ADSL which keeps on dropping out

Old July 21st 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abso

Default ADSL which keeps on dropping out

Last summer I had a problem - my ADSL would often go faulty meaning
that my trusty Speedtouch USB would indicate a connection present until
I actually tried to use the connection to download email or access the
web.

As soon as it arrived, the problem left.

Now I have the same problem, but more persistant. I'm now using a
different device (Netgear DG632) but the symptoms are the same.
Connection drops out

--
Abso [at] ukrm [dot] net

The FAQ for upce is at http://upce.org.uk and http://ebayfaq.co.uk
Old July 21st 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abso

Abso wrote:

Last summer I had a problem - my ADSL would often go faulty meaning
that my trusty Speedtouch USB would indicate a connection present
until I actually tried to use the connection to download email or
access the web.

As soon as it arrived, the problem left.

Now I have the same problem, but more persistant. I'm now using a
different device (Netgear DG632) but the symptoms are the same.
Connection drops out

Bad form and all but that one popped out before it was ready, so let me
complete:

Connection drops out as soon as I actually try to transfer data.
Interestingly I can fix it by either dialing my landline number from my
mobile, or by connecting or disconnecting (or picking up the receiver
on) a telephone connected to the same line. It's like it needs
resetting somewhere.

Any ideas anyone?

Old July 21st 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Last summer I had a problem - my ADSL would often go faulty meaning
that my trusty Speedtouch USB would indicate a connection present
until I actually tried to use the connection to download email or
access the web.

As soon as it arrived, the problem left.

What arrived???

I thought he probably meant to say that the problem went away as suddenly as
it came.

I Still see that NTL are time-shifting your posts, why don't you use a third
party Usenet service?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 21st 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Abso

Kraftii wrote:

Abso wrote:
Last summer I had a problem - my ADSL would often go faulty meaning
that my trusty Speedtouch USB would indicate a connection present
until I actually tried to use the connection to download email or
access the web.

As soon as it arrived, the problem left.

What arrived???

The problem.

Now I have the same problem, but more persistant. I'm now using a
different device (Netgear DG632) but the symptoms are the same.
Connection drops out

If you actually made sense then perhaps you may get some reasonable
suggestions,

Yes well I hadn't finished typing the message when Xananews decided it
was time to send it.

as it is all I would suggest is unplugging all other
telephoney devices (including Sky) & see if that makes any
difference.

The only other device I have connected to the line is a bog standard BT
analogue telephone and the problem occurs equally whether the phone is
plugged in or not. However the act of unplugging or plugging-in the
phone will clear the fault for a few hours.

If not then go back to your main socket & after
disconnecting all other extensions try again there (recently had a
spate of flat extension cables causing SNR problems, all solved by
removing said extensions)....

If the problem persists then it is out of your hands & you'll have to
go down the route of reporting the problem to your ISP who'll would
(hopefully, but don't count on it) report it to BT who would then
send someone to check things out (you may have a minor line fault).

But all that is plain guess work & basic faulting techniques as what
information you've provided doesn't make much sense.

Well it's got me foxed.

Old July 21st 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Abso wrote:
Last summer I had a problem - my ADSL would often go faulty meaning
that my trusty Speedtouch USB would indicate a connection present
until I actually tried to use the connection to download email or
access the web.

As soon as it arrived, the problem left.

What arrived???

Now I have the same problem, but more persistant. I'm now using a
different device (Netgear DG632) but the symptoms are the same.
Connection drops out

If you actually made sense then perhaps you may get some reasonable
suggestions, as it is all I would suggest is unplugging all other telephoney
devices (including Sky) & see if that makes any difference. If not then go

Old July 22nd 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:52:55 +0000, Abso wrote:

Connection drops out as soon as I actually try to transfer data.
Interestingly I can fix it by either dialing my landline number from my
mobile, or by connecting or disconnecting (or picking up the receiver on)
a telephone connected to the same line. It's like it needs resetting
somewhere.

Any ideas anyone?

from what I've heard on this group this sounds like a corroded joint,the
act of your phone ringing(relitivly high voltage signal 90V odd RMS)breaks
down the very small layer of corrosion.

Martin
Old July 22nd 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Graham wrote:
Last summer I had a problem - my ADSL would often go faulty
meaning that my trusty Speedtouch USB would indicate a connection
present until I actually tried to use the connection to download
email or access the web.

As soon as it arrived, the problem left.

What arrived???

I thought he probably meant to say that the problem went away as
suddenly as it came.

I Still see that NTL are time-shifting your posts, why don't you
use a third party Usenet service?

Because in the next 40 days I'll be kicking them into touch, but I mean to
get my monies worth. It's yet another one of the many problems/errors which
they just can't be arsed to fix. Like the email servers & the usenet
servers & the low bandwidth etc.

Old July 22nd 04, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Martin Warby wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:52:55 +0000, Abso wrote:

Connection drops out as soon as I actually try to transfer data.
Interestingly I can fix it by either dialing my landline number from my
mobile, or by connecting or disconnecting (or picking up the receiver on)
a telephone connected to the same line. It's like it needs resetting
somewhere.

Any ideas anyone?

from what I've heard on this group this sounds like a corroded joint,the
act of your phone ringing(relitivly high voltage signal 90V odd RMS)breaks
down the very small layer of corrosion.

Agree that that's likely.
In this case, NTL can do nothing, only call BT to fix it.
Old July 23rd 04, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:05:03 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

Martin Warby wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:52:55 +0000, Abso wrote:

Connection drops out as soon as I actually try to transfer data.
Interestingly I can fix it by either dialing my landline number from my
mobile, or by connecting or disconnecting (or picking up the receiver
on) a telephone connected to the same line. It's like it needs
resetting somewhere.

Any ideas anyone?

from what I've heard on this group this sounds like a corroded joint,the
act of your phone ringing(relitivly high voltage signal 90V odd
RMS)breaks down the very small layer of corrosion.

Agree that that's likely.
In this case, NTL can do nothing, only call BT to fix it.

I'm lost hows NTL involved in the OPs problem ?

Martin

Old July 23rd 04, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Martin Warby wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:52:55 +0000, Abso wrote:

Connection drops out as soon as I actually try to transfer data.
Interestingly I can fix it by either dialing my landline number from my
mobile, or by connecting or disconnecting (or picking up the receiver
on) a telephone connected to the same line. It's like it needs
resetting somewhere.

Any ideas anyone?

from what I've heard on this group this sounds like a corroded joint,the
act of your phone ringing(relitivly high voltage signal 90V odd
RMS)breaks down the very small layer of corrosion.

Agree that that's likely.
In this case, NTL can do nothing, only call BT to fix it.

I'm lost hows NTL involved in the OPs problem ?

Not.
Got confused with other poster in thread mentioning NTL.
Oops.