgin.net broadband question

Old July 20th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

Default Virgin.net broadband question

Does anyone have the above? If so, although it says on their website that
only one machine should be connected at a time, is it possible to configure
an internet connection sharing machine and a hub together to allow multiple
machines to get simultaneous access? Also, is the service really unlimited
download bandwidth - their helpguide ignores this point...

Thanks for any help.

Old July 20th 04, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

nospam wrote:

Does anyone have the above? If so, although it says on their website
that only one machine should be connected at a time, is it possible
to configure an internet connection sharing machine and a hub
together to allow multiple machines to get simultaneous access? Also,
is the service really unlimited download bandwidth - their helpguide
ignores this point...

Thanks for any help.

Many ISP's market their 512kbs service as being suitable for a single
computer - and don't support the use of routers etc. to share the
connection.

However, the connection *can* be shared - no problem - just don't ask
Virgin for help if you have any problems with it.

The best solution is to get yourself a combined ADSL modem/router/firewall.
One cable connects this to the phone sockets, and each computer connects to
it using a normal ethernet connection (so each computer needs a network
card/port). You can even go 'wireless' if you buy a wireless router and
wireless network cards for your PCs.

[I have a wireless router which enables me to share my PlusNet 512kbs ADSL
connection between up to 4 wired computers and a very large number of
wireless ones. In the event, I have 3 wired computers and one wireless
laptop].

Don't know whether Virgin's service is capped - sorry.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 20th 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

no problem with "sharing" the connection with Virgin. I use a wireless
d-link router and separate ethernet modem. my pc is wired, my flatmate's
laptop is wireless.

Virgin service is not capped, however if you start downloading too muc too
regularly, they send you an email asking you not to!!

HTH

. ..

Old July 20th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Bates

As Piers said, Virgin ADSL is strictly not capped. However I think they
enforce an informal 1gb/day limit.. start pulling some gigs on p2p and
you'll soon notice an email!

Virgin CS also told me that the cap will be more strictly enforced after
the summer.

Wrt to the actual service, it's not bad at all.. I've had a consistent
60k from UK sites and a good news/mail connection.

Customer support though... lol. You don't wanna know.

hth,
Matt

Piers James wrote:
no problem with "sharing" the connection with Virgin. I use a wireless
d-link router and separate ethernet modem. my pc is wired, my flatmate's
laptop is wireless.

Virgin service is not capped, however if you start downloading too muc too
regularly, they send you an email asking you not to!!

HTH

. ..

Old July 21st 04, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.