Challenging Speedtouch Config Problem

Old July 21st 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Roberts

Default Challenging Speedtouch Config Problem

We have 4 static IP's allocated to us which I want to get to the DMZ of our
Dlink Firewall

The speedtouch has been configured with the router IP and works fine
provided that my laptop has one of our public ip addresses and is connected
directly to the back of the speedtouch box.

The ethernet port on the back of the speedtouch has a private ip address
192.168.23.1 and my laptop with a public ip address can get to it and access
the web configuration screens etc without any difficulty.

If I change the IP address of my laptop to 192.168.23.2 (on the same subnet)
the speedtouch wont even respond to a ping.

The firewall has been disabled by telnetting in and IP then config
firewalling off

Any suggestions?

Phil Roberts

Old July 22nd 04, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Roberts

"Philip Roberts" [email protected] k e a n e r o b e r t s . d o t c o ....GreatBritain
wrote in message ...
[...]

We have something working, but are pretty sure it isn't right.

These are the steps.
1.
Plug the speedtouch directly into the lan port of the laptop and
reconfigure the speedtouch 510 to the 4 static addresses configuration that
was on the cd with the product.
This changes the ip address of the laptop doing the configuring to one of
the public ip addresses but allocates the lan port of the speedtouch a
private ip address 10.0.0.1
Telnet into the speedtouch and disable the firewall from the command line IP
[enter] config firewalling off [enter]

2.
Unplug the laptop from the speedtouch and plug it into the wan port of the
DFL-700 firewall.

3.
Configure the ipaddress of the wan port on the DFL-700 to the same IP
address that the laptop had.

Bingo it works but ....

I don't really want a public IP address on the firewall so I have to work
out how to put the firewall on the same subnet as the speedtouch and still
get it to work.

Phil