Calling cards & FWD

Old July 20th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Robin

Default Calling cards & FWD

Hi there all.

Been doing a bot of research into VoIP, and read in an old usenet post, the
idea of using the 0800 gateway from FWD to access calling card services, and
thus make cheap phone calls.

I am interested to know if anyone out there is doing this. Also, there are
lots of phone cards around in the UK, which ones do folk recommend?
Obviously I am paying only 0.5p per minute to call via my landline, and
although call18866 offer freephone access, it is CLI based. So what options
have I got? Who are the cheapest phone card people in the UK? Or come to
that, in the Netherlands or USA (as freephone calls are free from FWD to
those countries too)?

Many thanks for your responses.

Robin

Old July 20th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
News Reader

Hi,

You could try:

- stanaphone
- gossiptel
- your suggestion here

.... which (I believe) all present a proper length unique CLI of your voip
account telephone number, if you are happy with the security of such a
configuration.

If you try this please let me know your results (e.g. with call18866) via a
suitable post in this newsgroup.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old July 21st 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

I think you will find that the 0800 gateway is down. The numbers I used to
use now are barred.

Ian

Old July 21st 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
dave

"News Reader" wrote in message ...
Hi,

You could try:

- stanaphone
- gossiptel
- your suggestion here

... which (I believe) all present a proper length unique CLI of your voip
account telephone number, if you are happy with the security of such a
configuration.

You can't use 18866 from Gossiptel because they give you an 0870
number which call18866 won't let you register on their system.

The only VoIP services I have found that give numbers you can register
with 18866 are BT BBV and Gradwell.net. Both have a monthly fee so for
most people it won't be worth it.

On the original subject, I doubt you'll find an 0800 calling card that
allows calls to the UK at 0.5p or less.

dave
Old July 21st 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Well, I've tried Stanaphone. Superb service! Granted, I've only made a
few calls this morning with them, but so far the service seems to be
excellent. The people I spoke to were on landlines, and were not aware
I was not on my normal home phone! I could hear a slight reduction in
quality, but not significant.

My next mission is to get Xten's XLITE software to allow me to use the
Stenaphone network. I have followed the instructions on their website,
but have not managed to get it to connect....it still shows my FWD
number and details. When I try to dial through Proxy1 (which is the
Stenephone setup), nothing happens.

Anyone been able to make it work?

And what are good 0800 calling card rates in the UK? 5p per minute is
the Post Office charge. What are others charging?

Robin
Old July 21st 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Ramsden

Robin wrote:

Hi there all.

Been doing a bot of research into VoIP, and read in an old usenet post,
the idea of using the 0800 gateway from FWD to access calling card
services, and thus make cheap phone calls.

I am interested to know if anyone out there is doing this. Also, there
are lots of phone cards around in the UK, which ones do folk recommend?
Obviously I am paying only 0.5p per minute to call via my landline, and
although call18866 offer freephone access, it is CLI based. So what
options
have I got? Who are the cheapest phone card people in the UK? Or come to
that, in the Netherlands or USA (as freephone calls are free from FWD to
those countries too)?

My VoIP is free between phones, perhaps this is the cheapest?

I have a Greentel VoIP Broadband phone, where you can phone anyone with
another greentel phone for free anywhere in the world. X(You only pay the
initail cost of the phones, I sent friends in Aus and Spain one each.

If you call any other type phone a charge is made per minute according to
the called country mobile etc. The call charge cards are reimbursed on line
with Greentel.

You can compare the call costs on their site at www.greentel.cjb.net.
Is this the VoIP call charges you are referring to or is there another
provider I can use for my Greentel phone?

Are the charges you use cheaper than the Greentel phones call list, as I
would be interested if yours are cheaper?

--
Many thanks for your responses.

Robin

--
Lioncom adsl 4 port router, Nildram adsl running on Redhat 7.3. You can see
and hear me and my pal Joe Longthorne on uktalent.org.
Old July 21st 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:43:41 +0100, in uk.telecom,
John Smith wrote:

and we can get BT Communicator from where?

Google groups (replacement for www.dejanews.com) is your friend
(for future times when there might have been a post but you've
not tried to locate the details yourself). However, just see
http://www.bt.com/btcommunicator/ (from post on 29/06/04,
by Sunil Sood, who posts lots of useful URLs! Set a watch
to keep all his posts!!) Peter M.
--
TalkTalk for free calls to other TT customers...
Reductions on calls to up to 3 mobile numbers...
Old July 21st 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 21 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, John Smith wrote:

Google groups (replacement for www.dejanews.com) is your friend
(for future times when there might have been a post but you've
not tried to locate the details yourself).

Believe it or not, I had actually already searched Google

I assume you were looking at www.google.com for this. If so,
then do, please, look at www.dejanews.com or use "Groups" link
on www.google.com and you'll be able to view newsgroup posts!
Old July 22nd 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Corlett

John Smith wrote:
[...]
No, I was looking for the website, not a usenet post.

So you're artificially limiting where you perform your research
because it's not in the same medium as the information you're looking
for?

Does this mean you only ever use Directory Enquiries to find phone
numbers instead of looking in your address book?

--
Vice is its own reward. It is virtue which, if it is to be marketed with
consumer appeal, must carry Green Shield stamps.
Old July 22nd 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Corlett

John Smith wrote:
[...]
I was looking for a *web* site so I did a Google *web* search.

Congratulations, you've just won the "missing the point" award for
today.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key